Aliens Bishop

Started by felix, Apr 19, 2023, 04:56:25 AM

Author
Aliens Bishop (Read 76,791 times)

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Wweyland on Jan 16, 2024, 07:50:56 AMIs the Patna mentioned/featured?

Spoiler
Yup. Michael Bishop has abandoned it for the Xinjiang and left its reactor to overload. Of course, Apone's team don't know that when they raid it at the start.
[close]

Wweyland

Wweyland

I guess it doesn't fit at all with Aliens: Colonial Marines? But then again, why should it?

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Wweyland on Jan 16, 2024, 10:01:25 AMI guess it doesn't fit at all with Aliens: Colonial Marines? But then again, why should it?

That game is officially non-canon as far as story goes. Creatures and technology are still valid though.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Non-canon for sure, but no reason why some good ideas can't be salvages and re-used (as long as their origin makes it clear its not the same as whatever lore it had in ACM), Fireteam used crushers and spitters for example.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 16, 2024, 11:57:19 AMNon-canon for sure, but no reason why some good ideas can't be salvages and re-used (as long as their origin makes it clear its not the same as whatever lore it had in ACM), Fireteam used crushers and spitters for example.

Yup. As aforementioned, creatures and technology in ACM are canon.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Would the USS Sephora be canon though? I think it appeared in Aliens: Infestation as well.

SM

SM

Infestation I think was supposed to be a companion game to ACM, but the events are all over the shop and don't correlate with ACM.  Or the films.  But it's still a much more fun game than ACM.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Filled with characters with actual personality.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Wweyland on Jan 22, 2024, 11:26:58 PMWould the USS Sephora be canon though? I think it appeared in Aliens: Infestation as well.
I'd think the Sephora itself could exist, even if the events of ACM (or Infestation I guess) do not.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I was a little slow reading Bishop, but that's mostly because I've not been in a reading mood. I finished it yesterday and I actually really enjoyed it! Some minor nitpicks of details, but I seem to be on the outside in rather liking this one.

Wweyland

Wweyland

How did it compare to Vasquez?

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

Quote from: Wweyland on Jan 25, 2024, 10:22:49 AMHow did it compare to Vasquez?

It is much better. I would say Vasquez had more interesting and less basic idea, but it didn't work because of weak, disjointed construction, where it had first part about Vasquez, second about her children, and weak finale that wasn't well connected to the rest and every character's appear in it feel artifical and forced. Bishop Has much better construction, where its several plotlines nicely overlap each other and they all conclude in nice finale that feels much more natural and cohesive.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: jacobo1122 on Jan 25, 2024, 11:49:48 AM

It is much better. I would say Vasquez had more interesting and less basic idea, but it didn't work because of weak, disjointed construction, where it had first part about Vasquez, second about her children, and weak finale that wasn't well connected to the rest and every character's appear in it feel artifical and forced. Bishop Has much better construction, where its several plotlines nicely overlap each other and they all conclude in nice finale that feels much more natural and cohesive.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time was spent on secondary characters and superfluous plotlines; plus, the inclusion of the Xenomorphs redefines the phrase "shoehorned in".

Quite frankly, I'd have preferred it if the Xenomorph hadn't featured in the book at all. Alien: Covenant - Origins proved that an Alien novel can exist without having to have actual... Aliens in it.

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Jan 25, 2024, 11:57:14 AM
Quote from: jacobo1122 on Jan 25, 2024, 11:49:48 AM

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time was spent on secondary characters and superfluous plotlines; plus, the inclusion of the Xenomorphs redefines the phrase "shoehorned in".

Quite frankly, I'd have preferred it if the Xenomorph hadn't featured in the book at all. Alien: Covenant - Origins proved that an Alien novel can exist without having to have actual... Aliens in it.

I precaisly felt that Aliens were shoehorned in Vasquez. In Bishop, yeah, their inclusion wasn't the best, but also nothing offensive, and they were at least nicely represented. As for secondary characters and plots, I had similiar feeling in the middle of the book, but as I mentioned, I felt that finale nicely put them all together and made it work.
But I agree, there should be a place for stories without Xenomorphs in them. I can't say anything about Origins, I haven't read it, But Inferno's Fall proved for me that we don't need classic XX121s to tell a good story.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

I preferred Vasquez. And Vasquez was not terribly great.

Bishop is just an absolute mess and undermines Alien 3 completely.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed