With or without Hud?

Started by CELTICPRED, Feb 16, 2008, 04:18:26 AM

Author
With or without Hud? (Read 9,473 times)

CELTICPRED

CELTICPRED

If Gearbox goes about this right, they could have some points for some incredible scares.

Think about it, all you have it the light on your backpack, and BAM the power goes out.

All that you have are you and your squads lights, I think that removing a HUD could greatly increase the immersiveness in the game.

You spend less time worrying about how many bullets you have in your inventory and more time on the surroundings.

And instead of giving you a motion tracker on your HUD, you have to lift it up like Hudson has to while playing the game, a'la the flashlight in Doom.

Big potential for scares without a HUD.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Not to mention you have an ammo counter on your weapon anyways.

Stalker

Stalker

It would definitely be a much more immersive & scary game without a HUD, & the idea for using the motion tracker like the Doom 3 flashlight is great, & would definitely ramp up the tension. I just hope the alien AI will be good enough to match it, since the buzz killer in Doom 3 was that demons would usually just predictably spawn whenever you walked into a room, only occasionally was there a jump-out-of-your-seat moment where a creature would leap out from nowhere. Hopefully in Colonial Marines the aliens will actually be crafty...hiding in the shadows, ambushing you from the ceilings & floors, & attacking at the most unexpected times. It would really add a whole new level of greatness to the game.

CELTICPRED

CELTICPRED

If it's anything near GOW's AI it will be fantastic.

You never know where wretches are going to pop out.

They come through ceilings, floors, dark alleys, anything.

XenoVC

XenoVC

One thing that is definitley needed for this game is the motion tracker

Carnage95

Carnage95

Theres no need for a hud, the Marines don't wear helmets.

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Quote from: Carnage1995 on Feb 16, 2008, 12:27:57 PM
Theres no need for a hud, the Marines don't wear helmets.
Erm... yes they do. And from what we saw in Aliens they're complete with IR overlays, both the standard type and the ones which the smartgunners are shown wearing. That said, I'd like to see them go down the HUD-less path too. having to hold up your motion tracker to look at it or flip down an IR overlay manually could really ramp up the tension for those brief moments when you're vulnerable.

Vemados

Vemados

There's no hud.. someone scan the article so everyone can enjoy it and not just me  :-\

Pred-Xeno

Pred-Xeno

You already received your GameInformer issue? Mine is probably coming this week most likely tomorrow.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Vemados on Feb 17, 2008, 06:22:42 AM
There's no hud.. someone scan the article so everyone can enjoy it and not just me  :-\

Wanna transcribe the article, please?

CELTICPRED

CELTICPRED

If anything, they'll probably give you the option to remove the HUD.

CanadianHero67

CanadianHero67

It would be cool if you could look through their eyes and see parts of the helmet and maybe a mouth piece. It could make you feel like your in the game.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

I would want this with no hud, only at least looking down at my hand to see the radar, and the night vision tihng, and that's it.

Sh0dan

Sh0dan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 17, 2008, 12:45:42 PM

Wanna transcribe the article, please?

Oh please Vemados, or if you don't have time, just a bullet point list of features.

And us Europeans definitely need that scan, someone.

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

You got it already? Mine should be coming soon then.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed