Reasons The ALIEN PREQUEL OBVIOUSLY CANNOT INCLUDE ANYTHING LIKE PRIOR FILMS...

Started by Politikon, Feb 12, 2010, 08:07:15 AM

Author
Reasons The ALIEN PREQUEL OBVIOUSLY CANNOT INCLUDE ANYTHING LIKE PRIOR FILMS... (Read 10,471 times)

peanut8

Quote from: Federick Gonsa on Feb 13, 2010, 01:08:21 AM
peanut8, that could be a theory, but it is just that, a theory.

But so is your statement. How would WY know that there was something on Acheron worth picking up? The answer is that they didn't. Or else, would they have really sent a bunch or rowdy miners to pick up the 'perfect organism' when they could have just sent one of their own ships? As for Ash, perhaps it's standard WY proceedure to put synthetics in crews going on WY missions, in order to keep an eye on things?

I just don't believe in all that 'WY is an evil corporation' stuff. In the first film something interesting was picked up by the Nostromo (Or perhaps before, but why wouldn't they send a trusted crew to check it out?) and the decided to investigate. There's nothing evil about that, and when they got a clue that it was valuable they simply said 'crew expendable'. Not 'kill the crew'. In 'Aliens' the evil guy was just Burke, not WY in general, and in 'Alien 3' they wanted to see first-hand what it was that had killed one of their agents and wiped out a whole colony. It was the comics and games that tried to turn WY into the Umbrella Corporation.

Federick Gonsa

Federick Gonsa

Any company that says crew expendable, sounds pretty damn evil to me. If my boss ever told me that in some cases my life is expendable for the good of the company, I would quit. It makes it even worse that the crew was not even told about their "expendability". Anyone that considers an objective more important than human life is evil. But you go think what you want.  OH! And I never said my statement was not a theory. It will all remain a theory until the movie comes out. It's not like I claim to be an omni spient god or something.

Xhan

Quote from: Wolf The Predator on Feb 13, 2010, 06:46:15 AM
I believe that WY knew about the Xenomorphs way before the Nostromo went out on their "job" as a matter of fact I believe the entire thing was just a ploy to somehow attain a member of the xenomorph family for research, if not further research... Who knows for sure, but I believe WY knew about the Aliens Loooooooooong before the first alien movie, somewhat like the AVP movies imply.

- Wolf

Proof is where?

Politikon

ALIEN is non-committal on this issue. It could be that they know about the organism beforehand, but it most certainly does not intend to imply that THE COMPANY knows the Alien is on LV426 before the crew is reverted. At least not in any concrete way. Just that something IS there, the ship, the distress signal, whatever.

I highly doubt it is the intent of the writers to imply that the Company has encountered the Alien in any close-quarters way, besides what happened in the AVP films.

IT MOST CERTAINLY DOES NOT MAKE SENSE TO RE-ROUTE truckers to snatch up the ALIEN if there had been a previous encounter with the Xenomorph. If they had a prior experience with the creature they would know they needed professionals. The Company would not have a problem making them expendable, yes. But if they were so determined to get the creature they would spend the money to insure there investment.

The company did not 'encounter' the ALIEN before the first film.

But ALIEN def wants you to think they know something is there.

The only logical step is to assume the Company knew about The Derelict, or that species, and not much else.

Politikon

"Any company that says crew expendable, sounds pretty damn evil to me. If my boss ever told me that in some cases my life is expendable for the good of the company, I would quit. It makes it even worse that the crew was not even told about their "expendability". Anyone that considers an objective more important than human life is evil."
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Whats funny about this is, Corporations are tried as Individuals in reality and are legally not just
allowed to commit all kinds of evils everyday, so long as it's in The Company's best interest, but actually HAVE to. Because of this its not inconceivable for a Company to find an monetary reason to allow its employees to be expendable. It goes on all the time. Not just death but all kinds of exploitation. Corportions are legally bound to commit all sorts of 'evil deeds'.

The Corporate angle in ALIEN is one of the most believable/ realistic part of it's storyline.

Its sad to say but this is not far off at all.

NETFLIX the movie THE CORPORATION. It makes for an interesting compliment to the Alien Franchise's ''COMPANY."

Wolf The Predator

Quote from: Xhan on Feb 13, 2010, 09:04:06 PM
Quote from: Wolf The Predator on Feb 13, 2010, 06:46:15 AM
I believe that WY knew about the Xenomorphs way before the Nostromo went out on their "job" as a matter of fact I believe the entire thing was just a ploy to somehow attain a member of the xenomorph family for research, if not further research... Who knows for sure, but I believe WY knew about the Aliens Loooooooooong before the first alien movie, somewhat like the AVP movies imply.

- Wolf

Proof is where?

Did you watch the AVP movie at all?

- Wolf

peanut8

Quote from: Wolf The Predator on Feb 13, 2010, 10:09:19 PM
Did you watch the AVP movie at all?

- Wolf

Does it matter?

'Alien' was made over 20 years before 'AvP'. It wouldn't matter for crap if in 'AvP' Weyland had said "I have created this corporation with the intent to find the perfect organism, and nothing shall stand in my, or my succesors', way" because it was created 20 years after the writers of 'Alien' had written theit script for Ridley's movie, in which they wrote whether WY was either evil or not.

So if you want to analyze anything relating to 'Alien', such as WY's intentions with the Nostromo, you have to look at the movie itself, and all the hints and details contained therein. Even Ridley's new prequel, made 30 years later, won't matter because even if it comes up with all these statements about WY's evil or lack thereof, none of that was included in 'Alien'.

Wolf The Predator

I didn't say that AVP was a viable refrence, he asked what proof did avp show that Weyland Yutani knew about the Xenomorphs. It was obvious in AVP, I believe in the alien films its up for discussion.

- Wolf

Federick Gonsa

Even without the Prequel, way before the prequel was announced I still got a sense that the WY knew about the aliens. I just saw Alien like 2 weeks ago, and I still see as if Ash was hiding something from the crew, as if he knew more about what he let out, as if he was setting up the crew to go and check that signal no matter what.

Wolf The Predator

Quote from: Federick Gonsa on Feb 13, 2010, 11:03:05 PM
Even without the Prequel, way before the prequel was announced I still got a sense that the WY knew about the aliens. I just saw Alien like 2 weeks ago, and I still see as if Ash was hiding something from the crew, as if he knew more about what he let out, as if he was setting up the crew to go and check that signal no matter what.

I feel the same exact way... and regardless of whether there is or isn't any proof, you don't need proof to determine ideas.

- Wolf

Crainy

Well, i think the idea behind "did Weyland Yutani knew about the alien before ALIEN?" goes like this:
Weyland Yutani has gotten the Warning Signal from the Space Jockeys. They encoded it and there was a description of the alien within. Thats it. They knew theoreticaly what the alien was, so they wanted it. However, they had never seen it or anything.

And DONT mention AVP, i dont think anything in that movie can be considered as "cannon".

OpenMaw

Alien³

AVP/2 have nothing to do with the Alien series or Predator.

SM

Quoteand I still see as if Ash was hiding something from the crew, as if he knew more about what he let out, as if he was setting up the crew to go and check that signal no matter what.

That's a fact and isn't open to interpretation.  Ash had his special order and followed it.

Him having a special order does not in any way equate to the Company knowing all about the Alien.  What exactly is there in the AvPs that show us they do anyway?  And why - if they did - did they send tug jockies after something so important, and then never follow it up afterwards.

Xenoscream

Hey nice discussion guys.

My take on it is this:

The big bad company did NOT know.

But SOMEONE working for WY did, and just like Burke was out for personal gain.

In my imagination, this would be someone fairly senior in WY who will either be someone in the prequel who knows about the Alien first hand, or got some kind of report  - whether this is simply a translation of the signal or not doesn't matter.

This person then sneakily arranges for Ash to be put on the Nostromo as they know that is the ship which will go past the planet, they can't risk telling the higher ups about it as then administration steps in and there are no exclusive rights for anyone, nobody wins... so they give the order to Ash, they sit and wait.

Then sh*t happens and the ship blows up!!! Loosing all that ore, millions in adjusted dollars. The guy at the company craps his pants and covers it all up, no-one can trace it back to him, or knows what happens to the Nostromo.

He thanks his lucky stars there are no survivors, retries early on Earth with a nice pension, and dies 20 years later with the secret of the signal, derelict, Ash, Aliens, dieing with him.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed