Film Reviews - AvPGalaxy's Own Critics!

Started by Secret Hero, Mar 07, 2008, 07:25:42 PM

Author
Film Reviews - AvPGalaxy's Own Critics! (Read 277,477 times)

First Blood

:D

I love how they quote Under Siege at the end.

MrBrokenTusks.

Ok I was gunna do this in the last movie you watched thread but I wrote to much.

I know it may look like a lot but please read it. I worked hard on it and I know I may seem abit to praisey but like I have said before I am easily pleased, and this is a good movie anyway so I am super pleased with this and hope for a sequel.

VisualFX - They are perfect, the prawns look realistic enough to not take you out of the experience though it is not up to avatar level though there is no need for them to be, the only thing on the cgi or prawn front that I think could be improved was the occasional blurriness of the prawn they were occasionally out of focus at the beggining but that was done on purpose I would of just chosen not to do that.

On the non alien visuals everything was perfect the weapons (which were amazing never seen gun fights to be so fun to watch.) were all so unique and explosions and all that were also perfect especially some shots were the camera got dirt on it or cracked or the more common blood splatter just added to the epicness and the attention to detail, and there is more but if I write to much no one will read it so I will leave it at that

99% That may sound a bit fanboyish but really there is nothing wrong about them they are very belivable and I think this is now what I expect for a movie.

Storyline -The storyline to this film is so unique and different, that it is one of the only films that has made me think wow what a great story it has, I love the mockumentary beggining and ending it is blended perfectly it just gave you enough clues to keep you interested and not to many to ruin it the writer should be awarded and the director as well esspecialy considering it was his first big feature film and also since there is no acting section I might has well put it here, when you think about it there were no big actors in this yet the acting for some of the characters is oscar worthy. Anyway back to storyline, The only problem I had with it was the hospital scene I felt a bit quesy though I know it was needed for the story to move forward, and yer I think that's all about the storyline, apart from I liked the fact that there was not a proper villain apart from the company reminded me of aliens though you could call that mnu marine guy the antagonist though I felt that the situation didn't really have him as the enemy just a pawn I see the enemy more as the people behind the scenes. I like films like that though it is more realistic since in many situations there isn't a obvious bad guy.

95% Again this is one of the most unique, intriguing, smart film stories I have seen in ages it still remains fun though.

SoundFX -Again nothing to complain about, though unlike  the other categories nothing to praise either they were really good for what they were but again it didn't really stan out for me like the departeds. Though I think it is better than alot of films just nothing special. Not much else to say except the gun sounds and explosions and stuff was top notch.

80% Considering I said it was average you might think it is a bit to high but I still think it is better than most average movies just it didn't really stand out much.

Violent Factor -It was very violent don't get me wrong but that is not why I love this movie. I prefer more from my films than just violence. While it is true I like quite a lot of films that have lots of violence. So it didn't come as a shock to me how violent it was I was expecting it, the violence in this also wasn't the films main point it went a lot deeper for example all the alien guns created such violent deaths but at the time I didn't notice because I was so caught up in the story so I think it had the perfect balance, I also touched on this in one of the other sections, but I loved all the camera effects like the cracked lens, and the blood and brains that landed on the lens it was just the icing on the cake.

90% Really nothing more to say this movie is just amazing.

Overall -100% I know you guys will think I am a bit nooby for rating it so high but this is one of my favourite movies of all time if not my favourite. This is one of the only scifis that I can take seriously (predator and alien are also in the scifis I can take seriously list ;)) I think the story was so unique and interesting, and the action was brilliantly directed. That it would be a sin not to see it at least once, and I want to see a sequel hopefully curing wikus because he is one of the only characters ever that I have felt real empathy for and felt so sorry for him.

Hopefully at least one member reads it and then watches the movie if you haven't already hope you like my review.

TJ Doc

Good review. And you're right, It's an excellent film. I guess my only problem with it would be the occasional plot hole but the film's far too enjoyable to get bothered by them for long. 

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

What plot hole?

TJ Doc

For instance: Christopher spends twenty-something years trying to fill that little canister to just the right amount... and then Wikus ends up spraying loads of it into his face.

And yet this doesn't seem to bother Chris. You could probably come up with your own explanation for this, but it's still a strange little plot hole.

MrBrokenTusks.

Quote from: TJ Doc on Aug 07, 2010, 07:10:19 PM
Good review. And you're right, It's an excellent film. I guess my only problem with it would be the occasional plot hole but the film's far too enjoyable to get bothered by them for long.
Thanks and I didn't notice them untill you mentioned it I was to caught up in the story.

Space Sweeper

Inception

Now look, I can go on talking about this movie for ever, but I won't, I'll keep it brief.

Along with District 9 of last year, this movie has given new life to the sci-fi genre, and reached new heights of creativity. Christopher Nolan never disappoints and seems to improve with each movie. The acting, the cinematography, the special effects, the mind-bending action scenes, and the overall layout of the story- EVERYTHING.. makes me love this movie to death.

10/10- A modern masterpeice

Spoiler
Two Things:

• The scene where Arthur is fighting the sub-concious security gaurd in the hallway with the shifting gravity blew my mind- it was the coolest fight I have ever seen in film.
  • It totally stopped spinning  ;D
[close]

Shasvre

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Aug 14, 2010, 03:24:09 AM
Spoiler
  • It totally stopped spinning  ;D
[close]

Hear, hear! ;D

RazorSlash

=Scott Pilgrim vs The World=
======Movie Review======

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World, based on the now infamous comic series by Bryan Lee O'Malley.
But does it please the fans, or fail miserably in the process?

So, whats it about?

First off, the movie gives an awesome looking 8-Bit "Universal" logo, while playing a chiptune
version of the music. I thought that was a nice touch. Anyway, the film opens up saying
that Scott Pilgrim, obviously the antagonist, is 23, but dating a high-schooler named
Knives Chau. Saying more may spoil the movie, so I'll let you see that for yourself. Anyway,
he meets Ramona Flowers, who is played off as the girl of his dreams. But, as you know, to
be with her, he must face her "7 evil exes". Matthew Patel, Lucas Lee, Todd Ingram, Roxanne Richter,
The Katayanagi Twins, and Gideon Graves. And I'll let your see the film for yourself there,
since the rest is mainly fight scenes and talks with Ramona.

So, how does the film hold up?

It kept me entertained, but it started to get a little slow around the time Scott beats Lucas Lee.
It starts to become easy to tell who is one of the exes, ruining the suprise. But, the visuals in this
film can be amazing, especially during the fight with the Katayanagi Twins. Like the book, the
film doesn't take itself seriously, let alone treat itself like a movie. Because of the way
everything plays out and all of the visuals, as I'm sure you've seen in the ads, it feels that
you're watching a playthrough on a video game rather than a movie at some points. Which can be
good or bad, depending on your taste. But like I said, the slow parts can really make the flim
drag.

So, is it any good?

I personally give the film a solid 3 and a half out of 5. It will keep you entertained, yes.
But the slow parts can really make the film drag. Plus, the ending is a bit dissapointing. But,
in the end, you'll enjoy it.

DrGediman

QuoteOverall -100%

Quote10/10- A modern masterpeice

Good god.  District 9 was an ok movie but I wouldn't give 100%.  Inception was a pretentious movie with some of the lamest action scenes I've seen in awhile. 

SpaceMarines

You must have very, very high standards. How can you call a zero-gee fight scene lame? Or one where the gravity is literally shifting from wall-to-wall as two people beat the shit out of each other?

DrGediman

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Sep 21, 2010, 01:14:24 AM
You must have very, very high standards. How can you call a zero-gee fight scene lame? Or one where the gravity is literally shifting from wall-to-wall as two people beat the shit out of each other?

Because I didn't give a shit about those characters.

The fight between Neo and Smith in The Matrix is what you would call a real epic zero-g fight.

Space Sweeper

The Town

This faces obvious comparisons to movies like Heat and The Departed, when really it shouldn't. The Town is it's own movie, and it's a movie full of great thrills, fantastic acting, and even a few good laughs. Performances are strong across the board and Pete Postlewaite is just creepy and menacing as hell.

At times, the movie is bogged down by a sometimes to all-too-present love story, but quickly makes up for any lost time with fantastic and truly intense action sequences complemented by some awesome cinematography. The dirty mean streets of Boston look amazing, and the accents are dead-on.

Another thing that really hit me was the audio. It seems it got the war movie treatment with no fabricated weapon sounds and the actual live-round noises being kept un-edited. Me like. From the screech of car tires, to the blaring sirens on police cruisers, to the thunderous roar of an automatic weapon, this movie is pretty much an orgasm in your ears. Okay, that's kind of f*cked up.

Great movie, and I highly reccommend seeing it in theaters.

9/10

DrGediman

I'm going to do 10 short reviews:

Avatar (2009) - The special effects of Avatar are not so special since the failed to "wow" me and the paper-thin plot and boring characters failed to interest me.  Overall, a horribly lame effort for the most expensive movie ever.  1/10

Nikita (1990) - I think, the first ever movie with a sexy female action lead (sorry, I don't consider Ripley that sexy) plus stylish, gritty and very intelligent thriller that also balances drama and character.  Brilliant acting and direction all round.  10/10

Predators (2010) - this movie is a lame rehash of Predator.  Bad pacing and a horrible script that not even an oscar winning actor can save.  Makes Predator 2 look like a masterpiece.  3/10

Inception (2010) - for a movie about dreams, this is incredibly boring.  The action scenes are repetitive and uninteresting.  The plot is a convoluted mess and I didn't give a shit about any of the characters.  4/10

Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) - this is one of my favourite films of all time.  It has a unique atmosphere and such a haunting quality that it is unforgettable.  10/10

Demolition Man (1993) - back when action movies were more original.  The action is awesome, but it's the clever script that really makes this great.  8/10

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) - this is the worst piece of shit remake I have ever seen in my life.  0/10

The Vanishing (1988) - this is how you construct a plot, focusing on the motivations of the characters, centering around a mystery that leads up to a chilling and haunting conclusion.  10/10

City of the Living Dead (1980) - more based around atmosphere than plot, this is an extremely gory movie that has such a great style of horror, it surpasses the bad acting and somewhat shaky dialogue.  A true masterpiece of gothic horror.  9/10

The Man Who Laughs (1928) - best acting I have ever seen in a silent film, the story is a classic and the imagery extremely memorable.  10/10

SiL

Quote from: DrGediman on Sep 26, 2010, 11:01:46 AM
Overall, a horribly lame effort for the most expensive movie ever.  1/10
Would if it was. Pirates of the Caribbean 3 holds that honour.

QuoteA Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) - this is the worst piece of shit remake I have ever seen in my life.  0/10
Not seen Zombie's Halloween?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed