Time to Strictly Reinforce the Spelling and Grammar Rule

Started by The Ultimate Predator, Sep 04, 2008, 03:06:29 PM

Author
Time to Strictly Reinforce the Spelling and Grammar Rule (Read 4,115 times)

The Ultimate Predator

The Ultimate Predator

After reading posts from people like KARHAN and the like, I really think this should be enforced. It may sound harsh, but I think with the amount of members here and the continuing amount that join up (daily), any user that has a long, consistent amount of posts which are have very poor spelling and/or grammer should be be banned, and that's that.

Eidotemit

Yeah, I usually send out maybe two or even three messages to people warning them about this daily. I'm getting a little tired of it. I figure one warning, then a repeat offense is a ban.

The Ultimate Predator

I don't even think the staff should have to bother with a warning. Its quite clearly one of the rules, and it says that disobeying it can lead to a ban:

QuoteSpelling and Grammar. Please be careful with your spelling and grammar. This is absolutely essential. Typing in capital letters and posting incoherently is grounds for being banned.

Just make it instant in my opinion. Its very annoying when a forum like this which is full of intellectual, smart people and coherent posts is overthrown by hundreds (if not thousands) of illiterate users.

Harsh though it maybe, this forum isn't small in size where such users can be tolerated (in case people think I am looking down upon the smaller forums that do so, my own Access Space forum is a good example where illiterate users are tolerated). As I said, an instant ban wherever a staff member see's any user that has a long, consistent amount of posts which are have very poor spelling and/or grammar seems in these circumstances fair.

Master Chief

Are you spelling grammar wrong on purpose?

I agree with the one warning rule.  There are far too many people on here to keep sending warnings to.

Darkness

Darkness

I completely agree and this is what I started doing a few months ago. As harsh as it seems, I ban people outright for this. I simply don't want people here who are either too young to spell, or too lazy. It's probably the most irritating thing I've ever ran into while running this website. It's not just me who feels like this either.

And I did add the spell check a month or so ago to help the problem.

Purebreedalien

I agree with everyone else. It gets really annoying when I am reading through topics and then the newer members or members with bad grammar and/or spelling are posting and they are talking lyk dis and half the time when they post like that it is really hard to understand.
I don't know if you can do it on this website but on my small forum hosted by Proboards you can make announcements and then whenever you are on any board the announcements appear and I have the rules as an announcement.
I know that when I first joined I posted a few times before I even realised that the rules were there. Maybe if you can make announcements here the rules should be put as one so wherever the new member goes first they will see the rules above all the other topics.
Just an idea. :)

Eidotemit

Quote from: Darkness on Sep 04, 2008, 05:30:36 PM
I completely agree and this is what I started doing a few months ago. As harsh as it seems, I ban people outright for this. I simply don't want people here who are either too young to spell, or too lazy. It's probably the most irritating thing I've ever ran into while running this website. It's not just me who feels like this either.

So no more warnings about it?

I can live with that  8)

Should exceptionally bad posts just be outright deleted as well (if there are no direct responses to it)?

Master Chief

I think you should've deleted that "F'America" post in the "Do you like America thread".  Comments like that shouldn't be tolerated.

Eidotemit

Wow, I completely overlooked that post. This is why more people need to use the "report to moderator" feature.

Master Chief

I guess.  There were a couple of moderators patrolling that thread.  I figured they would've cracked the whip.

Byohzrd

Byohzrd

I agree with you the members who are the type of ppl who tipe lyk dis are really annoying, I'm a teenager myself and I do use that kind of language on an instant messager but not on forums like this. I mean I will admit that I am guilty of using poor grammar sometimes. and I frequently misuse punctuation as well as i never use capital letters, but I do try to correct myself when I notice I'm doing it. sorry guys

The Ultimate Predator

Quote from: Master Chief on Sep 04, 2008, 04:08:06 PM

I agree with the one warning rule.  There are far too many people on here to keep sending warnings to.

Nope, only just realised I had done that, lol (though to be fair, I did say consistent spelling and grammar mistakes)  :D

Quote from: Darkness on Sep 04, 2008, 05:30:36 PM

I am glad you agree. Outright bans is completely understandable.

Master Chief

Quote from: The Ultimate Predator on Sep 04, 2008, 09:11:45 PM
Quote from: Master Chief on Sep 04, 2008, 04:08:06 PM

Nope, only just realised I had done that, lol (though to be fair, I did say consistent spelling and grammar mistakes)  :D

haha...yes you did.  My guess was you were just frustrated.

Private Hudson

I remember someone joined awhile back who had bad grammar and spelling, you couldn't understand a thing that he said.

Kriszilla

I'm behind you guys on this, it makes sense, unlike the people who this 'ban' will crack down upon.

There are still people who make an argument that nobody else can understand because they properly not do words string together.

I think we need more people with the I support good grammar thing int ehir sigs. Normally I don't tattle on people, as it were, but can somebody please delete the animation in Pred Queen's sig, I'm sorry, but encouraging people to actually break one of the rules of the site? How come nobody noticed?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed