Godzilla
101 (75.4%)
King Kong
25 (18.7%)
I don't know?
8 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author
The GODZILLA thread (Read 2,524,121 times)

SiL

SiL

When have Godzilla or Kong ever been about anyone tearing anything apart in bloody and gory fashion?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Godzilla's movies got very bloody for a while in the 70s but that's only maybe four of the zillion they've made.

SiL

SiL

A couple of sprays but nothing crazy.

nanison

nanison

Quote from: SiL on Nov 13, 2022, 04:30:40 AMWhen have Godzilla or Kong ever been about anyone tearing anything apart in bloody and gory fashion?

Never of course so it is about time someone makes one like that.

King kong films have been more brutal and scary, I prefer him

Shout out to shin, gojira and Edwards Godzilla though

SiL

SiL

Why? It would be completely inappropriate to the tone and style of the movies and their intended audiences.

nanison

nanison

Quote from: SiL on Nov 13, 2022, 08:48:25 PMWhy? It would be completely inappropriate to the tone and style of the movies and their intended audiences.

It is not because it are giant monsters that it automatically needs to be kid friendly imo
The style difference between Gojira and the 70s godzilla films is gigantic!

In the end most franchises become vehicles for kids because that is where the money is earned.

SiL

SiL

I didn't say giant monsters need to be kid friendly. I didn't mention kids at all.

Not all adults want their giant monsters tearing each other open either.

This is just wanting a PG AvP movie in reverse, and just as bad an idea.

nanison

nanison

Personally I don't see why a franchise's tone or style can't be altered but yeah lets just disagree then  ;D

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Honestly if Godzilla should appeal to anyone it should be kids. That doesn't mean you talk down to them or exclude adults (even the 1969-1975 films are earnest and played straight) but an edgy grimdark version with a hard R-rating would be beside the point. Even Shin doesn't get that bad.

nanison

nanison

Every giant monster or dinosaur movie from the 1950s onwards has been ailed at kids/young teenagers. This is why they never get bloody, gory or overtly scary.
Imo it would be refreshing to see either an existing or a new IP throws the core audience overboard and make something with a different for the genre.

Kailem

Kailem

Hell yeah, the Gigabash Godzilla DLC is out early! ;D

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Gilfryd on Nov 17, 2022, 02:13:37 AMHonestly if Godzilla should appeal to anyone it should be kids. That doesn't mean you talk down to them or exclude adults (even the 1969-1975 films are earnest and played straight) but an edgy grimdark version with a hard R-rating would be beside the point. Even Shin doesn't get that bad.

Of course, its important to remember the very first Godzilla movie in 1954 was a very serious and grim movie, it certainly wasn't targeted to kids with its somber depiction of massive destruction and casualties, not to mention the tragic sacrifice of one its main character to stop Godzilla's rampage. Its only later in the subsequent sequels in the Showa era (60's to 70s) that it became kid-friendly, when the producers made a more concerted effort to focus on kids as their target audience.

Speaking of Showa era Godzilla films, some of them became way too...trippy. I mean, 1971's "Godzilla vs. Hedorah" has this weird psychedelic vib that makes you wonder if the director was on acid when he directed the movie.

The Heisei era (1985 to 1995) of Godzilla movies struck the right balance I think, when Godzilla was returned to its original role as a destructive "force of nature", yet the films wasn't so dark as to prevent  kids from seeing and enjoying it. That way, adults don't have to be embarrassed by watching a "silly man in rubber suit" movie thanks to the more mature take on Godzilla, yet at the same time, he or she can bring their kids along to enjoy the film as well.

Quote from: nanison on Nov 17, 2022, 01:33:59 PMEvery giant monster or dinosaur movie from the 1950s onwards has been ailed at kids/young teenagers.

Well, there was 2008's "Cloverfield". The found footage movie featuring a giant monster. It isn't excessively gory or bloody...but it is PG-13, so it would exclude the younger kiddies.

Stitch

Stitch

To be honest, I think the Heisei era was the best. Though GMK comes close.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

I agree. While I haven't seen every Godzilla film, Heisei tends to be my favorite in terms of quality.
GMK is easily in my top 5 (maybe even top 3) favorites though.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Heisei is mixed for me. 84, Biollante (parts of it, at least), Mechagodzilla, and Destroyah all hold up pretty well. King Ghidorah is fun but stupid as f**k, Mothra is meh, and Space Godzilla is f**king awful. But it has a better track record for me than the Millenium era, at least.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed