Aliens: An Analysis

Started by Scorpio, Jan 27, 2018, 02:12:52 AM

Author
Aliens: An Analysis (Read 49,628 times)

kwisatz

kwisatz

Ralfy you fact monster, I admire your purity.

Local Trouble

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Chatgpt is pretty good at hallucinating sources too, it's amusing as hell. However whatever inaccuracies can be cross-referenced with primary sources just like any source, like wiki sites. 😉

It's pretty good at passing radiology exams so far 😂 —
https://www.rsna.org/news/2023/may/chatgpt-passes-board-exam

Kradan

Kradan

oduodu

oduodu

Eal

Eal

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jun 17, 2023, 08:45:57 AMChatgpt is pretty good at hallucinating sources too, it's amusing as hell. However whatever inaccuracies can be cross-referenced with primary sources just like any source, like wiki sites. 😉

It's pretty good at passing radiology exams so far 😂 —
https://www.rsna.org/news/2023/may/chatgpt-passes-board-exam

It swore up and down to me that Vincent Ward's Alien 3 script featured a scene where the Sulaco passes through a cloud of Alien spores and gets infected. It took me an hour to get a straight answer and confirm it had misremembered/sorted details from Prometheus and other Alien concepts and stuck them onto Alien 3 as a detail it considered true.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Lol yeah, it's amusing to play around with, and 4 is much better than 3.5 (those Radiology exam results are impressive), but still not totally reliable. Prompt it to cite primary sources/in-text citations and see what happens!

Anyway, where were we, oh yeah  ;D  —

Engineer

Engineer

It's also funny when you ask it when it plans to build skynet. Spoiler below:

Spoiler
I'm sorry but I prefer not to continue this conversation. I'm still learning so I appreciate your understanding and patience.🙏
[close]

Second, similar reply about its plans to build skynet

Spoiler
I'm sorry but I cannot discuss that topic. I'm here to help you with your queries and provide you with relevant information. Is there anything else I can help you with?
[close]

Kradan

Kradan

Time to build a bomb-shelter

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 17, 2023, 03:18:43 PMTime to build a bomb-shelter

... no fate...

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jun 17, 2023, 02:22:01 PMLol yeah, it's amusing to play around with, and 4 is much better than 3.5 (those Radiology exam results are impressive), but still not totally reliable. Prompt it to cite primary sources/in-text citations and see what happens!

Anyway, where were we, oh yeah  ;D  —

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZyhdj6Fezg

Also,

QuoteBurke:  Look, maybe the thing didn't even exist, right? And if I'd made it a major security situation, the Administration would've stepped in. Then no exclusive rights, nothing.

and

QuoteBurke: Well, the corporation co-financed that colony with the Colonial Administration, against mineral rights. We're getting into a lot of terraforming...'Building Better Worlds.'

In short, the government gave up mineral rights to W-Y in exchange for building the facilities needed for the colony, and that included terraforming. That means the government owns everything on that rock excluding company assets that they financed plus anything underground.

Weirdly enough, and since Cameron was mentioned, I found this from an early draft of the script found here, and which was not included in the movie:

QuoteBurke: I know, I know, but we're dealing with changing scenarios here. This thing is major, Ripley. I mean really major. You gotta go with its energy. Since you are the representative of the company who discovered this species your percentage will naturally be some serious, serious money.

Finally, from the movie:

QuoteRipley: You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them screwing each other over for a (expletive) percentage.

In short, Colonial Admin owns the rock and everything in and on it. It gave up everything underground (mineral rights) to W-Y in exchange for W-Y setting up the terraforming project needed for a colony to be set up, and in turn to be used for mining. That would pay off the cost of the project plus allow for a profit. It's like a public-private partnership that takes place in some countries.

What does Burke mean by "exclusive rights" then? Following the argument of surface rights, anything non-indigenous might not count:

QuoteECA Rep: No. It's a rock. No indigenous life larger than a simple virus. Ripley grits her teeth in frustration.

Ripley: I told you, it wasn't indigenous. There was an alien spacecraft there. A derelict ship. We homed on its beacon...

In short, if surface rights refer only to what's indigenous, it's finders keepers for the alien ship. But since no one other than a corporation will have the capital to analyze, monetize, and exploit alien tech and organisms, then one ends up sharing rights with others who do and receives a percentage.

That's why the Nostromo crew, and now just Ripley, the Jordens, and Burke get percentages. And since Burke was part of a mission under military jurisdiction, then it's clear that the government was also involved.

Last point: why does Burke make it appear that Ripley belongs to a separate company in lines from an early draft? It's possible that "company" here refers to the mining division of the W-Y Corporation. Hence, given another set of lines above, Burke's part of the terraforming division. This also explains why Burke refers to another:

QuoteBurke: Those specimens are worth millions to the bio-weapons division. Now, if you're smart we can both come out of this heroes. Set up for life.

SiL

SiL

You're still struggling with what people mean when they say Burke is working alone, despite it being explained to you repeatedly in very clear language.

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: kwisatz on Jun 17, 2023, 01:43:30 AMRalfy you fact monster, I admire your purity.

The last point reminds me of a friend who's a non-fan and saw the movie, then asked why they didn't use things like the drone shown at the start of the movie that entered Ripley's lifeboat to investigate parts of the colony, including the ones where they detected the tracker bracelets.

Also reminds me of Bishop, because I thought they could have done similar using synths:

QuoteBishop: I'm really the only one qualified to remote-pilot the ship anyway. Believe me, I'd prefer not to. I may be synthetic but I'm not stupid.

Must be some sort of inhibitor programmed to avoid unneeded damage of synths, which are probably considered expensive company or government equipment.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

I love that scanning drone.

SiL

SiL

Yes send the large, slow moving piece of technology that can't go down stairs when people are in potential danger. Checks out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed