Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 693,800 times)

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

I found that AvP's lighting was just fine. True, it was unrealistically bright; but it was utilised well.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 17, 2009, 11:47:53 PM

Ya...gotta love the grey, drab, monotone scheme over an acutal colourful palette that was almost completely washed out, albeit a dark one. Wait, that makes it worse. Ah well, I guess I'll just role my eyes at myself - ::)

:)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I'm still not clear on all this "GAH AVP:R WAS TEH BLACKNESS COULDNT SEE TEH ALINEZZ AND TEH PREDATURZ". I have the Blu-Ray copy and I see everything just fine. AvP was such an eyesore. Seriously, why the hell wasn't the film just shot in B&W? At least Anderson would've saved some money and maybe put more towards the damn action!

SM

SM

QuoteI'm still not clear on all this "GAH AVP:R WAS TEH BLACKNESS COULDNT SEE TEH ALINEZZ AND TEH PREDATURZ". I have the Blu-Ray copy and I see everything just fine.

Then out of all the fan and critic reviews I've read you're in the minority.

Oh and  :D you bought AvP:Poo on Blu-Ray.

;D

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 18, 2009, 12:14:16 AM
I'm still not clear on all this "GAH AVP:R WAS TEH BLACKNESS COULDNT SEE TEH ALINEZZ AND TEH PREDATURZ". I have the Blu-Ray copy and I see everything just fine. AvP was such an eyesore. Seriously, why the hell wasn't the film just shot in B&W? At least Anderson would've saved some money and maybe put more towards the damn action!

Well, I did some digging, and found this classic thread. As I'm sure you can remember, PHANTOM was posting screenies mainly of Requiem to show how dark it is. But here's a few of AvP he put up too...

Quote from: PHANTOM on Apr 30, 2008, 02:22:42 AM
I'm very pissed off at them right now. I'm tired of having to adjust my f**king TV or PC sceen just to "kind of" see it. Even when I adjust my screen you can still see areas of grey and the colors trying to break out but can't because it's being choked to death by blackness.

At this point I'd rather watch AVP for the simple fact that I can f**king see it and it looks 20x better visually!

I mean, this is how AVP looks like with out having to adjust anything and it doesn't matter what screen your watching it on, it will look just like this on ever single screen.

I would rather watch AVP instead, not because it's a better film.......but for the simple fact I can f**king see it clearly. I'm so pissed off at the Strauses for making the DVD so f**king dark I could kick them in the face for failing to take the monumental  opportunity to fix the god dam color grading, to where it's watchable and every person out there no matter what tv they have can see it clearly and enjoy it.

Aaaaaaand in the black corner...

Quote from: PHANTOM on Apr 29, 2008, 10:08:08 PM
Heres another example just so nobody thinks I'm going crazy. It's worth time and energy for the Strause Brothers to fix because the visual quality is powerfully different, you can say your watching a different movie. This is gonna make you laugh, all of the AVP-R DVD pics are snap shots of me putting the brightness higher and the gamma higher lol. All the IGN clips were taken at normal defults settings that work perfectly with every other DVD I have.

I hope the Strause Brothers are paying attention, because I would just love what they would have to say about this ::)

IGN clip

AVP-R DVD

IGN clip

AVP-R DVD

IGN clip

AVP-R DVD

IGN clip

AVP-R DVD

^ Amazing isn't it?!

There are far, far, worse examples on that thread, though. These are still good showcases of the colour palette raping.

SM

SM

QuoteSeriously, why the hell wasn't the film just shot in B&W?

Based on the above pics they should've shot AvP:Poo on B&B.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Nov 18, 2009, 12:25:01 AM
QuoteI'm still not clear on all this "GAH AVP:R WAS TEH BLACKNESS COULDNT SEE TEH ALINEZZ AND TEH PREDATURZ". I have the Blu-Ray copy and I see everything just fine.

Then out of all the fan and critic reviews I've read you're in the minority.

Oh and  :D you bought AvP:Poo on Blu-Ray.

;D

Minority, and proud of it!

PHANTOM's posts regarding the darkness are OTT. He's right, the colour grading isn't as good in the final release, but the picture is still nicer for me to look at in Requiem than it is in AvP.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 17, 2009, 11:47:53 PM
Ya...gotta love the grey, drab, monotone scheme over an acutal colourful palette, albeit a dark one ::)
Well, sure, why not?

You don't need a varied colour palette to have beautiful imagery, or be more visually "rich".

I'd say Casablanca was more visually "rich" than AvPR, and it's in friggin' black and white. Colour don't factor much into it.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

While I take your point, I still think AvP:R is nicer to look at than AvP. Casablanca may be in black and white but everything still stands out on its own. In AvP, everything is either gray or black so subsequently, everyone and everything blends in together making for a very boring and dreary image IMO.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Personally, I think that Plan 9 From Outer Space was visually richer than AvP:Poo. Had better action, acting, and storyline too!

Puks

Puks

The problem is, DoomRulz, that it's impossible to distinguish colours in the dark. And that's what AvPR essentially is - dark.

SM

SM

And gritty.
And hardcore.
And back to the roots.

Yautja117

Yautja117

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 18, 2009, 02:11:39 PM
While I take your point, I still think AvP:R is nicer to look at than AvP. Casablanca may be in black and white but everything still stands out on its own. In AvP, everything is either gray or black so subsequently, everyone and everything blends in together making for a very boring and dreary image IMO.
As much as people hated the film, I think DoomRulz has a valid point. I never had a darkness problem in theaters or on DVD. Atleast there's color in this garbage.

Dusk

Dusk

I've also got no problem with my DVD. It looks just like the time I watched it in theaters. I watched a DVD rip once and when Wolf turned around in his chair, I was like "Where the hell is his face?". But the DVD on my TV, perfectly fine.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Puks on Nov 19, 2009, 12:16:26 AM
The problem is, DoomRulz, that it's impossible to distinguish colours in the dark. And that's what AvPR essentially is - dark.

And the thing is, Puks, is that I can distinguish colours in the film's darkness. And that's what AvP:R has that AvP doesn't - colour.

Puks

Puks

We could argue for ages. No point in it.

So you like AvPR more than AvP.. I can live with that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed