Aliens: An Analysis

Started by Scorpio, Jan 27, 2018, 02:12:52 AM

Author
Aliens: An Analysis (Read 49,670 times)

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Jonjamess on Jun 13, 2023, 08:56:12 AM
Quote from: SiL on Jun 13, 2023, 01:47:43 AMThe movie doesn't show that Bishop works for Burke.

We don't actually need to consider points you make up because you weren't paying attention.
I'll completely admit I glossed over the fact Burke had the live ones in mind when instructing Bishop.

But as you say there is still zero evidence in the movie Bishop takes orders or is working for Burke. He works for that particular Colonial Marine detachment, and he clearly takes orders from people like Gorman or Apone. But as I mentioned Gorman or Apone didn't really seem to care about the facehuggers dead or alive and weren't really qualified to make any decisions regarding seizing those specimens. So they probably just went along with Burke's advice and Bishop's logic in that instance.

From the movie:

Bishop: "Mr. Burke have instructions that they were to be kept alive in stasis for return to the company labs. He was very specific."

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 13, 2023, 10:20:02 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Jun 13, 2023, 01:49:56 AMMore word vomit!!

Quoted for truth

Can't do analysis, so resorts to personal insults.

Quote from: oduodu on Jun 13, 2023, 02:22:36 PM"hey ripley what happened to the other 6 people ? why were some of them not on the lifeboat with you? where were they when the engines detonated?

so you either killed or disabled all of them for no good reason. "

I think the lifeboat could only hold two people.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: ralfy on Jun 14, 2023, 02:00:18 AM
Quote from: SiL on Jun 13, 2023, 01:47:43 AMThe movie doesn't show that Bishop works for Burke.

We don't actually need to consider points you make up because you weren't paying attention.
I'll completely admit I glossed over the fact Burke had the live ones in mind when instructing Bishop.

But as you say there is still zero evidence in the movie Bishop takes orders or is working for Burke. He works for that particular Colonial Marine detachment, and he clearly takes orders from people like Gorman or Apone. But as I mentioned Gorman or Apone didn't really seem to care about the facehuggers dead or alive and weren't really qualified to make any decisions regarding seizing those specimens. So they probably just went along with Burke's advice and Bishop's logic in that instance.

From the movie:

Bishop: "Mr. Burke have instructions that they were to be kept alive in stasis for return to the company labs. He was very specific."

Quoted for truth

Quote from: oduodu on Jun 13, 2023, 02:22:36 PM"hey ripley what happened to the other 6 people ? why were some of them not on the lifeboat with you? where were they when the engines detonated?

Analysis is pointless when you make shit up lmao

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Jonjamess on Jun 13, 2023, 02:39:38 PM

The company accepts that the ship detonated and the other crew were killed. Wether or not they accept Ripley's explanation that they were killed by an acid bleeding Alien or by a self destruction are two completely different things.

It's explained clearly in the movie, they think she has psychological issues and PTSD because of whatever happened not because they think she went nuts and murdered the crew and then blew up the ship.

Accidents must happen to vessels in deep space all the time. Surviving crew members (if any) must be confused, traumatised, have issues dealing with these incidents on a regular basis. People under stress (they've watched their entire crew die perhaps legitimately through a malfunction aboard the vessel or an explosion or whatever) tend to have a tenancy through no fault of their own to fabricate a story to deal with it. Perhaps they thought she couldn't deal with whatever legitimately went wrong and blames herself, so she's made up a story about a space monster! She was under psychiatric evaluation at the time after all so they would have been receiving reports from her doctor to substantiate their reasoning for not believing her.

They company agrees that the ship set down on LV-426. They are simply saying that they don't believe Ripley is talking sense from the trauma of whatever has happened and so they don't believe her Alien story. Again this is backed up by the fact they have had a colony on LV-426 for 20 years with no incident. Had they not had a colony there then perhaps they would have gone and investigated before accusing Ripley of not being of sound mind!

On a slightly unrelated note but I feel slightly related to the current discussion, I've just had a similar incident with an Alien fan on an Aliens Facebook group!

This fan is telling everyone that Ridley Scott owns the Alien franchise, Ridley Scott helps with the creation of the video games especially Aliens Colonial Marines! I'm not even joking.

So when I corrected him and explained Ridley does not remotely own the franchise and that 20th Century Studios and now Disney in fact own it I was met with complete denial and non sensical argumenting. I was told of course Ridley owns it otherwise how did he manage to cancel Alien 5! I was told Aliens Colonial Marines the video game is canon because Ridley worked on it and he says so! I mean if anyone was gonna work on that game it would be Cameron not Ridley!

My point is there's no point trying with some people. Once they have a believe in their head and it fits with their agenda it's impossible to use logic or even hard facts to change their mind.

The problem isn't whether or not they accepted the fact that the ship was blown up but who would pay for it (42 million in "adjusted dollars" without the payload) and who would be responsible for the death of the remaining crew members.

The motive is pointless because even if they found Ripley guilty, she wouldn't have the means to pay for the losses. That's why the best that they could do was conclude that Ripley "acted with questionable judgment". The problem is that what started all that involved them landing on the rock, and that was initiated by the computer changing course because of a distress beacon. For some weird reason, and for a computer that's supposed to be so advanced that it could operate and maintain the ship while the crew was in hibernation, only the flight recorder data was sent to the lifeboat, and it referred only to the location of the landing site. That's actually good enough, but for another weird reason Ripley chooses not to raise that even if it's the only thing that will support her story.

In addition, putting Ripley on a leash that way also makes no sense because when backed against a corner, an embattled animal will strike back, which means Ripley might start talking to other people about what happened, and both company and government would have more difficulty investigating the find. Also, the double cartoonish view of a Burke acting alone because a profit-driven company focusing on monetizing and weaponizing finds doesn't care sounds ridiculous. What makes more sense is that both Burke and company/government are calculating, and that's very much shown across the movies.

The acknowledgment by the company that they did land on the rock actually strengthens her case because the next point to that would be the landing location, and from there her story could be validated. The claim that the company didn't care is nonsense also because as they pointed out they even had an "analysis team" which went over the lifeboat "centimeter by centimeter," which implies that although they want to show Ripley that they don't care about her story they actually do, and if Ripley had remembered what she read about the special order, she'd realize it, too.

If we follow your argument that she's suffering from PTSD, then it's possible that she didn't do that because she was acting with questionable judgment even in defending herself, which explains why she sounded crazy during the hearing and kept repeating her story even though she had no evidence to prove it. However, it's very likely her views of the company monetizing and weaponizing remained, which might be one of the reasons why she decided to join Burke.

About van Leuwen's claim that there are no aliens on the rock because the colony had been there and didn't see anything, the argument is nonsense, and I think even Ripley could have easily seen the same, because one can argue that the colonists had not happened to investigate that particular site. But I think she couldn't because she was shocked upon hearing about the colony, which gave van Leuwen enough time to slink away. LOL.

In addition, as Burke demonstrated, it's wasn't difficult to find out if there was an alien ship on the rock, as it turns out the colonists included wildcatters (which should be the case as the company was engaged in both terraforming and mining) who would be interested in discovering such in exchange for a "full share," just like, ironically, the Nostromo crew.

Thus, we have a movie where the company behaves the same way throughout and manipulates people in various ways. We have the Nostromo crew, the Jordens, and Burke working for their "full share" or percentages, for resources owned by a government that works closely with a company, and that includes Marines that work for the same government. We have an Ash and a Bishop that work for human beings but also for the company. We have a Burke and a Gorman that work alone only for those who love cartoons but are part of large corporations (W-Y for one and the military for the other) which have not only "analysis teams" and groups going on "bug hunts" using "state-of-the-art firepower" to deal with special "situations" but also top brass in boards of inquiry eager to get information from the same blue-collar workers about finds but manipulate them in the process.

That's why the OP refers to the Reagan era, with a military industrial complex driving neoconservatism and a government working to deregulate to the advantage of corporations which drives neoliberalism. And then add to that gung-ho Marines metaphorically going against "alien" VC and getting their "assed kicked" in the process.

Quote from: Jonjamess on Jun 13, 2023, 03:04:30 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 13, 2023, 02:46:19 PM
Quote from: Jonjamess on Jun 13, 2023, 02:39:38 PMIt's explained clearly in the movie, they think she has psychological issues and PTSD because of whatever happened not because they think she went nuts and murdered the crew and then blew up the ship.

That's a good point.  I just suggested it to our AI friend and this is what it said:

Yes, it's entirely possible that the panel at the inquest may have considered Ripley's account as a distorted memory or psychological reaction to the trauma of being the sole survivor, rather than a deliberate act of deception or wrongdoing on her part. This is a common interpretation in cases where the survivor's account of events is considered too outlandish or implausible to be true.

Drawing a parallel with Yann Martel's "Life of Pi," it's possible the panel could have thought that Ripley's story about the alien creatures was a fantastical interpretation of the more mundane, albeit tragic, events that led to the demise of the Nostromo's crew.

This perspective might explain why they allowed Ripley to go free, instead of imprisoning her for allegedly killing her crew. They might have deemed her mentally unfit and in need of psychological help rather than criminal punishment.

However, we should remember that this is speculation and the film leaves much of the inquest's reasoning and decision-making process up to interpretation. The key point is that they did not fully believe Ripley's account of an alien creature causing the disaster.

That's what I meant, an AI came up with that?

They could have done anything they wanted, but there's still the landing location info. Unfortunately, Ripley didn't take advantage of that point, although it would have probably been futile because anyone who barged into the alien ship would have been infected, and the ones would could immediately investigate the site are the colonists.

Engineer

Engineer

PS. I asked our good friend ChatGPT if "word vomit" is a personal insult:

Quote"Word vomit" is not a personal insult. It is a slang term that refers to the words that come out of your mouth without any thought, often when you are drunk, embarrassed, angry, or given criticism in a social environment1. It is not intended to be an insult but rather a description of the situation.

So, therefore, based on this AI generated analysis, word vomit =/= ad hominem

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: oduodu on Jun 13, 2023, 03:42:14 PM
Quote from: Jonjamess on Jun 13, 2023, 02:39:38 PM

The company accepts that the ship detonated and the other crew were killed. Wether or not they accept Ripley's explanation that they were killed by an acid bleeding Alien or by a self destruction are two completely different things.

It's explained clearly in the movie, they think she has psychological issues and PTSD because of whatever happened not because they think she went nuts and murdered the crew and then blew up the ship.

Accidents must happen to vessels in deep space all the time. Surviving crew members (if any) must be confused, traumatised, have issues dealing with these incidents on a regular basis. People under stress (they've watched their entire crew die perhaps legitimately through a malfunction aboard the vessel or an explosion or whatever) tend to have a tenancy through no fault of their own to fabricate a story to deal with it. Perhaps they thought she couldn't deal with whatever legitimately went wrong and blames herself, so she's made up a story about a space monster! She was under psychiatric evaluation at the time after all so they would have been receiving reports from her doctor to substantiate their reasoning for not believing her.

They company agrees that the ship set down on LV-426. They are simply saying that they don't believe Ripley is talking sense from the trauma of whatever has happened and so they don't believe her Alien story. Again this is backed up by the fact they have had a colony on LV-426 for 20 years with no incident. Had they not had a colony there then perhaps they would have gone and investigated before accusing Ripley of not being of sound mind!

all good points. trying to say that i believe that it just points to something very bad or weird or out of the ordinary happening

BECAUSE

no sane person destroys a ship like that. why just not get of and leave. why was she alone?

something rather peculiar must have happened. as a member of the hearing i would have thought not even a crazy person would just did what she did.

i thought that was significanty glossed over.

Definitely. Why did she blow up the ship? Because she went crazy. Why did she go crazy? That's where one gets stuck, so one goes through the process in another way. What prompted her to blow up the ship? She claims something infested it and killed its crew, prompting her to blow up the ship. Where did this alien come from? She claims it came from a alien ship on a rock where they landed? Where is that landing site? It's indicated in the flight recorder. So let's check it out.

FWIW, even Ripley's lawyer would have probably done that, i.e., if she had one. But she didn't. Instead, she had one corporate rep (!) supporting her and who was also present in the inquiry, probably even representing the company in the board (!): Burke.

Ooops. So it looks like she did have the equivalent of a lawyer who did help her, but not in the way she would have wanted, and it was her former employer.

So, who in the board wouldn't care? Probably only the insurers, as they don't want to cover the loss even though Ripley can't pay. The feds? Not sure who they are. The ICC? Definitely, as they strongly dislike dangerous organisms passing through borders. The Colonial Admin? Definitely, as they own the rock where the alien ship was allegedly discovered, and their military would be more than interested in alien tech that could be weaponized. The company? Same, as it's strongly shown that they are very interested in monetizing finds.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: ralfy on Jun 14, 2023, 02:00:18 AMFrom the movie:

Which, again, isn't evidence of "taking orders". Bishop doesn't even say what he was planning to do -- Ripley says destroy them, he says Burke instructed him to keep them alive. If he complied with Ripley's request, would Bishop be under Ripley's control? Of course not.

Burke then reveals he was planning on smuggling the specimens, not declaring them legally, which he obviously didn't tell Bishop. He then changes his plan to smuggling embryos when Ripley says he'll report the specimens.

Also the same scene where he flat out says he didn't tell anybody else what he was doing when he sent the colonists to investigate the derelict because, if the ship did exist, he wanted exclusive rights.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I bet you got through to him this time.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

You know, the ignore button brings so much bliss... I haven't had to read any of Ralfy's tripe for days... I just see the aftermath of replies and ponder what it was today...maybe its a Bishop works for Burke kinda day... maybe WeYu is the government/illuminati, maybe it's just a "eVeRyOnE kNeW aBOut ThE dErElicT 'cAusE oF tHE NosTRomOs bLaCK bOX...SOMEONE ANSWER THIS" sorta vibe... ahh the possibilities 😂

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 14, 2023, 05:38:40 AMI bet you got through to him this time.

Only a few more posts and it'll be settled me thinks.

oduodu

oduodu

From the movie:

Quoted for truth

i think there was 2 lifeboats

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 14, 2023, 11:31:56 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 14, 2023, 05:38:40 AMI bet you got through to him this time.

lmfao

bishop is a piece of machinery governed by asimov s 3 robot laws.  his work is to do whatever he is programmed to do. as the property of wy he is applying his programming on a ship owned by his creators and programmers.  burke as an employee of wy might therefore be in a authorative position as per bishop s prigramming more than the marines. but he doesnt work for burke personally. hence he cannot do  something illegal even if ordered by burke .

Engineer

Engineer

😂

Quote from: oduodu on Jun 14, 2023, 01:21:33 PM

From the movie:

Quoted for truth

i think there was 2 lifeboats

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 14, 2023, 11:31:56 AM

lmfao

bishop is a piece of machinery governed by asimov s 3 robot laws.  his work is to do whatever he is programmed to do. as the property of wy he is applying his programming on a ship owned by his creators and programmers.  burke as an employee of wy might therefore be in a authorative position as per bishop s prigramming more than the marines. but he doesnt work for burke personally. hence he cannot do  something illegal even if ordered by burke .

Yes. There were two life boats.
But it doesn't matter... the second lifeboat was either missing or out of service. They never address this on-screen, and only refer to a singular shuttle, so the nostromo crew must have been well aware that they only had one functioning shuttle.

You can see the second shuttle on one of Martin Bower's original model drawings/schematics, so that concept of a second shuttle has been there from the start.

My personal head-canon: I like to believe weyland yutani was cheap, and cutting corners, by not servicing their space craft like normal. As a result, Brett and Parker had to scrap one of the shuttles for parts to keep the main ship flying.

Eal

Eal

Well, for the shuttle and some of the equipment and electrical systems I'd imagine that's actually the canon reason.

Now for things like the computers and stuff looking 'cheap' (like they were made in 1978, eh, eh? :b), the simplest explanation is just that it's an aesthetic design choice.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: caffeine4671 on Jun 14, 2023, 10:51:18 PMWell, for the shuttle and some of the equipment and electrical systems I'd imagine that's actually the canon reason.

Now for things like the computers and stuff looking 'cheap' (like they were made in 1978, eh, eh? :b), the simplest explanation is just that it's an aesthetic design choice.

It's a world very much like Blade Runner (if not the same world), where the digital revolution never happened, and analogue technology is still mainstream (so long as we disregard Prometheus and Covenant's retcon).

Eal

Eal

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jun 14, 2023, 11:26:22 PM
Quote from: caffeine4671 on Jun 14, 2023, 10:51:18 PMWell, for the shuttle and some of the equipment and electrical systems I'd imagine that's actually the canon reason.

It's a world very much like Blade Runner (if not the same world), where the digital revolution never happened, and analogue technology is still mainstream (so long as we disregard Prometheus and Covenant's retcon).

I was gonna go a bit further and state that although the displays are clearly 1970s CRT monitors disguised as futuristic displays,( and this can especially be seen in medium shots where they've attempted to frame-sync the monitors to the film cameras rate) whenever there's an insert of an extreme closeup, and they're only interested in the display screen, it's always impossibly-clear (for 1979's computer standards)resolution, to the point of almost resembling drawn animation (it was drawn after all). So I don't know if the analogue-punk should be taken too literally when dealing with Alien.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jun 14, 2023, 11:26:22 PM

Blade runner is its own universe. The timelines don't match up; blade runner's universe severely contradicts the timeline of the alien universe.

I don't think prometheus and covenant are really retcons just because they show more advanced tech than the previous films. I could easily see a company sticking with older tech on less important "tug boats" than a science vessel to save money. For example, I used to work in an applied research lab, and most of my equipment was analogue (my choice at the time) because it's cheaper and got the same job done as the digital stuff (plus, I know how to fix analogue equipment if it breaks). That being said, the real reason that alien has that low tech future is really just an artifact of the times when the film was made; I bet if ridley Scott re-made the film today, it would look more like prometheus and covenant did as far as the tech goes...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed