Aliens Bishop

Started by felix, Apr 19, 2023, 04:56:25 AM

Author
Aliens Bishop (Read 82,655 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Cold Forge also gets away with it to a large degree simply because it's f**king awesome. I can live with W-Y pulling a whole batch of eggs out of their collective arse because at the end of the day the book's so good I can overlook my reservations about that one issue.

See also: Ripley's relative being in Isolation.

If either of those had sucked the elephant in the room would've been much harder to swallow.

SM

SM

It also gets away with it because it never even remotely touches on where the eggs came from.

I think Alex White has said they came from LV-426, so it was fortunate they left them out.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Spoiler
The scene in which Michael Bishop spritzes on some Queen pheromone and promptly gets jumped by a bunch of Xenos is easily the one of the (unintentionally) funniest things I have ever read. Ever!
[close]

SM

SM

That doesn't sound like a spoiler at all.

SiL

SiL

I'm hoping it's a piss take.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: SiL on Jan 06, 2024, 10:33:34 PMI'm hoping it's a piss take.

It felt like one.

SiL

SiL

Could you then use spoiler tags in the future? What the f**k?

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: SiL on Jan 07, 2024, 10:02:42 AMCould you then use spoiler tags in the future? What the f**k?

Relax, it's not like it's the biggest event in the book. That would be

Spoiler
Michael Bishop somehow becoming a virtual entity in the epilogue.
[close]

SiL

SiL

You've spoiled a setup and payoff that seems like it might have been nice to have the chance to experience, even if it is ridiculous, but f**k everyone else I guess.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: SiL on Jan 07, 2024, 10:28:32 AMYou've spoiled a setup and payoff that seems like it might have been nice to have the chance to experience, even if it is ridiculous, but f**k everyone else I guess.

I've spoilered it. Now go have a coffee and calm down.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Less of the attitude, please, Badger. And please ensure you're spoiler any spoiler, regardless of your feelings towards it.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 07, 2024, 11:27:27 AMLess of the attitude, please, Badger. And please ensure you're spoiler any spoiler, regardless of your feelings towards it.

Absolutely.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Jan 07, 2024, 11:33:12 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 07, 2024, 11:27:27 AMLess of the attitude, please, Badger. And please ensure you're spoiler any spoiler, regardless of your feelings towards it.

Absolutely.

Is it as good as Colony War?

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 07, 2024, 11:42:03 AM
Quote from: Slutty Badger on Jan 07, 2024, 11:33:12 AM

Absolutely.

Is it as good as Colony War?

Oho, nothing's as good as Colony War! Love that thing.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Okay, so I'm a little bit further into the book, I think something like 26%.

Spoiler
Does the book bother reconciling its own premise (Michael Bishop recovering Alien data from trashed-Bishop) with the Colonial Marines Technical Manual's last chapter where WY had a full download of Bishop post-Alien3 and that's where the bulk of their Alien knowledge came from?

Like, does the book address how Michael Bishop came into possession of Bishop's remains? Did he just... take them from Fury 161 when all the WY people he was with weren't paying attention? What's the chain of custody here?

If WY did download Bishop per the CMTM, does Michael know that? If WY could do it, why can't he?

Not to mention I'm not sure why Michael cares about that knowledge when he's got literal honest to god bona-fide facehuggers in his labs, which he got from.... who knows where.

I don't know how thrilled I am with the idea of Michael Bishop building Bishop a new body that looks different from his old body. Like, I mean, if it's meant to be Lance Henriksen as he looked in his early 30s or something then I guess that's okay, I dunno. But if it's a totally different guy, I don't like it.
[close]

Like, on paper, a book about Michael Bishop and Bishop's fate after Alien3 and the relationship between the two is a hell of a hook. It's just the way it's playing out has me raising my eyebrows.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed