Godzilla
101 (75.4%)
King Kong
25 (18.7%)
I don't know?
8 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author
The GODZILLA thread (Read 2,524,190 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Minus One definitely falls in the same category as the ones you mentioned there.

I like just about every flavor Godzilla comes in – there's something for every mood. After Shin Godzilla, Singular Point, and Minus One (all three of which I loved), I'd love to see Toho pivot take another stab at a straight up monster brawl again.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I'll have to get back to Singular Point sometime.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 18, 2023, 11:54:37 PMI'd love to see Toho pivot take another stab at a straight up monster brawl again.

Yeah as much as I've been absolutely loving these recent films that follow the tone of the original masterpiece, I'd love to see something that follows the lead of a film like GMK. Awesome monster brawls and spectacle, but still has some thematic depth to grasp onto.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 18, 2023, 11:56:25 PMI'll have to get back to Singular Point sometime.

It definitely isn't for everyone, for sure, but I personally adored it. Would go so far as to say it's one of my favorite Godzilla entries, full stop.

To say that it washed the taste of the anime trilogy out of my mouth would be an understatement, haha.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Stitch on Dec 18, 2023, 10:44:28 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 18, 2023, 12:32:06 AMNever seen a Godzilla film before, think I might have spoilt myself on this, if it is the best one.
Just because it's really good (possibly the best), doesn't mean the other ones aren't good. Just remember that any Big G film you see from before Minus One is leading up to it, and think of them like building blocks, forming a foundation.

Doubt it, I generally think monsters (especially giant) are lame, unless part of a greater fabric.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 19, 2023, 12:04:56 AM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 18, 2023, 12:32:06 AMNever seen a Godzilla film before, think I might have spoilt myself on this, if it is the best one.
Just because it's really good (possibly the best), doesn't mean the other ones aren't good. Just remember that any Big G film you see from before Minus One is leading up to it, and think of them like building blocks, forming a foundation.

Doubt it, I generally think monsters (especially giant) are lame, unless part of a greater fabric.
Fair enough. A lot of Godzilla might not be for you. I'd still recommend the original, for obvious reasons, as well as Shin Godzilla, since it's a good satire on Japanese bureaucracy and red tape. Return of Godzilla and GMK are also favourites of mine.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 19, 2023, 12:04:56 AM

Its always best to keep an open mind. For example, I dragged my wife to see minus one, she had zero interest in Godzilla and no way was she going to watch it without my convincing, and she was shocked and stunned at how good the movie was.

Give another Godzilla movie a go, and you might be surprised.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 18, 2023, 11:58:58 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 18, 2023, 11:56:25 PMI'll have to get back to Singular Point sometime.

It definitely isn't for everyone, for sure, but I personally adored it. Would go so far as to say it's one of my favorite Godzilla entries, full stop.

To say that it washed the taste of the anime trilogy out of my mouth would be an understatement, haha.

I liked the first episode back when I watched it, i just lost track. And Netflix also had that Gamera anime I need to get to.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

The Gamera one is a bit of an odd experience – the animation for the monster stuff looks good, the animation for the non-monster stuff very much does not. I wasn't expecting a ton from it, and it is pretty standard fare, but I did end up liking it more than I expected to (pretty decent human cast of characters too, despite how rough the animation is on them).

Not the big grand return I was expecting from Gamera, but not a bad experience by any means. Many steps above Godzilla's anime trilogy, but not nearly as good as Singular Point.

Immortan Jonesy

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 19, 2023, 02:52:07 AMThe Gamera one is a bit of an odd experience – the animation for the monster stuff looks good, the animation for the non-monster stuff very much does not. I wasn't expecting a ton from it, and it is pretty standard fare, but I did end up liking it more than I expected to (pretty decent human cast of characters too, despite how rough the animation is on them).

Not the big grand return I was expecting from Gamera, but not a bad experience by any means. Many steps above Godzilla's anime trilogy, but not nearly as good as Singular Point.

I've always wanted to see a Godzilla vs Gamera movie, but I won't be holding my breath for one anytime soon.  Gamera isn't like Kong, where Legendary could negotiate the rights for, Gamera belongs to Kadokawa Daiei Studio, which has Gamera as their exclusive IP. So Toho vs Kadokawa Daiei; the rival studios could not agree who will come out on top in that monster battle. And then the complicated negotiation over rights to revenue from the merchandise from the film will drag on between the studios. Not to mention whoever wins, Godzilla or Gamera, that will bound to upset either fan contingent.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Daiei approached Toho with a deal for a Gamera vs Godzilla movie a while back, but Toho shot them down. Of course, Toho seems to be more willing to experiment these days, so who knows.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed