Sign the petition - Dedicated Servers and Mod Tools for AvP3

Started by |ES|REDRUM|LDR|, Oct 21, 2009, 08:56:20 PM

Author
Sign the petition - Dedicated Servers and Mod Tools for AvP3 (Read 28,773 times)

Xhan

Not necessarily. Some companies have games with counts around that size in instanced servers, and more are on the way.

|ES|REDRUM|LDR|

AvP2 had horrible netcode, but that was specific to the Lithtech engine, not a problem with dedicated servers per se.

Yeah 18 players being mentioned is reassuring.  18 does not sound possible with listen/P2P.  Waay to much lag.  But, I would really like to see something confirmed.

Hopefully there will be an official statement from Rebellion or Sega...

Brother

Not a word in the MP reviews so far. Maybe on the actual expo tomorrow.

affinity

they wouldn't dare make the same mistake MW2 is making.

especially 18 players???????  wow.  back then when I had 360,  Rainbow Six at most supported 14,
and 16 is one player used their console as the dedicated server (they can't play though.) 

18 sounds sooooooooo EPIC!!!!!! I would of never raised the expectation that high for multiplayer. 

They really are gonna need a good selection of huge maps to prevent the experience from being as
dumbed down and sloppy  as Quake 3 or any other DM shooter.

|ES|REDRUM|LDR|

Tuesday 27-Oct-2009 4:00 PM

Interview with Rebellion's Senior Producer, David Brickley.  Either he doesn't know or he's avoiding the question.  This could be a very bad sign.....

So is that a yes or a no on the dedicated servers?

Brickley: As I said the game is still quite a way from release so I guess there are other things to be determined during that time.

Full interview here:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=226009

Xhan

QuoteThis is a title that we want to support for a long time to come

That's usually marketing speak for "no, but we like the preorder numbers, so you're not going to hear anything until two weeks before launch".

yaji

Quote from: Xhan on Oct 27, 2009, 05:35:51 PM
That's usually marketing speak for "no, but we like the preorder numbers, so you're not going to hear anything until two weeks before launch".

Yup, I remember the same speak before the launch of FEAR2. Devs didnt said a word about lack of dedicated servers. Now the game is dead. Almost no one plays it.

Aliens vs Predator 3 (2010 - 2010) Goodnight Sweet Prince

snaileri

snaileri

Sounds like no dedicated servers :S
Another console port, dead on arrival.

affinity

Maybe the consoles versions will get dedicated servers.    So if thats the case then the biggest AVP communities are gonna be on console.   ;D

EC jay

EC jay

dream on

also, what is their friggin problem these days?  :-[
don't they get that without dedicated servers people won't keep playing online?
it's a proven fact ffs, no dedicated servers = dead game
I wish devs would start learning from their mistakes

Private W Hudson

Caosss

I friggin hope avp has dedicated servers, I didnt even have any doubts/thoughts about this before this thread popped up, the thought now scares me.. Its what made me stay away from MW2.. Dedicated servers are just way to good compared to "match making". My biggest personal reason for this is, that not only does games have their communities, but good servers usually have a community which you can return to too. I like that.
Ofcs theres lots of other reasons too which ppl have pointed out, and my posts is running too long for my own good so Ill stop now.

affinity

Sega and Rebellion are not involved with MW2, 

So why the sudden paranoia?   Sega always hosts servers.  well maybe, then again then never published a FPS before.

maybe Rebellion will host them?  hmmm well it might be costly to maintain.    maybe Sony can do it for them.

Brother

It will cost them more if they don't have dedicated servers for the game.

|ES|REDRUM|LDR|

Dedicated servers don't cost the developers or publishers anything.  Typically they don't even host servers, although they may host a handful of token "Official" servers.

The way it works is that The PC Community are the  people renting dedicated servers from Game Server Providers out of our own pockets for our clans and communities.  If anything the devs and publishers probably make licensing money from the GSPs for every server they rent.  There are 10,000+ dedicated serverrs right now worldwide for CoD4- do the math.

Dedicated servers are the heart and soul of the PC Community,  We pay for them, we mod them we admin them an we build our clans and communities around them.  We need dedicated servers and mod tools for AvP3!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed