Godzilla
101 (75.4%)
King Kong
25 (18.7%)
I don't know?
8 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author
The GODZILLA thread (Read 2,524,103 times)

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

So, new trailer for Godzilla x Kong coming up?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Bow to your sensei!

reecebomb

reecebomb

Minus One still sitting at 100% fresh, anybody here seen it already? Will try to go tomorrow, pretty excited though I've spoiled it too much.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

I saw Minus One last night and loved it!

Beautifully shot, amazing score, some impactful character drama, and Godzilla is pretty intimidating and has some great scenes.

Easily a 8 or 9 /10 for me, but I can see people arguing that it's a 10/10 Godzilla movie.

ace3g

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Nobody within a few hundred km of me is playing it, and by the time I'd have the ability to travel for it, the incredibly brief run will be over (1-3 days in most locations that have it at all, here).

reecebomb

reecebomb

Damn. Guess I'm lucky they are showing it here in Estonia, just got tickets for tomorrow. I will be happy if it's at least on par with Shin but let's see, hard to control the hype.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Godzilla: Minus One

Spoiler
"Smile, you son of a bitch!"
[close]

Really loved this.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Hell yes, this is playing near me. Going tomorrow.  8)

BringbackJonesy!

BringbackJonesy!

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Nov 30, 2023, 04:01:32 PMI saw Minus One last night and loved it!

Beautifully shot, amazing score, some impactful character drama, and Godzilla is pretty intimidating and has some great scenes.

Easily a 8 or 9 /10 for me, but I can see people arguing that it's a 10/10 Godzilla movie.

Very glad to hear this.  A good score is always a welcome bonus.  Showing near me on the 15th December it seems, so that's this year's 'Christmas' cinema visit with the family sorted.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Thinking on it since seeing last night, and I think this might just be my favorite human cast in a Godzilla movie... ever?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 01, 2023, 02:53:44 AMGodzilla: Minus One

Spoiler
"Smile, you son of a bitch!"
[close]

Really loved this.

Spoiler

Minus One is amazing, easily in the top five Godzilla movies if not the very best. The action is great, but the story and characters are incredibly emotionally involving. My only complaints are minor: the exposition line about the natives calling it Godzilla is clunky (and the natives are seemingly non-existent in terms of the movie), and the Mothra theme playing a little during the finale was  bit odd.

reecebomb

reecebomb

I just came back from the cinema, and regrettably, it was underwhelming considering all the hype. Should have went in blind. I mean there was a lot to like. Yet at the same time, a lot of it didn't work as intended. Maybe 3 out of 5, certainly not bad overall but at times I was wondering if I was watching the same film as everyone else.

The main issue right off the bat was that the premise was absolutely great and fitting for Godzilla and I applaud the attempt of making more one character-centered story. But ultimately the drama was mediocre, cliched, and weirdly paced. And Godzilla was barely in it, wouldn't have been an issue at all if the story around the monster was written and directed better and the attack scenes were more awe-inducing. I know that often less is more, but felt like there was a huge chunk of Godzilla destruction missing. By the end I was rooting for Godzilla, thinking this surely can't be over yet.
Spoiler
There is basically only one on-land attack scene and that is over as soon as it started, much of it has been shown in trailers
[close]

On the plus side, the likable supporting cast kept it afloat. The creature design is great, the CGI is often superb (especially considering the budget), and parts of the action are indeed effective. The sound is phenomenal, and music inspiring.

Recent Shin Godzilla is certainly more successful in achieving its intentions and thus overall a better film. Still, I'm glad that Minus One seems to be doing well. Japan needs to continue the tradition of making Gojira movies.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed