Aliens Bishop

Started by felix, Apr 19, 2023, 04:56:25 AM

Author
Aliens Bishop (Read 80,300 times)

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Dec 14, 2023, 11:58:04 AM
Quote from: jacobo1122 on Dec 14, 2023, 06:25:09 AM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on Dec 12, 2023, 01:37:07 PMJust finished reading and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was! IMO this was an excellent follow up to Alien 3 and the familial connection to Apone didn't feel forced. The author nailed the dialogue with Bishop/Michael Bishop where I could hear Lance Hennrickson's voice in my head with every line!
Spoiler
The same could be said about Morse and it was fun seeing him return as well as an explanation for how he got "Space Beast" out. I also liked how Michael Bishop was human until the very end which is a nice nod to endless fandom debate on whether he's an android or not.
[close]
Overall really fun read and I genuinely look forward to re-reading it! 9.5/10!

Nice, hope I'll like it too. It would feel good to fully enjoy New Titan book again. Book should arrive in few days so  I'll know soon.

I found it to be leaps and bounds better than any of last years books.

Better than Inferno's Fall? Snort.

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Dec 14, 2023, 01:19:12 PM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on Dec 12, 2023, 01:37:07 PMJust finished reading and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was! IMO this was an excellent follow up to Alien 3 and the familial connection to Apone didn't feel forced. The author nailed the dialogue with Bishop/Michael Bishop where I could hear Lance Hennrickson's voice in my head with every line!
Spoiler
The same could be said about Morse and it was fun seeing him return as well as an explanation for how he got "Space Beast" out. I also liked how Michael Bishop was human until the very end which is a nice nod to endless fandom debate on whether he's an android or not.
[close]

Nice, hope I'll like it too. It would feel good to fully enjoy New Titan book again. Book should arrive in few days so  I'll know soon.

Yeah, I also like Inferno's fall much. Its exception from latest Titan's publications. And it was based on original characters, places, and events, so Bishop already doesn't seems so interesting to me, but we'll see, maybe it will deliver and I won't mind bringing back known characters and adding their relatives, even if i don't like this trope.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Spoiler
[close]

Can't be better than Colony War.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Spoiler
[close]

Okay Rick and Snorty. Yes I do think it was better. While Infernos Fall was the best of last year's novels, it lacked good descriptions of the creatures and action sequences. And while I liked the new characters, the underutilization of Zula and Olivia Shipp was a disappointment IMO. But hey both books give us glimpses of the Australian War if you're into that.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 14, 2023, 04:12:09 PMCan't be better than Colony War.

No, nothing beats "Pugh, Pugh, McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub".

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Dec 14, 2023, 04:49:51 PMOkay Rick and Snorty. Yes I do think it was better. While Infernos Fall was the best of last year's novels, it lacked good descriptions of the creatures and action sequences. And while I liked the new characters, the underutilization of Zula and Olivia Shipp was a disappointment IMO. But hey both books give us glimpses of the Australian War if you're into that.

"Rick and Snorty". Love it!  ;D

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Dec 14, 2023, 05:23:02 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 14, 2023, 04:12:09 PMCan't be better than Colony War.

No, nothing beats "Pugh, Pugh, McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub".

Those names would sound right at home in Noah Hawley's show.

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Does the novel ever make mention of Bishop's (the android) homeworld?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 15, 2023, 12:44:15 AMDoes the novel ever make mention of Bishop's (the android) homeworld?

Is Bishop an alien now too?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 16, 2023, 01:07:52 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 15, 2023, 12:44:15 AMDoes the novel ever make mention of Bishop's (the android) homeworld?

Is Bishop an alien now too?
Nah I'm just curious if the book references Bishop's "canonical" homeworld (which comes from the Kenner toys). I think his homeworld is at least present on the galaxy map in the RPG.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Does a robot have a "homeworld" based on where it's made?

My mate wouldn't claim Germany as his home just because he was born there.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 16, 2023, 10:55:09 AMDoes a robot have a "homeworld" based on where it's made?

My mate wouldn't claim Germany as his home just because he was born there.
Homeworld generally means "where you were born", in sci-fi parlance.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

He should be from radioactive wasteland of Canberra.

Some Old Dude

Some Old Dude

Just catching up on the thread and laughing at the prospect of nuking Canberra. I'm fairly certain no one in the rest of the country would notice.

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

Okay,I read it rather quickly,cause it was pretty solid read. It didn't blow me out of my socks or anything, but after few missteps and middling books from Titan, that was a good feeling to just mostly enjoying myself during a read.

I had worries at first,that it would end up like Vasquez novel, where the best part was about titular hero, and it ended after first third of the book and after that we got not very good story about other characters. But Bishop has much better construction. We're jumping between a few main and secondary characters for a whole book,and their storylines nicely entangle and come together at the satisfing finale. And I enjoyed  following most of these protagonists. Only wasn't sure about Apone's brother,I don't feel that it was neccesary for him to be known character's relative It feeled a little forced. Also his constant pompous quotes could get annoying.  But as for other known characters, I really enjoyed their inclusion. Bishop had interesting role with finding and understanding his feelings, although if someone doesn't like more human-like, emotional potrayal of androids, they might not like it, but since Bishop was first android that showed us their more human side,it seems appropiate to give him that kind of arc. Also seeing more of Michael Bishop was very interesting and fun. And there's one suprise known character, whose apperance  gave me a lot of giggles.

Books had also a lot of little easter eggs and attention to details that should satify EU enjoyers. I really liked usage of acid blood on a spaceship fight, or Xenos' carapace actually deflecting smaller calliber bullets. But It also had a couple of nitpicks,for example we get nice Manumala Noxhydria name for facehuggers, but adult Aliens are just called Xenomorphs throghout whole book. Would it be that hard to just add that nice little XX121 to it? :) Also I felt that Napper was overusing onomatopoeias in his descriptions and dialogues.

Overall it was definetly a better read than I was expecting. Not top tier neccesarly, but just a solid fun.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed