*Spoilers* AvPR Sewer Battle Youtube *Spoilers*

Started by TheUrbanPredator, Dec 20, 2007, 10:47:21 PM

Author
*Spoilers* AvPR Sewer Battle Youtube *Spoilers* (Read 51,941 times)

The Chibi Kiriyama

For the audience to believe this is a "Super Predator" (as our German friends dubbed it), it has to be better than any we've seen before. All I've seen is a Predator that displays slightly greater skill than the Predator 2 Predator, if even that, with more toys. Maybe the movie will prove me wrong. But I really don't see how you can sell that to fans of both creatures when a concept like this would probably only work if the Predator pulled a Battle of Thermopylae and took them all on at once.

Porkus Maximus

QuoteBut I really don't see how you can sell that to fans of both creatures when a concept like this would probably only work if the Predator pulled a Battle of Thermopylae and took them all on at once.

I think it's pretty clear that they're really only trying to sell the Predator to its own fanbase.  Was speaking to my friend who's a HUGE Predator fan and he described this film as a "massive fan service" because from his perspective, he was going to get to see everything he'd ever wanted from a Predator.  Specifically;  1 Predator dominating against impossible odds.  As far as he's concerned, this is EXACTLY the way an AVP movie should be made and it's EXACTLY how a Predator should be portrayed.

As you can imagine I had to restrain myself from hitting him upside the head with the nearest solid object.  See, when I talk to my other friends who are either fans of both franchises or not particularly bothered, one of the first things they ask is "Why is there only 1 Predator against so many Aliens?" then when I explain the "super Predator" concept it's met with negativity.  "Super Predator?  Sounds lame/cheesy/corny.  So a whole hive of Aliens won't be able to kill a single Predator?  I don't buy it."  Etc. Etc.  They also seem to draw the conclusion that the Predator is the star of the movie, which reinforces my belief that this movie is going to feel like Predator 3: Bug Hunt.

The concept of the "Super Predator" is really too huge a pill for me to swallow but hey, if the Strause's can suprise me and pull it off I'd have nothing but praise for them.  Unfortunately so far everything is pointing towards my worst fears, that Wolf's survival will rely on audience suspension of disbelief  more than anything else.

gases

The predator in the movie is perfect. If only the aliens were buffed up as much haha!

Even though i don't think they have been downgraded.

NikTh

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Dec 22, 2007, 01:37:55 PM
QuoteBut I really don't see how you can sell that to fans of both creatures when a concept like this would probably only work if the Predator pulled a Battle of Thermopylae and took them all on at once.

I think it's pretty clear that they're really only trying to sell the Predator to its own fanbase.  Was speaking to my friend who's a HUGE Predator fan and he described this film as a "massive fan service" because from his perspective, he was going to get to see everything he'd ever wanted from a Predator.  Specifically;  1 Predator dominating against impossible odds.  As far as he's concerned, this is EXACTLY the way an AVP movie should be made and it's EXACTLY how a Predator should be portrayed.

As you can imagine I had to restrain myself from hitting him upside the head with the nearest solid object.  See, when I talk to my other friends who are either fans of both franchises or not particularly bothered, one of the first things they ask is "Why is there only 1 Predator against so many Aliens?" then when I explain the "super Predator" concept it's met with negativity.  "Super Predator?  Sounds lame/cheesy/corny.  So a whole hive of Aliens won't be able to kill a single Predator?  I don't buy it."  Etc. Etc.  They also seem to draw the conclusion that the Predator is the star of the movie, which reinforces my belief that this movie is going to feel like Predator 3: Bug Hunt.

The concept of the "Super Predator" is really too huge a pill for me to swallow but hey, if the Strause's can suprise me and pull it off I'd have nothing but praise for them.  Unfortunately so far everything is pointing towards my worst fears, that Wolf's survival will rely on audience suspension of disbelief  more than anything else.

If Arnie can chop up an entire guerrilla squad in Commando why wouldn't a One Man Special Force  Mop Up Team (being Wolf) be capable of doing the exact same thing?

Porkus Maximus

Well the problem with that comparison is that a hive full of Aliens should be more dangerous than a bunch of guerrillas. ;)  The whole concept of a "Rambo" Predator is just a bit too cliche for my tastes.

See the Predator movies are unashamedly cheesy and over the top in places, although I think McTiernan really did put a lot of thought into the original besides "LOL SHIT IS EXPLODING!"  The problem is that element doesn't really mesh well with the Alien side of the franchise, which is SERIOUS BUSINESS in comparison.  In my opinion the Predator franchise (or more specifically, the creature itself) can function perfectly well in a movie with a more "serious" tone however the Alien creature only stands to be degraded when it's effectively filling the role of the guerrillas in a Arnold or Stallone movie.

I just don't feel that both creatures can be given fan service unless the movie is given a much bigger budget and a seasoned director who most importantly mustn't be interfered with by the studio.  Unfortunately I don't see this ever happening because of;

1.  The stigma attached to being a "VS" movie.
2. The fact that (IMO) Fox don't consider this franchise to be anything more than a cash cow ergo they're not going to risk paying out for an expensive director with a huge budget.

gases

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Dec 22, 2007, 02:27:05 PM
Well the problem with that comparison is that a hive full of Aliens should be more dangerous than a bunch of guerrillas. ;)  The whole concept of a "Rambo" Predator is just a bit too cliche for my tastes.

See the Predator movies are unashamedly cheesy and over the top in places, although I think McTiernan really did put a lot of thought into the original besides "LOL SHIT IS EXPLODING!"  The problem is that element doesn't really mesh well with the Alien side of the franchise, which is SERIOUS BUSINESS in comparison.  In my opinion the Predator franchise (or more specifically, the creature itself) can function perfectly well in a movie with a more "serious" tone however the Alien creature only stands to be degraded when it's effectively filling the role of the guerrillas in a Arnold or Stallone movie.

I just don't feel that both creatures can be given fan service unless the movie is given a much bigger budget and a seasoned director who most importantly mustn't be interfered with by the studio.  Unfortunately I don't see this ever happening because of;

1.  The stigma attached to being a "VS" movie.
2. The fact that (IMO) Fox don't consider this franchise to be anything more than a cash cow ergo they're not going to risk paying out for an expensive director with a huge budget.

It would have been better if bro's got to do it in space and there was more than one predator. A lot of problems would be fixed if this happened, which i hope happens for AVP3. Others would be fixed too... like bigger budget hopefully.

SiL

Just to derail for a second:

About the whole Vasquez killing an Alien = Wolf holding back two Aliens bit, I rewatched Aliens yesterday and decided to time how long it takes for Vasquez to kill the bugger, and how long Wolf holds back the Aliens.

Vasquez: From the Alien falling down on top of her, to her kicking its writhing body off of her after her leg's been burned, is exactly 8 seconds.

Wolf: Holds the Aliens there for 9 seconds.

"Oh big whoop!" you say, "One second difference! Get over it!"

Except in the 8 seconds Vasquez encountered the Alien, she only stopped shooting it long enough to kick its head into the roof of the vent. As soon as it was on her she was shooting it in the stomach, chest, and head; by the time she pinned its head, it had already sustained damage there. All in 8 seconds.

And what happens when Wolf grabs the Aliens? Nothing. He just stands there, and they flail like retards. Vasquez killed an Alien in the time it took for Wolf to finally track on to the damned things.

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: NikTh on Dec 22, 2007, 01:56:32 PM
If Arnie can chop up an entire guerrilla squad in Commando why wouldn't a One ManSpecial Force  Mop Up Team (being Wolf) be capable of doing the exact same thing?

You just compared it to a ridiculously over the top and unrealistic movie, thus making the comparison worthless.

SiL

Besides which, what about the, y'know, six other people who helped him take out the guerrillas?

Sheriff Eddie Morales

Quote from: Plokoon111 on Dec 20, 2007, 10:49:24 PM
Looks pretty cool, I hope theres a fighting scene without heavy music, so I can just here wold and the aliens getting it on.

If you just stop to listen the battle,only the soundtrack from it,you will see that it's Predator soundtrack. :) My favorite.

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: SiL on Dec 22, 2007, 08:34:50 PM
Besides which, what about the, y'know, six other people who helped him take out the guerrillas?

He was talking about Commando, not Predator.

SiL

Quote from: Yellow Alien on Dec 22, 2007, 08:44:13 PM
Oh.

Well, that's just cos John Matrix is the f**kin' bomb and ain't nobody gonna cut his daughter. John Matrix - Manliest name in cinematic history.

KARHAN

Quote from: SiL on Dec 22, 2007, 08:46:35 PM
Quote from: Yellow Alien on Dec 22, 2007, 08:44:13 PM
Oh.

Well, that's just cos John Matrix is the f**kin' bomb and ain't nobody gonna cut his daughter. John Matrix - Manliest name in cinematic history.

no it isnt. Max Power/Solid Snake/John Rambo/Conan :P

The Chibi Kiriyama

Solid Snake hasn't come to the screen yet. They had better make him a character that ranks with Matrix and Rambo when he does. >:(

KARHAN

Quote from: The Chibi Kiriyama on Dec 22, 2007, 08:57:10 PM
Solid Snake hasn't come to the screen yet. They had better make him a character that ranks with Matrix and Rambo when he does. >:(

yeah i hope Hugh Jackman (wolverine) playes him that would be f*cking awsome 8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed