Aliens vs Predator 1990/What you liked about it

Started by avp85comiccollector, Feb 19, 2009, 04:43:36 AM

Author
Aliens vs Predator 1990/What you liked about it (Read 2,456 times)

avp85comiccollector

I know there has been an amazing increase of AVP fans since the games and movies came out. But what about where it all started? That incredible first series when they were still just getting used to adding color to the pages and you couldn't wait to see that first battle between Alien and Predator. What did you like about the first series? Anything...art, storyline, characters, etc.

Xenomrph

It had Aliens and Predators in it. I liked that a lot. :)

The Necronoir

It's impossible not to appreciate it, simply for what it augured in, if nothings else. That said, the predators didn't act very much like their movie counterparts at all. Most of their trademark technology and weapons weren't utilised at all.

I liked the introduction of Chigusa Corp., though. I'm always interested in these EU W-Y rivals (although less so the Grant Corp.).

Xenomrph

Read the novel 'Aliens: No Exit', it's got several rivals of W-Y. Likewise, the old-school Leading Edge "Aliens RPG" sourcebook has a bunch, too.

Kimarhi

The ron cobb inspired designs.

Nightmare Asylum

I read the novel for Prey twice, and loved it!

happypred

I liked the action and that aliens and predators were fighting

the two franchises seemed made for each other

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

I enjoyed reading them.  I remember back in he day there was much talk about them at my school so i got one and collected them all ( i still have them  ;D)  I still read them on the odd occasion.  I also Enjoyed Alien vs Predator: War, like the way they tied it in with Aliens: Berserker.  They are classics.

Quotethe two franchises seemed made for each other

In comics yes...in films not really....people will disagree with me there...

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Mar 03, 2009, 10:58:51 AM
I enjoyed reading them.  I remember back in he day there was much talk about them at my school so i got one and collected them all ( i still have them  ;D)  I still read them on the odd occasion.  I also Enjoyed Alien vs Predator: War, like the way they tied it in with Aliens: Berserker.  They are classics.

No one will disagree with you.

DoomRulz

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Mar 03, 2009, 10:58:51 AM

That's been debated all the way to hell. It works, period. The movies just sucked is all. Doesn't mean a film won't work.

Xenomorphine

I liked the vast majority of it, personally. Originally, I was wowed by the art, back then, but when I eventually got the whole thing, thought that the story was crafted very well, too. Especially with the quarantined livestock/penalties issue, which allowed the Aliens to get in there, in the first palce; it felt real and precisely the sort of thing which would fit in a film version of it.

I didn't understand why the Predators deliberately eschewed their usual guns for hand-held projectile weapons, though. That part never made sense. We even see the usual one lock onto the heroine's speeding vehicle, at one point, but nothing happens with that.

The initial scene-setting confrontation, on the jungle world, was a particularly intriguing way to inform the reader as to what was going on, without any actual dialogue present.

The pacing of the story, too, was good, as well as the manner in which the Aliens and Predators are actually defeated.

The sense of atmosphere and characters within it, were one of the few comics where I can remember genuinely feeling it's as good as a film, considering the format. It has some problems, of course and is probably responsible for the unrealistic Alien/Predator kill ratio in following comic stories, but taken as a whole, it's definitely one of the best.

avp85comiccollector

Replying to Xenomorphine's confusion, the reason the Predators didnt use their cannons and guns more often than their "hand held" weapons is simply because they werent allowed to. In this first series, if you remember, the whole purpose of the Predators' preasance on Ryushi was "manhood". All the Predators were "teenagers" except for the older guide among them. Broken Tusk, as Machiko called him, was injured in the explosion of their ship in issue #1. Thats when the other Predators started killing outside the rules, if you will. Killing the unarmed, as well as children. For the most part, though, they remained obedient to the rules of killing their first Alien (which makes them an adult) in one on one combat before they are allowed using their guns on the rest if they choose. Enough of that, I'm ramblin'. Let me know about any other confusions.

walterf

I love alot about it. Just seeing Preds and Aliens clash was cool.

I also liked the main characters, Machiko was cool and the storyline was cool. The pacing, atmosphere was all pretty good and the idea of bringing the Aliens to the planet for hunt was cool. The comic was pretty cinematic, it felt movie-like and I appreciate that.

That being said, there's a few things that did bother me. I didn't really like the overall look of the Preds, the full-torso armor and I also didn't like the Pred/human team up at the end and never really felt it made too much sense. Otherwise, it's great and obviously started up a whole lot!!!!

SM

QuoteThe ron cobb inspired designs.

Hell-Scorpion

I throughly enjoyed it. They should've used Peter Briggs script based off this, I mean Machiko had more Ripley meets Dutch badass feel to her, while Lex seemed like a cilche. It was awesome to Predators and Aliens duking it out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed