Gladiator II

Started by Ingwar, Nov 01, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Author
Gladiator II (Read 51,872 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 09, 2023, 12:28:22 PMProduction should be back up and running on this soon, I'd imagine!

Is the strike over as of now, immediately? Or are there still some minor details to sort out?

Quote from: Ingwar on Nov 09, 2023, 12:31:18 PMRidley said he could start on Monday ;D

While I'm glad the strike is over and production can start again on Gladiator II, won't it cut short Ridley's F*ck You Tour?  :(

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1723041581282820394

QuoteOver in Malta, Ridley Scott's "Gladiator 2" will be resuming production on the island, where a gigantic ancient Rome open-air set set that includes a life-sized Coliseum has been deteriorating since July 14 when the sequel was shut down. The sets will now need plenty of touching up.

Sources in Malta say the Paramount, Universal and Scott Free production is now expected back soon after nearly four months. A recent New Yorker profile revealed that in the meantime, Scott has been busy editing the 90 minutes of footage he was able to capture.

Ingwar

Ingwar

QuoteScott has signalled December 4 as a potential date to restart the shoot of the multi-million film at Ricasoli, Kalkara, sources close to the industry said.

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/gladiator-filming-malta-expected-resume-early-december.1066821

Ingwar

Ingwar

QuoteDEADLINE: Now that the strike is finally over, how quickly can you get your Gladiator sequel back on track?

RIDLEY SCOTT: Couple weeks. Thank God it's over. We shot about 90 minutes, at least that's finished. It's really getting the sets cleaned up, they're already built. I got another 90 minutes to go.

DEADLINE: Presumably you couldn't talk with your actors during the strike. How did you protect against the possibility your gladiators have porked up over the last half year?

SCOTT: None of my guys do that. Paul Mescal is really very fit and stays that way. I haven't seen the other ones yet, so I hope they're not porked up.

DEADLINE: I have heard Denzel Washington has been working out hard. You had him in a badass turn in American Gangster....

SCOTT: That is his thing. I think it's his manner, and obviously he's actually in a bad mood. I think it's just the way he is. He tends to be abrupt. You got to get used to that. But nevertheless, he's quite charming.

Another 90 minutes to go? 180 minutes give or take in total?

QuoteDEADLINE: Your movies often get sequels, some you've directed and some not. What here interested you enough to direct Gladiator 2?

SCOTT: Well, economically, it makes sense. That always begins there. I thought the [first] film was, as it were, completely satisfactory, creatively complete, so why muck with it, right? But these cycles keeps going on and on and on, they repeat globally for the last 20 years. It started to spell itself out as an obvious thing to do, and that's how it evolved. The hardest thing is getting the footprint right with the writer. There was a very obvious way to go, which was who's the survivor? Well, the survivor could be Connie, Marcus' daughter, but what's even more interesting, and therefore a double whammy, there's the son. Whatever happened to him? It became about that, and that's Paul Mescal. It's 20 years on. That was harder than casting Russell as Maximus, that was more obvious.

DEADLINE: Once you see Russell play that cop in L.A. Confidential, you could see he had the charisma and authority to play Maximus. What about Paul Mescal?

SCOTT: I'm always looking for someone, something new and fresh. I mean, fresh is terribly important. So they're not carrying ... baggage is a terrible word for what they've done before, because it's great stuff, but you will remember he just did this character already. I watched this show called Normal People. It's unusual for me, but I saw one and thought, that's interesting. These actors are really good I watched the whole goddamn show and thought, damn. So this came up at a time when I need a 23 year old, 24 year old to take up the mantle of Lucius. And I just said, you want to do it? He said, yeah. He was about to do Streetcar Named Desire in London.

DEADLINE: What about Denzel?

SCOTT: There's a parallel character, the owner of a business that supplied weapons for the Romans, who supplied the oil when they traveled, who supplied the wine they drink. They wouldn't drink water, they drank wine. When they traveled, who would supply wagons and horses and tack? There had to be the arms dealers of the period; here is a man who already rich from supplying the weapons, the catapults. His hobby is like a racing stable except it's gladiators. He's got a stable of 30 or 40 gladiators. He likes to actually see them fight and it evolves that that's where he came from. He was captured in North Africa, and evolved into a free man because he was a good gladiator. But he hides that because also he's now realizing the potential of his actual power. He's wealthier than most senators, so already has thoughts and designs of the possible idea of taking power from these two crazy princes.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/ridley-scott-napoleon-gladiator-2-joaquin-phoenix-interview-1235600742/

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Saw a rumour on twitter that said they start shooting on the 1st of December again. So kind of matches up with Ridley's "couple of weeks".

Also, that Western sounds like an original script?

Ingwar

Ingwar

Hard to tell. To quote Scott I have a script finished to the extent that we've already pitched to studios and I've already wrecked it, might be anything. I still hope it's Broken Land :)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Nov 14, 2023, 07:43:49 PMHard to tell. To quote Scott I have a script finished to the extent that we've already pitched to studios and I've already wrecked it, might be anything. I still hope it's Broken Land :)

Maybe that "wrecked it" might be a hint? "Wrecked" = "Broken"?  ;)

IIRC, you already read the book? What was it like?

Ingwar

Ingwar

It's savage! :)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Was there a fight scene in the snow in it?

Ingwar

Ingwar

God, I don't remember. I've read it in 2015.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

No snow from what I remember, but it was pretty harrowing in places. Like, I have no idea if anyone would fund that movie if it stayed close to the book.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Yeah, it's brutal. I have to read it again.

QuoteZahler does everything right with Wraiths of the Broken Land. The book pulls you under and never lets you up, the cruelty he dishes out throughout the novel – to both our heroes and villains – is vicious at best, and the ending is so powerful that it's debatable as to who the victors really are in this bloodbath of a book.

https://www.horrordna.com/books/wraiths-of-the-broken-land-s-craig-zahler-book-review

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The first page has

Spoiler
a woman pulling a dead turtle out of her cooch.
[close]

Not exactly Blood Meridian, but f**k.

nanison

nanison

I'm pretty sure I read "wraiths" was in production a few years ago but I guess it stalled.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

A couple of film news sites reckon it most likely is Wraiths of the Broken Land. But they are really just speculating like the rest of us.

Quote from: Film StoriesAs part of a much longer interview with Deadline that is well worth a read, it's revealed that 'it's period, with a script like perfectly distilled liquor, and two stars ready to join him in what he said is a bucket list project for him.'

Sounds pretty exciting, right?

Speculation is rife that the project will be an adaptation of the S. Craig Zahler novel, Wraiths Of A Broken Land which Scott optioned a few years ago.

Drew Goddard, who penned the script for The Martian has reportedly written the screenplay, with the story focusing around 'A father who attempts to rescue his daughters from a brothel with the help of his two sons and their outlaw gang.'

https://filmstories.co.uk/news/ridley-scott-plans-to-make-a-western-next/

Quote from: World of ReelAbout that mysterious western, set to be his next film, Scott tells deadline that he expects to shoot it next March. Although he is keeping the details to himself, he says it's period, with a script like "perfectly distilled liquor, and two stars ready to join him" in what he says is a "bucket list project" for him.

Who are we kidding here? It's gotta be his adaptation of S. Craig Zahler's Western novel "Wraiths of the Broken Land." The project was announced in May 2016. Scott would be re-teaming with "The Martian" writer Drew Goddard for this one.

Here's the synopsis:

"Wraiths of the Broken Land," published in 2013, is set in Mexico around 1900 with two sisters forced into prostitution at a gentlemen's club. The sisters' two brothers and their father attempt to rescue them through their outlaw gang which also includes a former slave, an Indian and a brutal gunman (or "wraith") who is the tactical leader.

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/11/8/vr69qmrveqmiuw8tgehobseqbqnwbu

Quote from: nanison on Nov 16, 2023, 12:40:35 AMI'm pretty sure I read "wraiths" was in production a few years ago but I guess it stalled.

Apparently it was a "priority" for Ridley after finishing Alien: Covenant. Not sure how much pre-production work was done on this:

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/ridley-scott-boards-western-thriller-wraiths-broken-land/

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed