The Thing Thread

Started by Nobody, Feb 27, 2009, 12:27:02 AM

Author
The Thing Thread (Read 448,753 times)

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

If big budget- bring it outside Antarctica, make it apocalyptic.
If DTV- Russian station.

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Now that this movie is out, I NEED this game to get made...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsccCFtmwXk#

Effectz

Effectz

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Oct 17, 2011, 08:57:59 PM

Have you ever played the first game?I did,its terrible.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Effectz on Oct 17, 2011, 09:03:48 PM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on Oct 17, 2011, 08:57:59 PM

Have you ever played the first game?I did,its terrible.
Part of that was because it had all these really ambitious ideas regarding trust and infection with the NPCs that the technology of the time just couldn't support. If it were made today, using today's AI technology, it might be more successful. I sure wouldn't mind seeing another game.

r888

r888

Quote from: scarhunter92 on Oct 17, 2011, 10:36:39 AM
Quote from: r888 on Oct 17, 2011, 04:37:36 AM
I just came back from the 5th time, going to watch it again for a 6th

Dude...

well I liked it
Im been waiting for a thing movie for years now I really happy to watch something like this again, also I watch for mary

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Quote from: r888 on Oct 18, 2011, 03:37:41 AM
well I liked it
Im been waiting for a thing movie for years now I really happy to watch something like this again

Good enough reason.

Quote from: r888 on Oct 18, 2011, 03:37:41 AM
also I watch for mary

...until it got stalkerish.

Ash 937

Ash 937

Why is it that when a game developer builds a horror IP from scratch (Dead Space, Resident Evil, etc.), the game are often very good but when a game developer uses an horror IP from a film franchise (Saw, The Thing, etc.), the games very often suck???

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Not enough room for creativity, probably. There's gotta be a lot of pressure to evoke the movies, and therefore not enough room for expansion.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

The Thing game didn't suck because it was based on an existing IP, it sucked because the technology of the time couldn't make an appropriate Thing game involving the gameplay elements they wanted to include.

Also the Saw games are pretty cool for budget games. They're essentially halfway-clever puzzle games that happen to have fatal consequences if you mess up. They're pretty neat.

Also Dead Space, despite being a new IP, isn't terribly "original" - it cribs very heavily from Alien, Event Horizon, and (you guessed it), The Thing. :P
The plot is also 100% formulaic. When you think about it, all of these movies and games have the same exact plot structure:
- Event Horizon (movie)
- Deep Rising (movie)
- Dead Space 1 (game)
- Cold Fear (game)
- Virus (movie)
- Ghost Ship (movie)

Smaller rescue ship docks with larger vessel, finds the passengers missing, smaller ship gets disabled/destroyed and strands the rescue crew onboard, rescue crew ends up fighting for their lives against some sort of crazy supernatural/alien threat, everyone dies except 1 or 2 characters who barely manage to escape. Sometimes ends with a last-minute jump-scare just before the credits roll (Dead Space, Virus, Ghost Ship, Event Horizon).

Seriously all of those movies and games are exactly the same. :P

Sylizar

Sylizar

And yet ALL of them are aesome. Go figure.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I wasn't saying it was a BAD thing. :P

Glaive

Glaive

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 18, 2011, 05:51:41 AM
The Thing game didn't suck because it was based on an existing IP, it sucked because the technology of the time couldn't make an appropriate Thing game involving the gameplay elements they wanted to include.

Also the Saw games are pretty cool for budget games. They're essentially halfway-clever puzzle games that happen to have fatal consequences if you mess up. They're pretty neat.

Also Dead Space, despite being a new IP, isn't terribly "original" - it cribs very heavily from Alien, Event Horizon, and (you guessed it), The Thing. :P
The plot is also 100% formulaic. When you think about it, all of these movies and games have the same exact plot structure:
- Event Horizon (movie)
- Deep Rising (movie)
- Dead Space 1 (game)
- Cold Fear (game)
- Virus (movie)
- Ghost Ship (movie)

Smaller rescue ship docks with larger vessel, finds the passengers missing, smaller ship gets disabled/destroyed and strands the rescue crew onboard, rescue crew ends up fighting for their lives against some sort of crazy supernatural/alien threat, everyone dies except 1 or 2 characters who barely manage to escape. Sometimes ends with a last-minute jump-scare just before the credits roll (Dead Space, Virus, Ghost Ship, Event Horizon).

So YOU'RE the OTHER GUY who played 'Cold Fear'...now I don't feel so ALONE!

Highland

Highland

Funny, I just watched Deep rising, Virus and Leviathan on You tube the other week at work. Such good brainless entertainment to pass the time!

Had they been released yesterday however it' be all.... "The CGI totally ruined it for me!" , "Whats with the shitty characters, I can't even remember their name!" , "This movie had no story, it was just a generic action flick!" "Man worst movie I've ever seen, made me sick!"

Like fine wine, some movie's just need to fester in obscurity for 12 years before they become appreciated.

Edit: Deep Rising kind of had a last scene scare, with the roar from the Jungle.

Snowdog

Snowdog

Quote from: Glaive on Oct 18, 2011, 08:46:24 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 18, 2011, 05:51:41 AM

- Event Horizon (movie)
- Deep Rising (movie)
- Dead Space 1 (game)
- Cold Fear (game)
- Virus (movie)
- Ghost Ship (movie)

So YOU'RE the OTHER GUY who played 'Cold Fear'...now I don't feel so ALONE!

Make that 3 of us  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed