Is the alien as strong as we make it out to be?

Started by littlesprout, Jun 19, 2023, 07:20:36 PM

Author
Is the alien as strong as we make it out to be? (Read 8,270 times)

SiL

Quote from: Still Collating... on Sep 24, 2023, 08:38:00 PMNot to mention that no creature of any weight would make such loud sounds even if they tried.
Would absolutely make that sound if it tried, but why would it?

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Just to weight in on 'Stompy' - I think it pretty much emulates what we see in the movies to be fair. In 'Alien 3' after Clemens is killed and Ripley recoils to the wall, the runner stomps over to her. When it runs across the ceiling in the tunnels surrounding the blast furnace it rapid-stomps (and later seems almost silent and light-footed when having doors sealed behind it).

In 'Alien', we don't get an opportunity to hear it stomp - it attacks Brett from the ceiling, Dallas in the ducts. When it attacks Lambert and Parker it slowly stands raising itself to full height, but we don't know if it stomps, as all we hear is the overbearing soundtrack and see it slow-mo back to Lambert after killing Parker. In the shuttle it falls to the floor and then simply stands again before being blasted out of the airlock.

In 'Aliens', the only time we see the xenos standing/moving on the metal grates, there is always either Smart Gun or Pulse Rifle fire (or we anre viewing them through a monitor whilst sentry guns are firing) and heavy soundtrack. The times we see them moving silently they are coming out of the hive walls or ceilings. (And whilst the queen is larger, we hear it stomp over to the loader bay door in pursuit of Ripley on the Sulaco)

And hate to reference 'Alien Resurrection' for anything (as it gets everything about the creature from its sound to behaviour etc wrong) but pretty sure when we get that camera shot from beneath the xeno as the crew are trying to get through the door before Ripley shows up and shoots it the mouth, we hear a stomp as it's foot comes down.

I'd need to rewatch Covenant for the airlock scene as whilst I can picture it I can't hear it in my head 🤣

But I don't think 'Alien Isolation' was OTT - if it was attacking from lurking on  the walls or ceilings I'd expect it to be silent, but walking around the station without an overbearing movie soundtrack? Corresponds to 'Alien 3'. 😃

SiL

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Sep 24, 2023, 09:09:24 PMIn 'Alien 3' after Clemens is killed and Ripley recoils to the wall, the runner stomps over to her. When it runs across the ceiling in the tunnels surrounding the blast furnace it rapid-stomps (and later seems almost silent and light-footed when having doors sealed behind it).
It's mostly completely silent when running around. The sounds it does make approaching Ripley in the infirmary aren't anywhere near as bad as Stompy.

QuoteWhen it attacks Lambert and Parker it slowly stands raising itself to full height, but we don't know if it stomps, as all we hear is the overbearing soundtrack and see it slow-mo back to Lambert after killing Parker. In the shuttle it falls to the floor and then simply stands again before being blasted out of the airlock.
The Alien first crawls into the room silently -- and there's no soundtrack. The shot of it walking towards Lambert isn't slow motion, but there isn't any sound.

QuoteIn 'Aliens', the only time we see the xenos standing/moving on the metal grates, there is always either Smart Gun or Pulse Rifle fire (or we anre viewing them through a monitor whilst sentry guns are firing) and heavy soundtrack.
The sound mix when the Alien approaches Ripley and Newt in Operations would more than allow for heavy metal stomping (we can hear it hissing, the background sound is mixed down) -- but it's not there.

Them moving around quietly is absolutely intentional in the movies, with the occasional noise for dramatic effect. Mr Stompy is just trying to be polite, letting everyone know where he is.

Eal

Quote from: SiL on Sep 24, 2023, 07:57:35 PMConsidering the Aliens don't make loud stomping sounds in the films (except one or two notable instances in later movies), it is more authentic for them to not make noise when they walk. Stompy is ridiculous in that regard.

Imagine someone putting Stompy footsteps over Parker and Lambert dying. It'd be laughable.

I'd unironically buy that for a dollar and some laughs, actually. That or seeing an Alien: Isolation-like game where the alien movements are mostly silent and require constant vigilance from the player. The game sort of fails in that regard: disregarding that you can indeed shoot an alien and kill it, acknowledged by Dan O'Bannon and later Cameron, and it instead took the lazy 'bullets won't kill it' approach for the sake of balance. I understand why they felt they had to do it that way, but you can just make the alien smarter and more silent. Or simply make it harder to use your firearms and find bullets, like the recent Amnesia entry did.

SiL

I think I have the sound somewhere. I'll get 'round to it.

BlueMarsalis79

The only time I remember the Aliens being heavy footed's when the Dragon runs across the roof in AlienĀ³ and the Queen. 

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

After playing the last 4 Alien games

Most realistic is Dark Descent imo

Fast, strong, silent (only being able to be tracked via motion tracker) and absolutely horrifying to go against, one mistake you die. A single drone can wipe out your whole squad if you are in a bad position or out of ammo, a Warrior can wipe out your whole squad by you don't dodge it's pounce, impressive game that makes ALL aliens tough, yet somehow still allows you to kill hundreds of them.

Stompy makes sense to me cuz by that point the Aliens know and got used to being in the power role

BenditlikeBeckum

BenditlikeBeckum

Stompy I need you to be more Stealth because you need to be more "authentic" to the films....
Dev makes a quick edit.

I replayed this part 50 times, i still don't hear a single foot step. LOL
https://youtu.be/DZFydcYiOtQ?si=wtwYXVkVO79iHJmk&t=60

BigChapismyBestFriend

Quote from: BenditlikeBeckum on Sep 24, 2023, 11:08:17 PMStompy I need you to be more Stealth because you need to be more "authentic" to the films....
Dev makes a quick edit.
https://forum.predator.illfonic.com/uploads/default/original/3X/b/e/be6d700eec865acbc6a8981884e11a43511ad4f1.gif
So basically like this

Eal

SM

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 24, 2023, 09:49:38 PMThe only time I remember the Aliens being heavy footed's when the Dragon runs across the roof in AlienĀ³ and the Queen. 

While there are definitely audible footsteps in that shot (and again when it approaches Ripley in the infirmary) I'm not sure I'd even call it heavy footed. At least not for something of its size.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Sep 24, 2023, 08:47:10 PM
Quote from: Still Collating... on Sep 24, 2023, 08:38:00 PMNot to mention that no creature of any weight would make such loud sounds even if they tried.

Bingo. For anyone curious, try running down your hallway flat footed versus on the balls of your feet, and consider that the only thing that changed was your posture.

In light of that, I'd have it stomp about 30% of the times it comes running at you or flees, with the rest of any movement sounds, regardless of behaviour, being clacking claws or horrifying silence. Preferably with some subtle animation difference in the legs and posture.

BigChapismyBestFriend

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Sep 25, 2023, 02:03:03 AM
Quote from: SiL on Sep 24, 2023, 08:47:10 PM

Bingo. For anyone curious, try running down your hallway flat footed versus on the balls of your feet, and consider that the only thing that changed was your posture.

In light of that, I'd have it stomp about 30% of the times it comes running at you or flees, with the rest of any movement sounds, regardless of behaviour, being clacking claws or horrifying silence. Preferably with some subtle animation difference in the legs and posture.
Yeah this actually makes a lot of sense, in Alien it was quiet because it was hunting, if it had eyes on a target it would become stealthy, in Alien Isolation it was just wondering around the place, it like a curious Cat just checking up on things.

SiL

Are cats known for stomping around when not hunting ... ?

I have two and there is 0 difference in the sound they make between casually strolling and hunting.

[cancerblack]

No, but mine make a hell of a racket when they're playing and chasing each other.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed