Aliens: An Analysis

Started by Scorpio, Jan 27, 2018, 02:12:52 AM

Author
Aliens: An Analysis (Read 49,570 times)

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Jonjamess on May 31, 2023, 07:50:54 PMPerhaps WY did have some information on LV-426 before the events of Alien. A tip off or a scan or they detected the beacon. Then perhaps they replaced the Science Officer on the Nostromo knowing it could be re-routed to investigate this signal. And I could even buy that the Special Order was uploaded by Ash or by WY prior to the Nostromo departing.

But the fact of the matter is nobody in that movie is communicating with anyone back at Earth, WY employees or not. They are 10 months out and wouldn't be able to get instantaneous communications back and forth. So it still stands the Special Order is automated and not the instructions of an individual communicating directly with the Nostromo. And it also still stands that WY very very likely had no idea what they were sending the ship to investigate. They likely had no idea it was acid bleeding facehuggers and alien eggs. The Special Order mentioning retrieval of the lifeform and the crew being expendable is likely just one of many "predicted" or "possible" events that WY either programs into all their vessels or as I mentioned was planted when they swapped the Science Officer.

This whole WY conspiracy thing just seems to be a fan need rather than an actual plot point. There is nothing in the movies that suggests WY know anything about the Xenomorph. In Alien all we see is a generic Special Order that literally just mentions lifeform (a generic term). We know Ash is swapped in so that's the only other suspicious link we have that WY is sinister. Bit that still doesn't prove at all they have any knowledge of Xenomorphs. Then Aliens its further made clear WY have no idea about Xenomorphs as they build a colony right next to the Derelict and its only when Ripley turns up 20 years later ONE single WY employee sends the colony to investigate. Why would they wait 20 years if they knew??? There's zero logic in that. The simple fact is none of them knew what happened on the Nostromo and none of them believe Ripley, only Burke takes a chance on her story being true and only him alone. Then Alien 3 all of a sudden they are interested in the Alien, but only because 85 has contacted them and told them there's one running around Fury and one in Ripley! And also that flight recorder data was transmitted.

WY literally don't try to find any Xenomorphs until the end of Alien 3. The entire events of the other movies they don't act! They dont act after the Nostromo is destroyed, they dont even know its location or thats its been on LV-426 otherwise they would have gone looking there! They dont act after they find Ripley and they dont believe her story. They build a colony right nextvto their apparently highly sought after Derelict and do NOTHING for 20 years! They only decide to act at the climax of Alien 3. This heavily implies they don't have prior knowledge of the Xenomorph.

FWIW, Burke was able to send a message to the colony to investigate a particular location, and one timeline indicates that it took a week from the time he sent that and the time the Jordens were sent out:

https://alientimeline.wordpress.com/2127-2179/

One problem is that it's assumed that one has to wait for a response before sending a message. Commonsensically, one can send many messages with or without the recipient responding. For some reason, the colony chose not to send anything about the Jordens, the facehuggers, etc. Either that or the company got all of the details and came up with the downed transmitter storyline not to alarm anyone who finds out about the mission. But that's pointless as well because they're sending an armed contingent and with Ripley, so it's obviously that the storyline doesn't hold water.

Oddly, Ripley's behavior doesn't show that, as she would have easily realized that something has gone wrong with the colony, which is why they need her help. She would have also suspected that Burke, representing the company, wants to retrieve alien tech and specimens, following what she realized from the first movie. Add to that her anger upon discovering that they had Bishop on board, which reminds her of Ash.

Even the Marines would have realized similar, and after reading Ripley's brief: they're not there on a rescue mission or even to even help the colony work on a downed transmitter but to help anyone who could retrieve alien stuff. The fact that they specialize in "bug hunts" also attests to that.

This view, that transmissions of reports without the need for acknowledgment from the recipient, also creates problems for the first movie. That is, a computer that's so sophisticated that it can navigate vessels while the crew is in hibernation could easily and automatically transmit reports on location, course, things like distress signals, to the company, government, etc., in the same way that various vehicles do today. That implies that the company and government would not have had to rely on Nostromo logs from the lifeboat but could have received the same while the events in the first movie were taking place, although delayed by a few days or weeks (probably longer if they didn't have outposts and relay stations that time, compared to what they had around five decades later, when the second movie took place).

Similarly, the company/gov't could have received reports from the Nostromo about the Jordens, the facehuggers, etc., automatically using colony computers, long before the transmitters go offline.

Finally, the idea of communicating with anyone on earth or in outposts, etc., can be seen in what happened in the third movie, where protagonists were communicating with the company/government via text messages. In any case, distance and human agency could be set aside if computers are able to communicate and send messages without waiting for responses.

oduodu

oduodu

what facinates me is how wy knew there was an organism on lv 426 without actually going to the surface and investigating. to me at least "crew expendable" seems to indicate that wy knew or suspected the organism was dangerous and (maybe) required a human host.  ripley does ask ash to return dallas and co after mother s analysis of the beacon signal indicated it to be a warning. would further analysis have made mother point to the existance of an organism.

who knows
ash is on record  from one of the earlier scripts that the signal was frighteningly specific when wy first analysed it.   however I don't know what ridley vs hill/giler actually wanted in the movie.
this might point to the initial knowledge of the organism. which is the question i wanted to know the answer to.

someone here mentioned ash damaging the ship. was this scripted somewhere as to why the crew was awakened?

SiL

SiL

They likely intercepted the transmission and translated enough to know there was something there to check out.

oduodu

oduodu

probably

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

The company knowing about a dangerous lifeform also doesn't mean they knew it was on Acheron precisely, they knew the star system that the warning transmission originated from however. Therefore it's entirely feasible that they knew some info about it, but not knowing the precise, exact whereabouts explains the establishment of the colony.

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: oduodu on Jun 01, 2023, 06:45:32 AMwhat facinates me is how wy knew there was an organism on lv 426 without actually going to the surface and investigating. to me at least "crew expendable" seems to indicate that wy knew or suspected the organism was dangerous and (maybe) required a human host.  ripley does ask ash to return dallas and co after mother s analysis of the beacon signal indicated it to be a warning. would further analysis have made mother point to the existance of an organism.

who knows
ash is on record  from one of the earlier scripts that the signal was frighteningly specific when wy first analysed it.  however I don't know what ridley vs hill/giler actually wanted in the movie.
this might point to the initial knowledge of the organism. which is the question i wanted to know the answer to.

someone here mentioned ash damaging the ship. was this scripted somewhere as to why the crew was awakened?

The policy was in place before any organism was found. My understanding is that it called for crews to investigate any phenomenon of interest and collect information on it, and if organisms are involved, collect them for company labs. Allowing for the crew to be expendable was likely based on cost-benefit views, similar to what has been happening in the real world.

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jun 01, 2023, 07:45:14 AMThe company knowing about a dangerous lifeform also doesn't mean they knew it was on Acheron precisely, they knew the star system that the warning transmission originated from however. Therefore it's entirely feasible that they knew some info about it, but not knowing the precise, exact whereabouts explains the establishment of the colony.

I think the storyline that they wanted to create was that the Nostromo sent no information to the company about the distress beacon, the alien ship and its passenger, the eggs, the facehugger, and the alien, and that limited information was stored in the logs only, mainly that the Nostromo landed on the rock, and then took off.

For some reason, however, Burke was able to get the location of the alien ship. To maintain the storyline that he acted alone, then that meant he was a very good guesser. It's either that or everyone in the room ignored the alien ship location (even Ripley) and that only Burke bothered to investigate.

There is one incident, however, where Ripley actually bothers to ask van Leuwen to check out the site to prove her story (although she does does it too late, after the case is closed), and he answers with a bewildering response: a colony has been there for decades, and they didn't encounter anything, so there's need to investigate. Even more bewildering is the point that she accepts the excuse, and likely because she didn't know all along that a colony was there, something that she would have known had she researched on the same case to defend herself. (That's why I pointed out earlier that he probably needed a lawyer.)

All of these would support the point that not only did the company not know it also didn't care, which is weird given the efforts it put in requiring personnel to investigate such phenomena, not to mention the context of the movie, where it is later revealed that there are even Marines who are tasked with "bug hunts" and encountered "Arcturians," etc.

Given that, a more logical narrative would be that the Nostromo did not send anything (which is why the company and government did terraforming on the planet, with the distress beacon no longer working) but at least the alien ship location was found in the ship logs that came with the lifeboat. The company did investigate the matter but made Burke the point man, which made it look to the viewer that he was acting alone, but as others like Ripley revealed, is acting in exchange for a percentage (which means he wasn't acting alone).

There are still character flaws, though, like Ripley not raising that information during the hearing, especially given the argument that it's the only evidence she has to prove her story.

Jonjamess

Jonjamess

Quote from: ralfy on Jun 02, 2023, 02:03:49 AM
Quote from: oduodu on Jun 01, 2023, 06:45:32 AMwhat facinates me is how wy knew there was an organism on lv 426 without actually going to the surface and investigating. to me at least "crew expendable" seems to indicate that wy knew or suspected the organism was dangerous and (maybe) required a human host.  ripley does ask ash to return dallas and co after mother s analysis of the beacon signal indicated it to be a warning. would further analysis have made mother point to the existance of an organism.

who knows
ash is on record  from one of the earlier scripts that the signal was frighteningly specific when wy first analysed it.  however I don't know what ridley vs hill/giler actually wanted in the movie.

The policy was in place before any organism was found. My understanding is that it called for crews to investigate any phenomenon of interest and collect information on it, and if organisms are involved, collect them for company labs. Allowing for the crew to be expendable was likely based on cost-benefit views, similar to what has been happening in the real world.

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jun 01, 2023, 07:45:14 AMThe company knowing about a dangerous lifeform also doesn't mean they knew it was on Acheron precisely, they knew the star system that the warning transmission originated from however. Therefore it's entirely feasible that they knew some info about it, but not knowing the precise, exact whereabouts explains the establishment of the colony.

I think the storyline that they wanted to create was that the Nostromo sent no information to the company about the distress beacon, the alien ship and its passenger, the eggs, the facehugger, and the alien, and that limited information was stored in the logs only, mainly that the Nostromo landed on the rock, and then took off.

For some reason, however, Burke was able to get the location of the alien ship. To maintain the storyline that he acted alone, then that meant he was a very good guesser. It's either that or everyone in the room ignored the alien ship location (even Ripley) and that only Burke bothered to investigate.

There is one incident, however, where Ripley actually bothers to ask van Leuwen to check out the site to prove her story (although she does does it too late, after the case is closed), and he answers with a bewildering response: a colony has been there for decades, and they didn't encounter anything, so there's need to investigate. Even more bewildering is the point that she accepts the excuse, and likely because she didn't know all along that a colony was there, something that she would have known had she researched on the same case to defend herself. (That's why I pointed out earlier that he probably needed a lawyer.)

All of these would support the point that not only did the company not know it also didn't care, which is weird given the efforts it put in requiring personnel to investigate such phenomena, not to mention the context of the movie, where it is later revealed that there are even Marines who are tasked with "bug hunts" and encountered "Arcturians," etc.

Given that, a more logical narrative would be that the Nostromo did not send anything (which is why the company and government did terraforming on the planet, with the distress beacon no longer working) but at least the alien ship location was found in the ship logs that came with the lifeboat. The company did investigate the matter but made Burke the point man, which made it look to the viewer that he was acting alone, but as others like Ripley revealed, is acting in exchange for a percentage (which means he wasn't acting alone).

There are still character flaws, though, like Ripley not raising that information during the hearing, especially given the argument that it's the only evidence she has to prove her story.

I agree with everything you say except Burke not acting alone. The percentage thing everyone is going on about does NOT mean he ISNT acting alone. All it means is that WY owns the colony and so has rights to the planet and so the Derelict. Meaning anything of value he discovers would have to he shared with them. Not even to mention a percentage with the Jordans had they survived as they initially made the discovery and its mentioned anything they find at those co-ordinates will essentially be theirs.

Still doesn't mean Burke isn't acting alone, he is.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Any further correspondence should be made to Cameron. Oh wait he already answered fan mail... 😁😜 —

"As scripted, they were given the general coordinates of its position by the manager of the colony, on orders from Carter Burke. It is not directly stated, but presumed, that Burke could only have gotten that information from Ripley or from the black-box flight recorder aboard the shuttle Narcissus, which accessed the Nostromo's on-board computer."

"Briggs' idea that the company had already discovered the derelict is therefore unnecessary and would invalidate Carter Burke's motives for attempting to bring back a sample of the organism for study, and using such drastic means to do it."

oduodu

oduodu

how would burke know if the company had pre knowledge of a dangerous organism 67 years after they (presumably) became aware of it or after settling the colony on hadley s hope  ?

Jonjamess

Jonjamess

Quote from: oduodu on Jun 02, 2023, 06:18:07 PMhow would burke know if the company had pre knowledge of a dangerous organism 67 years after they (presumably) became aware of it or after settling the colony on hadley s hope  ?

What do you mean? The movie Aliens insinuates that he doesn't think they have previous knowledge of the creature Ripley describes. Because they claim they don't believe Ripley, the have had a colony sitting next to the Derelict for 20 years and ignored it and the Company as a whole aren't interested in checking out Ripley's claims.

"Why don't you just go check out LV-426?"

"Because we don't have to, there's been people there for over 20 years and they never complained about a dangerous organism"

Obviously those are simplified quotes not like for like.

I'm not sure how much more evidence people need that Cameron's intentions were that Burke was acting alone out of pure financial greed and because he was clearly the only one who believed Ripley. WY was only made into thus sinister Xenomorph obsessed company in the EU stuff and perhaps to an extent at the climax of Alien 3. But before that they weren't obsessed with the Xenomorph at all and probably had no knowledge it existed. I understand the new TV series is very likely to retcon this but if we just consider the original quadrilogy on its own, Weyland Yutani really aren't that in the know about the Alien and they really aren't portrayed as desperate to get one.

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Jonjamess on Jun 02, 2023, 12:13:47 PM
Quote from: ralfy on Jun 02, 2023, 02:03:49 AM

who knows

I agree with everything you say except Burke not acting alone. The percentage thing everyone is going on about does NOT mean he ISNT acting alone. All it means is that WY owns the colony and so has rights to the planet and so the Derelict. Meaning anything of value he discovers would have to he shared with them. Not even to mention a percentage with the Jordans had they survived as they initially made the discovery and its mentioned anything they find at those co-ordinates will essentially be theirs.

Still doesn't mean Burke isn't acting alone, he is.

The only way for Burke to have acted alone involves the following:

Ripley and everyone in the board had access to the alien ship location, and yet it was only Burke who acted on the matter. This would have taken place even as both the company and the government had known about alien species like the Arcturians.

Only Burke had access to communications with the colony.

Burke had the ability to order the military to send with him an armed contingent specializing in "bug hunts," and the government, company, and even military wouldn't even care.

These are significant character flaws for company and government officials who appears to be part of monetization and weaponization, and has a history, together with the military, of encountering alien species.

Additional points:

What the Jordens find is not essentially theirs, and the same applies to Burke. All of them, together with the space truckers in the first movie, only get a percentage of profits. Almost everything goes to the company and the government. That makes acting alone pointless.

Bishop explains to Ripley that Burke instructed him to store the facehuggers to be sent to company labs. I think it's safe to say that those are W-Y company labs and not labs that Burke set up by himself.

Quote from: Jonjamess on Jun 02, 2023, 08:59:51 PM
Quote from: oduodu on Jun 02, 2023, 06:18:07 PMhow would burke know if the company had pre knowledge of a dangerous organism 67 years after they (presumably) became aware of it or after settling the colony on hadley s hope  ?

What do you mean? The movie Aliens insinuates that he doesn't think they have previous knowledge of the creature Ripley describes. Because they claim they don't believe Ripley, the have had a colony sitting next to the Derelict for 20 years and ignored it and the Company as a whole aren't interested in checking out Ripley's claims.

"Why don't you just go check out LV-426?"

"Because we don't have to, there's been people there for over 20 years and they never complained about a dangerous organism"

Obviously those are simplified quotes not like for like.

I'm not sure how much more evidence people need that Cameron's intentions were that Burke was acting alone out of pure financial greed and because he was clearly the only one who believed Ripley. WY was only made into thus sinister Xenomorph obsessed company in the EU stuff and perhaps to an extent at the climax of Alien 3. But before that they weren't obsessed with the Xenomorph at all and probably had no knowledge it existed. I understand the new TV series is very likely to retcon this but if we just consider the original quadrilogy on its own, Weyland Yutani really aren't that in the know about the Alien and they really aren't portrayed as desperate to get one.

There's too much content in both movies to show that Burke didn't act alone, and more than enough in the first movie alone to show that the WY is a "sinister" company, not to mention that it looks ridiculous for the company, government, military, and even Ripley not to care: percentages, bioweapons, company labs, Arcturians, bug hunts, Ripley not knowing that there was a colony on the rock until she found out accidentally from van Leuwen after she is penalized, and so on.

The whole narrative would have fallen apart at the onset had Ripley required the board to investigate the alien ship location because it's the only piece of evidence she has to prove her case and thus avoid penalties, and even a law student would have dismissed van Leuwen's claims about a colony being there and seeing nothing. If any, excuses not to find out were clearly negated by Burke, who easily contacted the colony, who in turn easily went to the location because it had enough wildcatters eager to get a percentage of what's monetized.

Apparently, greed applies to almost everyone in the movie, including not only Burke but even Parker from the first movie.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

ChatGPT is warming up.

SiL

SiL

The movies show us that greed drives unethical behaviour that is willing to endanger the lives of people for potential profit.

They don't show us top down Company wide conspiracies where the official policy seems to be "f**k it, just kill people why not. Let's set up a colony just to murder."

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Ok puts on 'nerd cap' 😂 —

Keep in mind that when Hudson questions whether the operation will be another stand up fight or another "bug-hunt", bug-hunt can just be a term that pertains to sweep-and-clear operations without clear objectives. It's a play on "snipe hunt," a term that can be used to describe a purposeless task. It's possible they have encountered foreign fauna before but bug hunt doesn't necessarily mean literal bugs.

Also Burke is just following standard procedure, he has confirmation and live specimens that are valuable assets for the company labs, prior he wasn't certain there'd be more than a downed transmitter. As far as I can recall, the United Americas Allied Command, which the USCM are a part, wouldn't need Burke's permission to formally investigate lost contact of a colony, why would they? The Colonial Marine Corps' key responsibilities include serving as the forerunner in any significant war operation and maintaining security for all signatories of the United Americas as well as at all extraterrestrial colonies that are under its jurisdiction.¹

1 Aliens: Colonial Marines Technical Manual

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed