Was The Empire Strikes Back actually a good movie?

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Apr 02, 2024, 07:34:30 PM

Was the Empire Strikes Back actually a good movie?

No, it was a bit rubbish actually
0 (0%)
No, Lucas should have directed it
3 (37.5%)
No, it is overrated
1 (12.5%)
No, it's an absolute pile of bollocks
4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author
Was The Empire Strikes Back actually a good movie? (Read 995 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Hey everyone,

I've been mulling over classic sci-fi/fantasy films and couldn't help but dwell on "The Empire Strikes Back." Some say it was the best film of the original trilogy, with its much darker vision and more mature themes. Others, however, argue it might be overhyped, while diverging from the classic Star Wars recipe with a tonal shift featuring darker material and more mature story lines that detracts from the charm, fun, and comic silliness of the original.

Other critics have pointed out that the planets in The Empire Strikes Back feel empty and lack the complexity seen in other Star Wars stories with more developed societies. Han Solo's dialogue and flirting with Princess Leia can also come across as cheesy and poorly executed at times.

I'm particularly interested in hearing from those who may have seen it around its original release and have observed its trajectory through the lens of cultural and cinematic evolution. How has your perception of the film changed over time, if at all? And for those who've only discovered it in recent years, does it hold up to the contemporary standards of space opera and storytelling?

Looking forward to a lively and insightful discussion!

Your friend,

The Eighth Passenger

Note: This thread forms part of the stupid question series that includes Was Blade Runner actually a good movie?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

People who diss TESB remind me of the kind of people who would look at a Jackson Pollock or Picasso and say their kid could have done it.  Or the kind of people who say that a fine Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon tastes like vinegar. >:(

Immortan Jonesy

I already love this place :)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Immortan Jonesy

Kradan

This entire thread

SiL

Quote from: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯 on Apr 02, 2024, 07:34:30 PMNote: This thread forms part of the stupid question series that includes Was Blade Runner actually a good movie?

https://i.giphy.com/3ornjSL2sBcPflIDiU.webp
I cringed so hard I think I strained something. If you're going to troll, commit to the bit!

Local Trouble

I thought he was going to go after Species, to be honest.

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 02, 2024, 10:26:07 PMI thought he was going to go after Species, to be honest.
Believe it or not the names are unrelated.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SiL on Apr 02, 2024, 09:23:55 PM
Quote from: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯 on Apr 02, 2024, 07:34:30 PMNote: This thread forms part of the stupid question series that includes Was Blade Runner actually a good movie?

https://i.giphy.com/3ornjSL2sBcPflIDiU.webp
I cringed so hard I think I strained something. If you're going to troll, commit to the bit!

Is this thread a sequel or midquel?

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Apr 02, 2024, 10:40:40 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 02, 2024, 10:26:07 PMI thought he was going to go after Species, to be honest.
Believe it or not the names are unrelated.

But I'm counting on that not being common knowledge. >:(

E. Shaw

Empire is a masterpiece. The AT-AT walkers, The Asteroid Belt, Cloud City and Confrontation with Vader.

GL also left a nice clue too, in the scene on Cloud City, Leia is in a room with what appears to be a DNA helix sculpture behind her, this foreshadows the reveal in ESB of Vader being Luke's Father, and in ROTJ that Leia is Luke's Sister and Daughter of Vader. ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed