Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 162,963 times)

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: SiL on Aug 22, 2022, 08:26:50 PM
Quote from: oduodu on Aug 22, 2022, 08:17:51 PM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 22, 2022, 07:59:57 PM
Quote from: oduodu on Aug 22, 2022, 02:01:51 PMso you say your cool with naru? she is a warrior? she is what a predator would consider at the top of the warrior chain?  worthy of a hunt?
I'm sorry, but did you watch the movie? He didn't consider her worth his time until she shot him in the back of the head. She had a whole monologue about how he didn't take her seriously as a threat.

no i havent seen the movie.

i want to know if the movie sits ok with pred fans. basically then she lived because of her incompetence and pred just ignored her because she was a woman? because she got tangled in a bear trap? the pred gave her an opening to kill it because it honoired her  as a woman? saves her life allow her to live? so then this pred actuallybhas an honoir system and because of this she isb allowed to get close to him with a gun?

ok....
What?

I honestly can't follow what you're trying to say. Maybe wait until you've seen the film before trying to discuss it with people, because the conclusions you're jumping to are very bizarre and have nothing to do with the actual movie.

He doesn't "honour" her, he thinks she's not worth killing because every time he encounters her she's tied up and he  doesn't see her demonstrate she's a threat (The audience does, he doesn't).

ok

Quote from: Cougerboy on Aug 23, 2022, 12:42:49 AM
Quote from: oduodu on Aug 22, 2022, 02:01:51 PMso you say your cool with naru? she is a warrior? she is what a predator would consider at the top of the warrior chain?  worthy of a hunt?
I'm sorry, but did you watch the movie? He didn't consider her worth his time until she shot him in the back of the head. She had a whole monologue about how he didn't take her seriously as a threat.

i want to know if the movie sits ok with pred fans. basically then she lived because of her incompetence and pred just ignored her because she was a woman? because she got tangled in a bear trap? the pred gave her an opening to kill it because it honoired her  as a woman? saves her life allow her to live? so then this pred actuallybhas an honoir system and because of this she isb allowed to get close to him with a gun?

ok....
What?

I honestly can't follow what you're trying to say. Maybe wait until you've seen the film before trying to discuss it with people, because the conclusions you're jumping to are very bizarre and have nothing to do with the actual movie.

He doesn't "honour" her, he thinks she's not worth killing because every time he encounters her she's tied up and he  doesn't see her demonstrate she's a threat (The audience does, he doesn't).

Its weird. He goes on these rants about "Prey" without actually having seen it. Having already decided whether a film is good or bad without watching it is a BIG red flag fo me. Clearly he has no interest in judging the movie honestly on its merits (or lack thereof). I think we should stop wasting time responding to his posts.

Quote from: St_Eddie on Aug 23, 2022, 12:27:28 AM
Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Aug 23, 2022, 12:03:32 AMI pretty much agree with you, I just don't find it particularly egregious or that it ruins the movie for me or anything tbh.

That's fair enough.  I don't think that it ruins the movie either.  I just think that it's an indefensibly illogical scene.

There are plenty of illogical scenes and leaps of logic in the entire Predator franchise. "Prey" isn't actually the worst in this regard, in my humble opinion.

not sure what you mean by rant. its gonna be a while before i am able to see the movie. i just want peoples honest opinion about the movie. and if the fans who has the franchise at heart agrees and likes the movie and why.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: oduodu on Aug 23, 2022, 05:05:29 AM

ok....
What?

ok

Quote from: Cougerboy on Aug 23, 2022, 12:42:49 AM

ok....
What?

Its weird. He goes on these rants about "Prey" without actually having seen it. Having already decided whether a film is good or bad without watching it is a BIG red flag fo me. Clearly he has no interest in judging the movie honestly on its merits (or lack thereof). I think we should stop wasting time responding to his posts.

Quote from: St_Eddie on Aug 23, 2022, 12:27:28 AM
Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Aug 23, 2022, 12:03:32 AMI pretty much agree with you, I just don't find it particularly egregious or that it ruins the movie for me or anything tbh.

That's fair enough.  I don't think that it ruins the movie either.  I just think that it's an indefensibly illogical scene.

There are plenty of illogical scenes and leaps of logic in the entire Predator franchise. "Prey" isn't actually the worst in this regard, in my humble opinion.

not sure what you mean by rant. its gonna be a while before i am able to see the movie. i just want peoples honest opinion about the movie. and if the fans who has the franchise at heart agrees and likes the movie and why.

People here have already given their thoughts on this thread. This is page 74 of the thread if you didn't realize. You can agree or disagree with their take. But to constantly question positive reviews of "Prey" after 74 pages of reviews...clearly you either have reading comprehension problems or you have a real problem with the positive reviews of "Prey" because of... what exactly? Well, that's on you.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Come on folk, let's not get personal about anything here. Please remember we're all supposed to be adults and I expect everyone to act as such.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: oduodu on Aug 23, 2022, 05:05:29 AMnot sure what you mean by rant. its gonna be a while before i am able to see the movie. i just want peoples honest opinion about the movie. and if the fans who has the franchise at heart agrees and likes the movie and why.
That's fair, just keep in mind when discussing things like how the main character plays out you really will need to watch the film to draw your own conclusion. There are valid points either side but it's not a good idea to even try to imagine how it plays out just based on feedback.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: St_Eddie on Aug 22, 2022, 11:29:15 PMIt's a ridiculous moment in the film and I can't fathom why people are making excuses for it.  It's just bad writing.  Yes, it's clear that the director wants the audience to understand that Naru figures out that the predator tracks its prey by heat (mainly because he has Naru speak out loud to say "the herb - he can't see him because of the herb" - which is egregious in of itself, given that she's unnecessarily speaking out loud to herself, mere feet from the predator) but he doesn't provide an in-universe explanation for why Naru reaches such a conclusion above the infinitely more obvious answer of "Raphael is playing dead".  All that the director had to do was drop the whole playing possum aspect and have Naru witness the predator not reacting to Raphael stood on the spot, frozen in terror.  That would have made sense, but the way that it's portrayed in the movie doesn't make sense at any level.

Whilst the point has merit, Naru has already witnessed feral bullseye them both in the long grass from a hundred meters, but yes there's quite a bit of exposition, more than likely for non-predator fans.

Personally I liked the bait and switch for the mud. Little touches like that are neat, when you think ah here we go again but the Director deliberately flips the script.

SiL

SiL

Dutch has no idea why the Predator can't see him, but we all buy that it's the mud and move on with our lives.

It's really no different. She gives the guy the drug and suddenly the Predator doesn't notice him and she relates the two. We really do not need to dwell on her undergoing process of elimination to rule out the specific thing for the pedants in the audience.

It's not lazy writing at all.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 23, 2022, 07:51:06 AMCome on folk, let's not get personal about anything here. Please remember we're all supposed to be adults and I expect everyone to act as such.

I noticed you had to step in more frequently lately. Is it always like that when the new movie comes out ?

SiL

SiL

This is tame.

Billiken

Billiken

I'm still waiting for the 4 hour podcast lol

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Billiken on Aug 23, 2022, 09:54:22 AMI'm still waiting for the 4 hour podcast lol

Only 4 of us so it's looking like 2 and a half hours. I'm on the final stretch of my first pass of it.

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 23, 2022, 09:36:14 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 23, 2022, 07:51:06 AMCome on folk, let's not get personal about anything here. Please remember we're all supposed to be adults and I expect everyone to act as such.

I noticed you had to step in more frequently lately. Is it always like that when the new movie comes out ?

To be fair, the community here is generally more mature than it was back in the AvP/Predators age so it's not particularly bad here currently. Facebook is proving harder but it is what it is.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cougerboy on Aug 23, 2022, 12:42:49 AMThere are plenty of illogical scenes and leaps of logic in the entire Predator franchise. "Prey" isn't actually the worst in this regard, in my humble opinion.

Saying that there are plenty of illogical scenes and leaps of logic in other Predator movies is a whataboutism; it's a deflection from the scene being discussed in this instance.  Whether or not it's the most illogical scene in any Predator movie is utterly irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Quote from: SiL on Aug 23, 2022, 09:19:30 AMDutch has no idea why the Predator can't see him, but we all buy that it's the mud and move on with our lives.

It's really no different. She gives the guy the drug and suddenly the Predator doesn't notice him and she relates the two. We really do not need to dwell on her undergoing process of elimination to rule out the specific thing for the pedants in the audience.

It's not lazy writing at all.

It's a fallacy to say that there's no difference between the mud scene with Dutch in the original movie and the scene with Raphael in Prey.  It's also yet another whataboutism, it ought to be noted and people only ever invoke whataboutisms when they are unable to adequately explain away the criticism being put forth - "Well, this other movie had a leap of logic as well, so that (somehow?) excuses this movie's leap of logic".

For the record; Dutch climbs up from the shore and backs into some branches, the predator approaches and looks right at him but doesn't react.  The predator then shoots a small creature and moves on.  Dutch is puzzled; "Why was the creature which was chasing me and trying to kill me mere minutes ago not able to see me now?!  What has changed about me from mere minutes ago to right now?"  He looks down at his body and sees that he's coated in cold mud and comes to the conclusion that the mud has resulted in the predator being unable to see him.  It's a reasonable conclusion for Dutch to arrive at.  It's not at all the same as Naru jumping to the conclusion she jumps to, when there's an infinitely more reasonable explanation of "he's playing possum".

Billiken

Billiken

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 23, 2022, 10:11:35 AM
Quote from: Billiken on Aug 23, 2022, 09:54:22 AMI'm still waiting for the 4 hour podcast lol

Only 4 of us so it's looking like 2 and a half hours. I'm on the final stretch of my first pass of it.

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 23, 2022, 09:36:14 AM

To be fair, the community here is generally more mature than it was back in the AvP/Predators age so it's not particularly bad here currently. Facebook is proving harder but it is what it is.

I was part of Aliens and Predator universe on Facebook and people would get personal if you didn't agree with them so I left

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: St_Eddie on Aug 23, 2022, 10:40:05 AM
Quote from: Cougerboy on Aug 23, 2022, 12:42:49 AMThere are plenty of illogical scenes and leaps of logic in the entire Predator franchise. "Prey" isn't actually the worst in this regard, in my humble opinion.

Saying that there are plenty of illogical scenes and leaps of logic in other Predator movies is a whataboutism; it's a deflection from the scene being discussed in this instance.  Whether or not it's the most illogical scene in any Predator movie is utterly irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

No, that's completely wrong. If you want to talk about logical fallacies or leaps of logic in Prey, you have to take the entire Predator franchise into context. Otherwise that creates the (erroneous) impression that Prey is somehow especially bad in logical issues, which it is NOT.

You need to judge the film fairly, and to do so, you need to factor in the whole Predator franchise, period.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cougerboy on Aug 23, 2022, 11:12:57 AMNo, that's completely wrong. If you want to talk about logical fallacies or leaps of logic in Prey, you have to take the entire Predator franchise into context.

One absolute does not need to take the entire franchise into consideration when discussing the narrative issues of Prey.  This is a sub-forum and thread relating specifically to Prey, not the wider series of movies.  Where were you (and others like you) for Shane Black's The Predator?  How many people were invoking whataboutisms for that movie and saying "You're claiming this specific scene in The Predator or the autism subplot is illogical but the series as a whole is full of illogical moments, so therefore your argument is not valid".  You're being selective and trying to deflect valid criticism of a movie which you personally like and it's overly defensive, disingenuous, hypocritical hogwash.

By your own logic, literally no criticism of any franchise movie is valid, just as long as another movie within that same franchise was guilty of committing that same narrative sin.  That's a ridiculous stance to take.  It's perfectly possible for more than one movie within a franchise to be guilty of the same narrative sin.  Two separate instances of a similar narrative flaw do not cancel each other out and make that flaw null and void.

Quote from: Cougerboy on Aug 23, 2022, 11:12:57 AMOtherwise that creates the (erroneous) impression that Prey is somehow especially bag in logical issues, which it is NOT.

How am giving that impression at all?!  When did I claim that Prey is guilty of having the most egregious of logical issues from all of the Predator movies?  For the record, I consider The Predator to contain the worst issues out of the entire series by far, but we're not talking about that movie.  This is a thread for people to specifically discuss Prey, therefore that's the movie which I am discussing.  The logic issues of the other movies within the series are utterly irrelevant to the specific issue which I am discussing in Prey.

Furthermore, I've already explained why the whataboutism of Dutch with the mud is not comparable to the scene with Raphael in Prey, so I'll already dismantled that comparison, though I really should not have had to do so.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: St_Eddie on Aug 23, 2022, 11:16:29 AM
Quote from: Cougerboy on Aug 23, 2022, 11:12:57 AMNo, that's completely wrong. If you want to talk about logical fallacies or leaps of logic in Prey, you have to take the entire Predator franchise into context. Otherwise that creates the (erroneous) impression that Prey is somehow especially bag in logical issues, which it is NOT.

One absolute does not need to take the entire franchise into consideration when discussing the narrative issues of Prey.  This is a sub-forum and thread relating specifically to Prey, not the wider series of movies.  Where were you (and others like you) for Shane Black's The Predator?  How many people were invoking whataboutisms for that movie and saying "You're claiming this specific scene in The Predator or the autism subplot is illogical but the series as a whole is full of illogical moments, so therefore your argument is not valid".  It's hogwash.

I avoided that whole nonsense because that wasn't getting anywhere, was it? Just because I didn't post non-stop doesn't mean I wasn't aware of all those nasty little debates that went on here in the past. 

A sub-forum of Prey does NOT mean you cannot talk about the entire Predator franchise. A judge does not judge a case in isolation but references to similiar cases to weigh a case. Saying its "hogwash" is just avoiding the point.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed