Fede Alvarez Talks Sir Ridley Scott's Response to Early Alien: Romulus Cut

Started by Darkoo, Oct 16, 2023, 07:29:19 PM

Author
Fede Alvarez Talks Sir Ridley Scott's Response to Early Alien: Romulus Cut (Read 25,897 times)

David Weyland

Not anyone's fault here or the person with the resources but to the majority of people on this planet  blowing a 'mere' 60k on a home entertainment system however passionate about film is a bit crass

BenditlikeBeckum

BenditlikeBeckum

Its a problem because people forget emojis all the time.
 :-\

SiL

Quote from: zak098 on Oct 27, 2023, 03:48:32 PMThis is not bragging, I thought that fans of these Alien films are people who have these films on BD discs and watch them on the highest quality equipment, not on 55-inch TVs. Only on huge cinema screens with super high-end projectors.
Again, odd theme to troll on.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: zak098 on Oct 27, 2023, 03:48:32 PMThis is not bragging, I thought that fans of these Alien films are people who have these films on BD discs and watch them on the highest quality equipment, not on 55-inch TVs.

No. Fans of the Alien films are fans of the Alien films.

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: zak098 on Oct 27, 2023, 03:48:32 PMThis is not bragging, I thought that fans of these Alien films are people who have these films on BD discs and watch them on the highest quality equipment, not on 55-inch TVs. Only on huge cinema screens with super high-end projectors.

Do any of you know what class this projector is and have you had contact with the JVC brand https://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-RS3100.htm

1; FANS of these movies have been enjoying them on every media format available to them. Whether that be a TV broadcast, vhs, laserdisc, dvd, Betamax, 8mm, Cinema viewing, blu-ray etc - it doesn't matter, you aren't less of a fan for watching on a particular screen... in fact I'd argue the knowledge of many here on these forums would dwarf the knowledge of most self-proclaimed "hard core" fans.

2; No disrespect meant, but I'm having a hard time keeping a straight face hearing the flex regarding a 60k setup...only to big up watching a Blu-ray Disc on it 🤣 That's like dropping 5k on a gaming PC rig to emulate a ZX Spectrum. The blu-ray will dish out the same resolution and bitrate on your equipment as it will on a £30 blu-ray player and £100 HDTV from Walmart. You want to impress us? Screen an undamaged 1979 35mm print from the reels with native theatrical audio, then I'll twiddle my nipples for ya. Until then, all I'm hearing is that you have more expendable funds than you do knowledge on 'quality'. 😅

zak098

zak098

Quote from: David Weyland on Oct 27, 2023, 04:12:04 PMNot anyone's fault here or the person with the resources but to the majority of people on this planet  blowing a 'mere' 60k on a home entertainment system however passionate about film is a bit crass

Only 60,000 Euro, so show off what kind of cinema system you have on which you can watch your favorite Alien.

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Oct 27, 2023, 09:27:12 PM

Do any of you know what class this projector is and have you had contact with the JVC brand https://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-RS3100.htm

1; FANS of these movies have been enjoying them on every media format available to them. Whether that be a TV broadcast, vhs, laserdisc, dvd, Betamax, 8mm, Cinema viewing, blu-ray etc - it doesn't matter, you aren't less of a fan for watching on a particular screen... in fact I'd argue the knowledge of many here on these forums would dwarf the knowledge of most self-proclaimed "hard core" fans.

2; No disrespect meant, but I'm having a hard time keeping a straight face hearing the flex regarding a 60k setup...only to big up watching a Blu-ray Disc on it 🤣 That's like dropping 5k on a gaming PC rig to emulate a ZX Spectrum. The blu-ray will dish out the same resolution and bitrate on your equipment as it will on a £30 blu-ray player and £100 HDTV from Walmart. You want to impress us? Screen an undamaged 1979 35mm print from the reels with native theatrical audio, then I'll twiddle my nipples for ya. Until then, all I'm hearing is that you have more expendable funds than you do knowledge on 'quality'. 😅

But on Blu-ray you undoubtedly have much higher image and sound quality than some 35mm copy from 1979, DTS HD MA on my system turned down to 80-85dB dB in a small room would blow you away - the intensity and noise are a pain for a human being.

When the Nostromo lands in my cinema room on Denon, the level is 85 dB and the plaster falls off in the next room, luckily there is a laundry room there.

The SVS subwoofer adds a lot to the low frequency range that causes a certain panic in horror movies.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: zak098 on Oct 27, 2023, 09:34:11 PMBut on Blu-ray you undoubtedly have much higher image and sound quality than some 35mm copy from 1979

The resolution of 35mm film is roughly 5600 x 3620, as opposed to the 1920 x 1080 Blu-ray is capped at.

A 4K UHD disc will get you closer to film's native resolution.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: zak098 on Oct 27, 2023, 09:34:11 PM
Quote from: David Weyland on Oct 27, 2023, 04:12:04 PMNot anyone's fault here or the person with the resources but to the majority of people on this planet  blowing a 'mere' 60k on a home entertainment system however passionate about film is a bit crass

Only 60,000 Euro, so show off what kind of cinema system you have on which you can watch your favorite Alien.

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Oct 27, 2023, 09:27:12 PM

But on Blu-ray you undoubtedly have much higher image and sound quality than some 35mm copy from 1979, DTS HD MA on my system turned down to 80-85dB dB in a small room would blow you away - the intensity and noise are a pain for a human being.

When the Nostromo lands in my cinema room on Denon, the level is 85 dB and the plaster falls off in the next room, luckily there is a laundry room there.

I highly recommend you experience some of the 5k transfers fans are pulling from 35mm prints compared with retail discs. They are things of beauty, and don't suffer DNR/edge enhancement/colour regrades of many retail releases.

In regards to quality; resolution doesn't equate to quality; (I'll use this screenshot I posted in another thread the other day as one such example rather than create a new one);

This is 'The Evil Dead' - the first pic is a screenshot of my Japanese Herald Videogram Laserdisc from 1985... the second is a screenshot of my Anchor Bay Blu-ray that most fans argued was 'the best the movie has ever looked' (I've argued many a time that this isn't the case). Picture one you have great contrast levels, great detail in the analogue image. Picture 2, contrast and brightness is abysmal, there is zero depth, brickwork has disappeared on the wall, the DNR has removed a number from the clock, creases in Ash's shirt disappear, etc etc... people argued that the grain levels were fantastic and there was no DNR...but these screenshots demonstrate that in fact it was DNR'd to oblivion, and then a FAKE grain layer was applied to give the illusion of a clean, crisp picture...but it's artificial as hell.

Don't be fooled by buying the latest and greatest as 'the best'. I've seen beautiful 5k transfers pulled from reels by fans. Sure resolution may be lower, but I still have certain pre-cert VHS tapes I can pull more detail from than their digital HD counterparts. I promise you, with a £60k setup, you should seriously consider viewing 35mm film; it may surprise you 😁

Mike’s Monsters

This is such an odd conversation.

SiL

Quote from: zak098 on Oct 27, 2023, 09:34:11 PMBut on Blu-ray you undoubtedly have much higher image and sound quality than some 35mm copy from 1979
For someone who touts themselves as striving for only the best quality, this comment reveals a great deal of ignorance on the subject.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: zak098 on Oct 27, 2023, 09:34:11 PMOnly 60,000 Euro, so show off what kind of cinema system you have on which you can watch your favorite Alien.

Quote from: SiL on Oct 27, 2023, 11:09:10 PM

For someone who touts themselves as striving for only the best quality, this comment reveals a great deal of ignorance on the subject.

I bet he doesn't even allow those unsophisticated Predator movies to desecrate his home theater with their soda-drinking silliness.

ralfy

Reminds me of pirated versions of various films copied to video tape or DVD, with timers, etc., still displayed on the screen.

Too bad Scott didn't give a few more details, but if he liked it, then it's probably at least OK.

Nightmare Asylum

I'm sure Scott gave Fede plenty of details – but we aren't going to be privy to those 10 months out from release.

Local Trouble

Are ten months enough time to do reshoots with half-helmets?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 28, 2023, 01:01:04 AMAre ten months enough time to do reshoots with half-helmets?

Is a half-helmet better or worse than no helmet?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed