Alien Anthology Discussion

Started by AVP66, Feb 19, 2009, 04:11:42 PM

Author
Alien Anthology Discussion (Read 364,192 times)

predxeno

predxeno

So a PS3 playihng Blu-Rays isn't as good as a Blu-Ray player? :o

Vulhala

Vulhala

No. With the hardware it has, it should easily be the best on the market even now. It's even something that could be patched, but Sony just haven't done it.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Then blame the ps3 not the format? can't believe you tried to make me share your pain by getting a ps3.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Yeah, I was a little hasty blaming the format. When I looked into it a little bit further earlier I realised my mistake.

BluRay, we have no beef.

Sony.....it's on.

Cellien

Cellien

It's not really the PS3 or Blu-Ray format that's an issue, it's a limitation of your TV.  Film is 24p and Blu-Ray is just giving the most accurate picture possible.  You can try setting your PS3 to a different refresh rate to see if it helps.  I'm in the U.S. so I'm not completely sure if it can switch to 50hz, but according to this link you can.

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/movies/detail/linked224928/item124744/Adjust-50-Hz-Video-Output-settings/

bleau

bleau

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 16, 2010, 10:21:44 AM
It was worth every  penny of that 40 quid. No regrets.

Also does anyone have a Blu-ray drive and can take screencaps?

I have 720p rips, they are encoded in smaller files, but in 720p native resolution. Still better than DVD, they look great. I can take screencaps of those.
Quote from: Vulhala on Dec 16, 2010, 02:23:26 PM
European TV's all support 50hz playback as standard, and therefore all TV signals and R2 DVD's are locked to display at that native format. Regionless BluRays run at 24hz and mutiples thereof (48hz, 72hz etc), which few TV's here fully support. What happens is, during playback, the PS3 BluRay player has to repeat one frame every cycle, as the TV needs that extra frame to display correctly. Which makes the picture noticeably 'judder' during pan shots.

It's the fault of the PS3. There's no reaon why it shouldn't be able to display 24hz correctly.

I believe you are referring to PAL. It's a hardware limitation, so firmware wouldn't help. There is a PS3 PAL version and a NTSC version.
Since you have NTSC PS3 and a PAL TV it will not work properly. A PAL PS3 can play your region 2 DVD's and Blu's as well as region free blu's. Sony is a major movie production company, so they are part of the group that came up with the whole region coding system. you need to get a PAL blu ray player for cheap.

Keyes

Keyes

Actually the PS3 CAN output in 24Hz mode, and has done (via update) for a while!

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/movies/detail/linked224928/item68550/Adjust-BD-1080p-24Hz-Output-%28HDMI%29-settings/

I've seen a Blu-ray played from the PS3 on a 42" Plasma HDTV (with 24Hz enabled on both equipment) and it was stunning.

While it is annoying making sure all your new equipment is 24hz compatible, once you have it all together it's fantastic.

Cellien

Cellien

I believe his problem was that he was trying to watch movies in 24p on his non-compliant TV which causes judder.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I honestly don't notice this problem with Blu-Ray. I have an HD tv and a Blu-Ray player, and my films look amazing in there.

SM

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 16, 2010, 01:52:01 PM
I can't say I have a problem with it. I'm only wondering why I never brought a player earlier. I'm extremely impressed.

Ditto.

Although I held off earlier until I practically every player also had normal upscaled DVD playback and the prices started to drop.  Alien, Aliens, 2001 all look awesome (though the backdrop for the Dawn of Man stuff is now too clear, in that you can see the grubby projection screen).  Even watching Star Wars or LOTR on upsclaed DVD look freaking sweet.  Same with a bunch of Miyazaki DVDs I've watched recently.  60" plasma HD - the only way to go!  ;D

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Mmhm. Mullets have never looked so lush.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Quote from: Cellien on Dec 16, 2010, 06:55:52 PM
I believe his problem was that he was trying to watch movies in 24p on his non-compliant TV which causes judder.

In a nutshell, this. I need a new TV as I'm going 3D in March/April anyway. I can wait  :D

Cellien

Cellien

Quote from: SM on Dec 16, 2010, 10:51:08 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 16, 2010, 01:52:01 PM
I can't say I have a problem with it. I'm only wondering why I never brought a player earlier. I'm extremely impressed.

Ditto.

Although I held off earlier until I practically every player also had normal upscaled DVD playback and the prices started to drop.  Alien, Aliens, 2001 all look awesome (though the backdrop for the Dawn of Man stuff is now too clear, in that you can see the grubby projection screen).  Even watching Star Wars or LOTR on upsclaed DVD look freaking sweet.  Same with a bunch of Miyazaki DVDs I've watched recently.  60" plasma HD - the only way to go!  ;D

There's one Blu-Ray so far I've encountered that is absolutely dreadful.  28 Days Later is such a bad picture due to the type of cameras used to film it makes it better off watching the DVD.  The jump to Blu-Ray just makes it more obvious how much digital artifacting there is.  Awesome movie, terrible picture (which I know was somewhat intended).

edit: typo

predxeno

predxeno

Just got the limited edition today.  I can't wait until Christmas to open and watch it, so I'll see it now. ;D  One thing though, when I took the Egg out, apparently the 4 padded surfaces on the bottom weren't glued on well and one of them stuck to the bottom of the box.  I've been thinking about taking it out and gluing it back on, but it's stuck real tight.  Do these pads make any real difference in protecting the statue?  If not, I might leave it there.  What's the best way to fix this problem anyway?  I know I planned on simply taking it out and gluing it back, but is there a better way to fix this problem?  Is contacting foxconnect.com about this overdoing it, I mean, this does seem kinda small, but I don't want to risk this small thing leading into a bigger thing like having the entire statue somehow break.

EDIT: My bluray player doesn't seem to be able to play the discs.  I remember how the US has the discs inside a book instead of a fold-out.  My egg edition has the fold-out, does this mean it's from another region or are all limited editions like this?

Purebreedalien

Purebreedalien

You did make sure you got the correct Region discs before you brought it, right?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed