toho's unmade Godzilla films

Started by Wolfpred, Feb 29, 2008, 11:12:14 PM

Author
toho's unmade Godzilla films (Read 15,764 times)

Wolfpred

Wolfpred

.unmade Godzilla films.

Frankenstien vs Godzilla 1960's
(remember that toho made Frankenstien vs Baragon/Frankenstien Conquers the World)
What Happened:
At this point, Toho had tried for several years to make a film with the Frankenstein monster. After the failed idea of "Frankenstein vs. The Human Vapor", Toho went to another screenwriter who came up with a very good script. The script for this film came from Takeshi Kimura, who pondered the matchup and actually produced a 100% finished script for the film. However, the screenplay was rejected as a vehicle for Godzilla, but Toho thought it had potential and used major portions of it to create "Frankenstein Conquers the World".

Godzilla vs Hehorah 2 1972
What Happened:
Director of "Godzilla vs. Hedorah", Yoshimitsu Banno, was so happy with the Hedorah creation that he started writing a sequel even before "Godzilla vs. Hedorah" had been released to Japanese audiences! The project didn't get very far, however, for when Tomoyuki Tanaka, who had been in the hospital during the film's creation, returned, he was very unhappy with "Godzilla vs. Hedorah", even declaring that Banno that had ruined Godzilla! So although "Godzilla vs. Hedorah" was still released, Director Banno never came near a Godzilla movie again and "Godzilla vs. Hedorah II" was immediately scrapped. Banno wasn't even allowed to direct Toho films anymore and was reduced to an assistant director. Tanaka then ordered an immediate start on the next film, which would feature the return of King Ghidorah and Anguirus so that they could get back to the more traditional Godzilla films. Mr. Banno had also begun developing another film script for Godzilla even before he came up with the idea for "Godzilla vs. Hedorah II". It was going to feature yet another anti-pollution theme, in which Godzilla would battle a giant, pollution-mutated starfish, but he let it go in favor of a sequal to "Godzilla vs. Hedorah".

Godzilla vs the Space Monsters 1972 ("Godzilla vs Gigan version one")
After both the filming of "Godzilla vs. Hedorah" and the scrapping of the "Godzilla vs. Hedorah II" project, producer Tomoyuki Tanaka began exploring new concepts for the next Godzilla film. The first idea was "King Ghidorah's Counterattack", which would have featured Godzilla, Rodan, and Varan battling King Ghidorah, Gigan, and the new kaiju called Mogu. This idea was thrown out and replaced with "Godzilla vs. the Space Monsters: Earth Defense Directive". This film featured Godzilla and Anguirus battling King Ghidorah, Gigan, and Megalon alongside a new kaiju named Majin Tuol (based on DaiMajin from Daiei Studios). However, this idea was dropped as well and reworked to create 1972's "Godzilla vs. Gigan".

Godzilla vs the Devil 1976-1979 LOL
What Happened:
This film would have been a joint project between both the United States and Japan, with the production companies of Toho and UPA Productions in charge of it. The budget for the film was set at four million dollars and the script was soon to be written by American Reuben Bercovitch. In the movie, Godzilla would face many monsters with the climax being Godzilla fighting the Devil himself. However, despite an announced release date for 1978, this film was never made.

The Return of Godzilla version one/Godzilla 1985 version one/Godzilla vs Bagan 1984
What Happened:
In 1980, Godzilla series producer Tomoyuki Tanaka sought to correct his mistake of allowing his anti-nuclear monster to turn into a humanized hero. Mr. Tanaka brought in screenwriter Akira Murao to come up with a new story for the next Godzilla film, which would also help celebrate Toho Studio's 50th Anniversary. Murao came up with a 47-page treatment called "The Return of Godzilla". However, this first version was curiously based on the premise that Godzilla himself was not sufficient to carry the story. As a result, the enemy monster Bagan was created to challenge Godzilla, a kaiju that would continue to resurface in several story proposals through the 1980s and 1990s. Godzilla was to have defeated Bagan by the end of the first act, and then become the enemy of mankind. After the monster vs. monster part of the film, the rest of the movie becomes basically a rehash of the original Godzilla film's plot. However, this idea was ultimately thrown out in favor of the more serious and anti-nuclear version of "The Return of Godzilla".

Godzilla vs King Kong 1990's
What happened:
Toho tryed to make a remake of one of the most successful Godzilla film King Kong vs Godzilla. But they could get the rights to King Kong.

Godzilla vs Ghost Godzilla 1995
What happened:
It made since that Godzilla would be killed by Godzilla, so basically the ghost of the 1954 Godzilla. The script was later changed to Godzilla vs Destroyah. Replacing the ghost Godzilla with Destroyah.

Godzilla vs the Gryhon 1994 (the original american Godzilla)
What Happened:
Tristar obtained the rights to make an American Godzilla film from Toho in 1992 and had hoped to have the film released in the summer of 1994. However, the script wasn't even written until late 1993 (Godzilla actually looked like Godzilla in this original script). This script, written by screenwriters Terry Rossio and Ted Elliot, was completed it in November 1993. However, at this point a director still hadn't been attached to the project. After trying several directors, the studio eventually settled on "Speed" director Jan DeBont in mid 1994. DeBont was a fan of Godzilla since seeing the original as a child in Holland and this gave fans hope that Godzilla was in good hands. DeBont pledged to deliver a Godzilla with all the realism of modern special effects, but to retain the personable spirit that made Godzilla so lovable over the years. DeBont came together with Rossio and Elliot to rework the script and the revised script was ready in December 1994. However, Tristar still planned on taking major creative liberties with Godzilla's mythology. The monster would have an all-new origin, would play the role of Earth's defender against an evil alien invader, and the main character of the story was a female scientist determined to slay Godzilla to avenge the death of her husband, who was killed during Godzilla's first appearance. Now with the script revised, director DeBont sent crews to create a Japanese fishing village on the Oregon coast for Godzilla's attack on the Kuril Islands. However, nothing was ever filmed thanks to Tristar's parent company, Sony, who was not happy with the cost of DeBont's Godzilla and soon the two went their separate ways. The script was rewritten once again and Tristar eventually hooked Independence Day's Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich to produce/direct the film for about half of DeBont's price, but we all know what happened with THAT now don't we?
      Stan Winston Studios made a Godzilla prototype for the film:

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

That godzilla looks way better then the one we got.

Wolfpred

Wolfpred

man i wish tristar didn't cancel Godzilla vs the Gryphon. they accually canceled it on it's first day on shoot in Hawaii....  :'( :'( :'( :'(

we'll be able to see what it would have been like b/c a guy is currently making a graphic novel of it.
http://americankaiju.kaijuphile.com/american-godzilla/ag94page2.shtml

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I hear the Godzilla vs The Gryphon movie because The Gryphon was to similar to King Ghidorah and Toho wanted a lot of money for it.

Dasani

Dasani

Quote from: Wolfpred on Feb 29, 2008, 11:12:14 PM
Stan Winston Studios made a Godzilla prototype for the film:

-As Davey Jones-

Damn you!

DEAN DEAVLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also RONALD EMERICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I hope we get a 10th Anniversary of Godzilla (1998) with some rare artwork of the orginal american Godzilla movie.

The Chibi Kiriyama

I've tried to read the script for the '94 take on Godzilla twice, and I still haven't completed my attempt. It's not terribly engaging. That said, I enjoyed reading what I did more than watching that crapfest we got. Winston's Godzilla is pretty awesome to boot.

SiL

SiL

I couldn't even get through the synopsis of Godzilla vs. The Gryphon. Not that I can get through the script of the '98 version either, but still.

Further proof Winston owns.

Wolfpred

Wolfpred

the design of the Gryphon was somewhere like this

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I saw the Gryphon before and he look cool, i hear he was going to have 3 heads after Godzilla rip his head off.

Wolfpred

Wolfpred

Quote from: Ratchetcomand on Mar 01, 2008, 04:56:06 PM
I saw the Gryphon before and he look cool, i hear he was going to have 3 heads after Godzilla rip his head off.

THAT would have been cool.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

When the American Godzilla movie  was first conceived in the 1990s James Cameron, Tim Burton, Joe Johnston, Paul Verhoeven and Jan de Bont were chosen directors for this movie before Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin came in and directed the movie

Space Disc Jockey

Space Disc Jockey

Check out this website that has every pre-production artwork (except for storyboards) from the 1994 Debont Godzilla film (including Stan Wintson's designs, more Godzilla concept drawings and the best part, Stan Winston's Gryphon designs):

http://web.mac.com/toddtennant/iWeb/AMERICAN%20GODZILLA%20%2794/TriStar%20GODZILLA%20%2794.html

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Now that what i called a ture American Godzilla,

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

That's like... awesome. A combo between the Heisei and first G-zilla.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed