Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 20, 2023, 06:30:14 PM

Author
Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread (Read 166,305 times)

[cancerblack]

Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Jan 28, 2024, 04:41:03 PMthe more family/character centered approach to Avatar 2: The Way of Water

Only works if the film can get you to care at all about those characters. Didn't manage it with me.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I am fully aware of Alien being a franchise lol

Just if you think of Way of Water as the best film in the past five years I just wonder, have you bothered with anything outside the big intellectual properties?

Like Everything Everywhere All At Once? Parasite, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, 1917, Tar, Bottoms, The Power of the Dog, Spencer, Marcel The Shell With Shoes On?

Local Trouble

I have never seen any of the movies listed in the above post.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 28, 2024, 06:58:53 PMI have never seen any of the movies listed in the above post.

You should really check out Alien though.

Immortan Jonesy

So far I've seen Everything Everywhere All At Once, Parasite and 1917. Excellent movies indeed 🙏8)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 28, 2024, 07:37:35 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 28, 2024, 06:58:53 PMI have never seen any of the movies listed in the above post.

Why bother?  I hear it doesn't have any Colonial Marines or even a queen in it.

SiL

SiL

Are people struggling to grapple with the fact we're all individuals with individual tastes again?

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 28, 2024, 08:43:04 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 28, 2024, 07:37:35 PM

Why bother?  I hear it doesn't have any Colonial Marines or even a queen in it.

Or...

Spoiler

[close]

PortugueseXeno

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 28, 2024, 06:49:01 PMI am fully aware of Alien being a franchise lol

Just if you think of Way of Water as the best film in the past five years I just wonder, have you bothered with anything outside the big intellectual properties?

Like Everything Everywhere All At Once? Parasite, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, 1917, Tar, Bottoms, The Power of the Dog, Spencer, Marcel The Shell With Shoes On?

I didn't say that Avatar was better than those movies, but i do think that when it comes to blockbuster IPs, Avatar gets criticized in way that other popular IPs don't and that in turn exposes a lot of hypocrisy and double standards (also i am not saying that you are one of those peeps).

Personally, even though i think most of those movies above are better than Avatar, i still personally prefer Avatar (maybe not in comparison to Parasite), since the whole idea and world appeals more to me than the rest of those movies.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Jan 28, 2024, 11:28:53 PMsince the whole idea and world appeals more to me than the rest of those movies.

This is where the Avatar movies fall flat for me personally. I find it extremely difficult to summon much interest for the setting or narrative and the characters don't grab me.

PortugueseXeno

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jan 28, 2024, 11:41:50 PM
Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Jan 28, 2024, 11:28:53 PMsince the whole idea and world appeals more to me than the rest of those movies.

This is where the Avatar movies fall flat for me personally. I find it extremely difficult to summon much interest for the setting or narrative and the characters don't grab me.
I mean, yeah, that is completely fine and fair, but my comments in general are in regards to how some people hold up Avatar to some higher form of art standards that they don't do to other popular franchises, siuch as MCU, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings.

To me, Avatar, the setting and the characters grabbed me.

Is the setting a little silly and the characters formulaic? Yes, but if you really think about so are most blockbuster universes, etc...

Corporal Hicks

For the longest time I was actually pretty meh on Avatar. I saw it once in the cinema, once when it came out on home release. Then my memory of it was it just just some dull Dances with Wolves knock off. Then I revisited it just before Way of the Water and just absolutely loved it. Was completely drawn into the world. I've watched it a few more times since too including a week or so ago. I think I was just trying too hard to dislike it back when it came out - edgy 20 year old and all that. I loved Way of the Water too.

I know it's easy to shit on the Dark Fate recommendation too - but it was the best Terminator film since the second. And sure, it was hypocritical of them to Alien 3 John given Cameron's very vocal dislike of that. But I have no issue with Fede bouncing off both Scott and Cameron. They did both contribute significantly to the foundation of the entire franchise. I just hope that it all was ultimately Fede's venture and final decisions.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 29, 2024, 10:59:15 AMI know it's easy to shit on the Dark Fate recommendation too - but it was the best Terminator film since the second.

Absolutely agree, although admittedly that wasn't a high bar to clear. I rewatched Dark Fate the other night and it's still pretty cool. It's the true Terminator 3 if you ask me.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

@PortugueseXeno it is @Scott Conover I was replying to with this statement:

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 28, 2024, 06:49:01 PMJust if you think of Way of Water as the best film in the past five years I just wonder, have you bothered with anything outside the big intellectual properties?

Although I will say I rate the Lord of the Rings far above the other franchises you mentioned, they are Oscar winners, eons beyond the others in craft to me.

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 29, 2024, 05:28:49 PM@PortugueseXeno it is @Scott Conover I was replying to with this statement:

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 28, 2024, 06:49:01 PMJust if you think of Way of Water as the best film in the past five years I just wonder, have you bothered with anything outside the big intellectual properties?

Although I will say I rate the Lord of the Rings far above the other franchises you mentioned, they are Oscar winners, eons beyond the others in craft to me.

Ah yes, absolutely, the Lord of the Rings is far superior to Star Wars or the MCU, but it still has its fair share of sillyness.

At least the movies do, can't say much about the books since i didn't read them.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed