Film Reviews - AvPGalaxy's Own Critics!

Started by Secret Hero, Mar 07, 2008, 07:25:42 PM

Author
Film Reviews - AvPGalaxy's Own Critics! (Read 277,474 times)

Huntsman

Atomic Blonde

I'm a big fan of Charlize Theron. Yes, she's really hot but I also think she's also believable as a badass spy. I liked how her character was drinking and smoking non stop like Ian Fleming's James Bond of the novels, and shooting dudes in the head without a care in the world. I liked how she was bisexual too, with the film not making a big deal about it either. All in all, I thought she was awesome and just as fun and interesting to watch as male counterparts.

This movie looks and sounds great. The 80s soundtrack is ever present, which obviously is really catchy to listen to, but also instantly transports you to the era. The action is solid, with the standout sequence involving Charlize's character taking down about eight goons in hand to hand combat. It's about seven minutes or so in length and I really loved it. They don't hold back with the violence. The car sequences were also rather good.

It's not a perfect film, of course. The plot is bare bones and yet somewhat confusing at times. But for me the strengths outweigh any weaknesses. This really was a female version of James Bond and for that I had a good time. I would gladly watch another one of these movies if the same template was followed.

4/5

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Huntsman on Aug 08, 2017, 08:28:23 AM

Eugh, I hate CGI blood.

Still, glad to hear the film's enjoyable, I really want to see it.

Russ840

Im with you on this. It never looks right.

Huntsman

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 08, 2017, 09:03:40 AM
Still, glad to hear the film's enjoyable, I really want to see it.
The Rotten Tomatoes scores are pretty accurate, I think. It's a decent movie worth seeing if you like the genre.

Space_Dementia

Space_Dementia

Here's my review of Kingsman: The Golden Circle. (Mild spoilers)

Space_Dementia

Here's my review of The Snowman...

Alien³

HuDaFuK

I caught that film on TV recently, and surprisingly it was even more dumb than I remembered :laugh:

Space_Dementia

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 19, 2017, 02:37:49 PM
I caught that film on TV recently, and surprisingly it was even more dumb than I remembered :laugh:

Same here  :D

Here is my review of 1941's The Wolfman.

smcnj

I just watched my Spider-Man Homecoming Steelbook from Best Buy https://www.bestbuy.com/site/spider-man-homecoming-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray-steelbook-only--best-buy-2017/5916905.p?skuId=5916905. I still enjoyed it upon second viewing. 7.5/10

Space_Dementia

Still making my way through Universal Monsters box set, the latest being 1932's The Mummy. Any of guys seen it? What you think? For me this has been the weakest so far out of the box set and I got two more left to watch and review, those being Dracula and The Invisible Man.

Space_Dementia

And here's my review of 1931's Dracula!

SM

SM

Passengers - Great idea, visually nice but ultimately an ode to Stockholm Syndrome.  Jim punishment for condemning another person to die with him on the ship - is to shag Aurora for the rest of his days.  Very shitty outcome.  Would've been better if he struck a deal with her that they would each spend a year asleep in the medpod, so would only age 40 years each by the time they reached the planet - then he reneges and lets her sleep the whole way.

Or if they wanted the happy ending - with Fishburne's access bracelet he manages to access restricted files and - being an mechanical engineer - manages to fix Aurora's pod.  But it takes him 10 years.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Nov 06, 2017, 10:36:59 PM
Jim punishment for condemning another person to die with him on the ship - is to shag Aurora for the rest of his days.  Very shitty outcome.  Would've been better if he struck a deal with her that they would each spend a year asleep in the medpod, so would only age 40 years each by the time they reached the planet - then he reneges and lets her sleep the whole way.

She goes back into cryo, doesn't she? I thought he died alone on the ship after all that? Or do I need to rewatch it. lol

Personally, I'd been hoping that Jim would die and then Aurora struggles with the same decision herself. That said I really liked seeing Aurora just beat the shit out of Jim. Just felt so right.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed