Aliens Bishop

Started by felix, Apr 19, 2023, 04:56:25 AM

Author
Aliens Bishop (Read 80,148 times)

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Mar 02, 2024, 10:27:13 AMOr about two weeks if you go by this book...

Or none if you go by the RPG.

SiL

SiL

Less than none if you go by some sources.

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

What's infinity inverted?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Feb 22, 2024, 10:28:50 AM
Quote from: Neila on Feb 22, 2024, 09:40:38 AMthe first script draft of a4 was without ripley.
But the studio didn't have the balls to carry on without her.
I liked enough things in A4 but if I had had something to say the series would have continued after A3 with other characters.
As an alien fan you have to get used to the fact that many of the victims in this story are completely pointless.

Ripley probably knew at the end of A3 that WY would continue to search for these creatures in space.
But she had no choice and couldn't trust that she would be saved.

That's why we have books! Novels that absolutely make Alien 3's ending ultimately meaningless.

Alternate continuity.
Frankly I'm not that bothered by her sacrifice being rendered moot. The point is that she fought and died for what she believed in, she felt like she was making a difference even if in the broader cold, uncaring universe it didn't matter. Just like Newt says in 'Aliens': "it's not going to matter."
The sequels, at their core, are about it not mattering. In 'Alien', the Company sentences an innocent crew of truckers to their deaths and (if 'Aliens' is anything to go by) they got away with it. None of it mattered.
In 'Aliens', despite Ripley blowing the Alien out the airlock and leaving the planet behind, a colony got set up there anyway, Burke sentenced the colony to die, and even though Ripley blew the whole thing up and ejected the Queen out the airlock...
'Alien3' happens and everyone she loved dies and there are still Aliens (including one inside her!). None of 'Aliens' mattered.
And then in the fourth movie, despite her best efforts up to and including killing herself, someone *still* got more Aliens out of the whole affair. In the grand scheme of it all, none of it mattered.

What mattered were the individual sacrifices and character journeys and little (if temporary) victories. That's what matters. Ripley did it, she stood up to the Company (repeatedly) and made the ultimate sacrifice to do what was right.

Like, at the risk of getting political, would you tell an American World War II veteran who fought and sacrificed to oppose the Nazi regime that in the 2020s there would be honest to god Nazi rallies on American soil and an entire political party would be actively pushing fascist and authoritarian rhetoric daily and therefore his sacrifices didn't matter?

SM

SM

xShadowFoxX

SM

SM

And inverting that would make it definite.

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: SM on Mar 05, 2024, 07:11:23 AMAnd inverting that would make it definite.
Definitely

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 05, 2024, 04:47:27 AM
Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Feb 22, 2024, 10:28:50 AM
Quote from: Neila on Feb 22, 2024, 09:40:38 AMthe first script draft of a4 was without ripley.
But the studio didn't have the balls to carry on without her.
I liked enough things in A4 but if I had had something to say the series would have continued after A3 with other characters.
As an alien fan you have to get used to the fact that many of the victims in this story are completely pointless.

Ripley probably knew at the end of A3 that WY would continue to search for these creatures in space.
But she had no choice and couldn't trust that she would be saved.

That's why we have books! Novels that absolutely make Alien 3's ending ultimately meaningless.

Alternate continuity.
Frankly I'm not that bothered by her sacrifice being rendered moot. The point is that she fought and died for what she believed in, she felt like she was making a difference even if in the broader cold, uncaring universe it didn't matter. Just like Newt says in 'Aliens': "it's not going to matter."
The sequels, at their core, are about it not mattering. In 'Alien', the Company sentences an innocent crew of truckers to their deaths and (if 'Aliens' is anything to go by) they got away with it. None of it mattered.
In 'Aliens', despite Ripley blowing the Alien out the airlock and leaving the planet behind, a colony got set up there anyway, Burke sentenced the colony to die, and even though Ripley blew the whole thing up and ejected the Queen out the airlock...
'Alien3' happens and everyone she loved dies and there are still Aliens (including one inside her!). None of 'Aliens' mattered.
And then in the fourth movie, despite her best efforts up to and including killing herself, someone *still* got more Aliens out of the whole affair. In the grand scheme of it all, none of it mattered.

What mattered were the individual sacrifices and character journeys and little (if temporary) victories. That's what matters. Ripley did it, she stood up to the Company (repeatedly) and made the ultimate sacrifice to do what was right.

Like, at the risk of getting political, would you tell an American World War II veteran who fought and sacrificed to oppose the Nazi regime that in the 2020s there would be honest to god Nazi rallies on American soil and an entire political party would be actively pushing fascist and authoritarian rhetoric daily and therefore his sacrifices didn't matter?

You say temporary victories but then in the context of the novels and other expanded media, there are no victories because the company already has these Aliens.

I do agree tho. Like I do like my universe uncaring and amoral, but I also like it empty, because there's something more terrifying and interesting about that. And then you remind me that Resurrection is so far removed by hundreds of years that it actually works (albeit in a very weird way), that it doesn't make the sacrifice in A3 moot because of all the steps they had to take. (Again, weird).

And then we go into the books and comics that are, at this point, just fun to read in an alternate continuity sort of way because of how egregious these incidents are, either simultaneously or one after the other, that they just feel kind of disjointed from one another and the films.

Corporal Hicks

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Must be a slow year.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'd have wanted to have seen Alex White's novels or Phalanx take some awards, but I still really enjoyed Bishop and I'm glad to see the expanded universe receiving critical recognition.

bulletproof2k

bulletproof2k

It's a pretty good story, the author managed to shove it between the parts.

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: SiL on Apr 19, 2023, 01:10:26 PMWhere did you see that?

Also, why is Titan trying to turn the Alien universe into a soap opera of half a dozen closely connected families?

Name recognition equals $$$. I fear this trend is only going to spread. It was why initially I was not interested in Alien: Isolation. I suppose we have no choice but to accept it.. *looks for some black goo.*

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed