Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, May 14, 2020, 11:34:10 PM

Author
Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024) (Read 33,609 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: George Miller via Collider"Mainly because to tell the story of Fury Road , which happens over a very compressed amount of time, you could argue that the first act of Fury Road and the last act are almost playing in real time over three days in order to tell that story on the run. Picking up all the backstory, all the exposition on the way, everybody working on the film — not only the cars, but all the designers, all the prop makers, everybody — had to understand the backstory very intimately in order for it to be coherent.

So, we had to write the story of Furiosa and the 18 years, as it turns out, before we meet her in Fury Road . We also had to write the story of the year of Max in the year before we encounter him in Fury Road . So, we have that story. We wrote that as a novella, Nico Lathouris and I, and so that's the story we have yet to tell."

https://x.com/Collider/status/1793371934631362889

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Happy Furiosa release day to all who celebrate. 8)

https://x.com/tcm/status/1793665804149432736

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Just saw the movie.

Never, ever take it for granted, getting to spend another two and a half hours in George Miller's wonderful mind like this.

In so many ways, Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga is the total anthesis to the madcap structure of Mad Max: Fury Road – if anything, the film in the series that Furiosa most directly echoes is the original Mad Max. This is a long, sprawling, episodic mythological epic (with a more than healthy dose of Ozploitation DNA exuding out from its core, of course) with starts and stops and multiple points of reset and reorientation, rather than a constantly moving race to the finish line. Where Fury Road was the chase scene from Stagecoach extended to two hours to utterly brilliant effect (Fury Road is, after all, a perfect movie), Furiosa aims more for "The Odyssey" by way of Sergio Leone. The film is anchored by hauntingly tender, vulnerable central performances from Alyla Browne and Anya Taylor-Joy as Furiosa (the hand-off from one actress to the other here is incredible, and I am now dying to revisit Fury Road [Furiosa's own "Chapter 6," if you will] and see the handoff to Charlize Theron's own magnificent founding turn as the character in its new light), a career-best performance from Chris Hemsworth as the ravaging warlord Dementus, who has a presence on screen that stands in total contrast to what Taylor-Joy is doing as Furiosa, and rounded off by Tom Burke's Praetorian Jack, a character that I had no idea what to expect from but found myself completely enamored by the tenderness on display from him. All of these performances, and so many more – Pissboy is my new best friend – populate the Wasteland, which we've come to see grow and expand over the last 45 years into what it is here, with all of its feudal intricacies and warring factions and oddball personalities (Octoboss!!!) proving here that they can take on so many unique forms beyond the formula that we've come to expect in the previous Mad Max sequels, and each new chapter here is essentially a reinvention in form and style from the one that preceded it. I've seen a few people call this the the messier, more raw, personal B-side to Fury Road's A-side offerings, and I would be inclined to agree with that assessment. Furiosa wears its whole beating heart on its sleeve, exposed for the entire world but not content to just let you see it. The film demands that you poke and prod at that heart until it bleeds as you hitch yourself to this ride with Furiosa on her seemingly eternal quest for vengeance, before it can give way into the hope and redemption that will redefine her odyssey come Fury Road.

George Miller, man. What a gift he is.

SM

SM

What's it like in terms of the violence - like gore; not cars smashing?  Was thinking about taking the Third Born (11 years old) to see it. Is it more or less gory than Fury Road?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SM on May 24, 2024, 05:09:16 AMWhat's it like in terms of the violence - like gore; not cars smashing?  Was thinking about taking the Third Born (11 years old) to see it. Is it more or less gory than Fury Road?

There's some pretty brutal stuff on par with with Immortan Joe's face being ripped off at the end of Fury Road, but with more frequency here to the point where I'd say it goes a step or two beyond Fury Road in that regard. It isn't a spoiler to say that Furiosa is destined to lose her arm, after all, but there's also some other stuff going on during that scene and a during few others that push the violence/brutality pretty far, even if the camera doesn't always overtly linger on it.

General spoilers regarding the violence, without getting into the specifics of who/how:

Spoiler
Expect to see Furiosa losing her arm, limbs being torn from bodies and dragged behind vehicles, dogs pulling a person apart, something that's more or less a crucifixion...
[close]

It's a bit more stylized than Fury Road, though, which I think kind of levels it out. I guess it really depends on how they handled Fury Road/Joe's death sequence?

SiL

SiL

Spoiler
Joe's death was like six frames? It was ridiculously blink and you'll miss it. If that's the benchmark I don't see things being more than that as that bad?
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SiL on May 24, 2024, 11:05:05 AM
Spoiler
Joe's death was like six frames? It was ridiculously blink and you'll miss it. If that's the benchmark I don't see things being more than that as that bad?
[close]

Spoiler
Joe's death is definitely quick, but pretty grisly in my opinion (as is the scene afterwards where his body is shown off to the War Pups that stayed behind at the Citadel). What's seen here in Furiosa hangs around on screen a bit longer than Joe's death, but is more or less in the same taste, I'd say. Maybe a bit more effecting if only because you see it happening to people you sympathize with here.
[close]

SM

SM

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 24, 2024, 10:29:29 AM
Quote from: SM on May 24, 2024, 05:09:16 AMWhat's it like in terms of the violence - like gore; not cars smashing?  Was thinking about taking the Third Born (11 years old) to see it. Is it more or less gory than Fury Road?

There's some pretty brutal stuff on par with with Immortan Joe's face being ripped off at the end of Fury Road, but with more frequency here to the point where I'd say it goes a step or two beyond Fury Road in that regard. It isn't a spoiler to say that Furiosa is destined to lose her arm, after all, but there's also some other stuff going on during that scene and a during few others that push the violence/brutality pretty far, even if the camera doesn't always overtly linger on it.

General spoilers regarding the violence, without getting into the specifics of who/how:

Spoiler
Expect to see Furiosa losing her arm, limbs being torn from bodies and dragged behind vehicles, dogs pulling a person apart, something that's more or less a crucifixion...
[close]

It's a bit more stylized than Fury Road, though, which I think kind of levels it out. I guess it really depends on how they handled Fury Road/Joe's death sequence?

Cheers. Might go on my own instead.

El Diablo

El Diablo

I loved this movie. The action sequences were wildly inventive and the sound design was spectacular (the roar of an engine has never sounded so intimidating). Hemsworth absolutely steals the show in what is arguably the best performance of his career. He might be the best antagonist in the Mad Max franchise and there is a dialogue exchange between him and Furiosa at the end of the film that added so many more layers to him as a character. Some of the green screen work and digital effects were noticeably shoddy compared to the mostly practical vehicular carnage of the previous installments but the rest of the film works so well that I could overlook those elements in the end.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Welp. I had already booked the day off of work today, since it's a holiday weekend and... I figured why not and went to see this a second time this morning.

Yeah, I love Furiosa. It plays even better on rewatch, too.

Regarding the visual effects as mentioned in the above post: What's presented here is definitely much more stylized than what's on display in Fury Road (which had it's own fair share of digital vfx as well, but it was more tactile in its approach than Furiosa) and actually feels very much in line with Miller's previous film, Three Thousand Years of Longing, to me. I happen to be very fond of TTYOL. There's a lot of stylistic and structural overlap between that film and Furiosa that I feel like really opens a window into Miller's current headspace and the his musings about storytelling and mythology, which Furiosa absolutely picks up and runs with in its execution.

Also, during the huge Octoboss setpiece, I couldn't help but think about how this script was going to be adapted as an anime film at one point in time.

irn

irn

I loved Fury Road but had concerns about Furiosa after seeing the trailer. There was something just off about the trailer that very much lowered my expectations. Thankfully, after seeing it, there was nothing to be concerned about. What a great film. It's a different type of film to Fury Road to an extent but equally as good in its own way. It doesn't have the non-stop long action-packed chases but instead has smaller and frequent explosive set pieces. There's definitely more world building in this and I think it would be great to watch prior to a Fury Road rewatch.

El Diablo

El Diablo

I've heard that the previous films had been notoriously difficult productions so the reliance on digital effects makes sense, even for budgetary reasons. I wasn't as bothered by this as some because the film works as a whole. This movie is a dark fairy tale, a legend being recited by the History Man from its opening narration until the final scene when it ultimately merges into FURY ROAD. The look of the movie felt consistent with the tone, at least for me.

irn

irn

Quote from: El Diablo on May 24, 2024, 08:30:39 PMThe look of the movie felt consistent with the tone, at least for me.

Spoiler
I dunno if it was just me, but the cinematography style felt a bit different to Fury Road for most of the film up until around the last quarter when she pretty much becomes the Furiosa we know and it jumps to using the same kind of shots as FR. It was noticeable when she starts taking out the Dementus's bikers one by one near the end
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

It absolutely has a more heightened, stylized look to it (and its visual effects consciously play into that sensation), very much by design.

There was stuff like this shot for Fury Road too that George ended up dialing back on (a much more elaborate dream sequence when Max is asleep in the War Rig, for example, but in the final film all that remains of it is the imagery of the hands reaching around for him). He seems to have swung back around and embraced these ideas in full swing now in both TTYOL and now Furiosa.

A lot of Furiosa feels like an 80s fantasy movie to me, and it's worth noting (vague spoilers here):

Spoiler
That the narrator, Dementus' History Man, might not be quite so reliable, especially in regards to the picture he paints in the film's final moments.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed