7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 162,848 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Probably your best review to date. Superbly written.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Good review, Hicks!

Feels nice to have so much excitement and satisfaction over a Predator movie again.

Looking forward to the podcast review!

SiL

SiL

Quote from: oduodu on Aug 22, 2022, 02:01:51 PMso you say your cool with naru? she is a warrior? she is what a predator would consider at the top of the warrior chain?  worthy of a hunt?
I'm sorry, but did you watch the movie? He didn't consider her worth his time until she shot him in the back of the head. She had a whole monologue about how he didn't take her seriously as a threat.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 22, 2022, 02:28:36 PMThe fire helps blocks her out, that's why she stands so close to it, and he's distracted by the guy with a firearm.

You want to explain how this girl from the 1700s knows how thermal vision works?

Quote from: SiL on Aug 22, 2022, 07:59:57 PM
Quote from: oduodu on Aug 22, 2022, 02:01:51 PMso you say your cool with naru? she is a warrior? she is what a predator would consider at the top of the warrior chain?  worthy of a hunt?
I'm sorry, but did you watch the movie? He didn't consider her worth his time until she shot him in the back of the head. She had a whole monologue about how he didn't take her seriously as a threat.

We saw the pred chase her into the French camp.

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Aug 22, 2022, 03:43:26 PMYeah I feel like it was half n half the fire and the flower.

But also seems like they were trying to play up on the element/theme that the Predator doesn't consider her a threat, played up more with the mini-monologue that she gives during the scene.

Voodoo made a good point in his review about the Predator constantly using her as a way to find better "predators" as it sees her as the "prey". Like the rabbit to the wolf.

I think the scene is definitely playing more on the literal interpretation (it just not seeing her) than the thematic interpretation, but the thematic thing is still partially there for sure.

This is exactly how I saw it on my first viewing, and why I think it worked so well for me. The movie hit a lot of the right points in very subtle imagery that most people won't catch on first or second viewings. I didn't even notice Feral cutting off a few strands of her hair after he decapitates the French Trapper she uses as bait until my 3rd viewing. First two were in a theater so it was kinda hard to catch the whole screen at times. But there are some very quick camera movements/shots that establish her as a worthy tracker, hunter, and observer that help tell the story visually instead of explaining it to us.

oduodu

oduodu

no i havent seen the movie.

i want to know if the movie sits ok with pred fans. basically then she lived because of her incompetence and pred just ignored her because she was a woman? because she got tangled in a bear trap? the pred gave her an opening to kill it because it honoired her  as a woman? saves her life allow her to live? so then this pred actuallybhas an honoir system and because of this she isb allowed to get close to him with a gun?

ok....

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Aug 22, 2022, 08:04:17 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 22, 2022, 02:28:36 PMThe fire helps blocks her out, that's why she stands so close to it, and he's distracted by the guy with a firearm.

You want to explain how this girl from the 1700s knows how thermal vision works?

This has been explained by other people in the thread that it's not her understanding that the Predator sees thermal vision specifically, it's more that she recognizes that the Predator doesn't see Raphael after giving him the flower. She just puts two and two together based on what she saw, that it just plainly doesn't see/attack him period, thermal vision or heat doesn't even factor into the equation for her.

Now, granted, I do agree with some points others have made that this is a bit sloppily done, and kinda leans on the audience having knowledge that Naru doesn't. It could be more interpreted from an outside perspective that the Predator doesn't see Raphael because he's playing possum. But it's pretty clear what the film is going for, and I don't think it's suggesting that she all of the sudden knows what heat signatures are and that the Predator can see them.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: oduodu on Aug 22, 2022, 08:17:51 PM

i want to know if the movie sits ok with pred fans. basically then she lived because of her incompetence and pred just ignored her because she was a woman? because she got tangled in a bear trap? the pred gave her an opening to kill it because it honoired her  as a woman? saves her life allow her to live? so then this pred actuallybhas an honoir system and because of this she isb allowed to get close to him with a gun?

ok....
What?

I honestly can't follow what you're trying to say. Maybe wait until you've seen the film before trying to discuss it with people, because the conclusions you're jumping to are very bizarre and have nothing to do with the actual movie.

He doesn't "honour" her, he thinks she's not worth killing because every time he encounters her she's tied up and he  doesn't see her demonstrate she's a threat (The audience does, he doesn't).

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Just watch the movie then come back.

Kradan

Kradan

It's the secoñd coming of Hubbs !

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Aug 22, 2022, 08:25:32 PMThis has been explained by other people in the thread that it's not her understanding that the Predator sees thermal vision specifically, it's more that she recognizes that the Predator doesn't see Raphael after giving him the flower. She just puts two and two together based on what she saw, that it just plainly doesn't see/attack him period, thermal vision or heat doesn't even factor into the equation for her.

Now, granted, I do agree with some points others have made that this is a bit sloppily done, and kinda leans on the audience having knowledge that Naru doesn't. It could be more interpreted from an outside perspective that the Predator doesn't see Raphael because he's playing possum. But it's pretty clear what the film is going for, and I don't think it's suggesting that she all of the sudden knows what heat signatures are and that the Predator can see them.

It's more than sloppily handled; it's utterly nonsensical.  Firstly, Naru isn't even looking at Raphael and the predator for the vast majority of that scene; she's hiding behind a tree, with her back to the two of them.  Yet, she reacts as though she's intently watching every move the predator is making and what Raphael is doing, almost as though she's seeing what the audience are seeing.

Secondly, as you say, why wouldn't she just assume that the predator couldn't see that Raphael was alive because he was playing possum?  There are a bunch of dead bodies at that location and Raphael is pretending to play dead.  He literally looks indistinguishable from the dead bodies which surround him, so why in a million years would Naru jump to the conclusion that the predator sees exclusively through heat signatures?  She jumps to that conclusion because the audience knows that the predator tracks its prey through heat signatures because they've watched the prior movies.

As you correctly stated; the entire scene almost relies exclusively on the audience's knowledge of the predator from previous movies.  It doesn't take what the character's knowledge or perspective would be into consideration at all.

It's a ridiculous moment in the film and I can't fathom why people are making excuses for it.  It's just bad writing.  Yes, it's clear that the director wants the audience to understand that Naru figures out that the predator tracks its prey by heat (mainly because he has Naru speak out loud to say "the herb - he can't see him because of the herb" - which is egregious in of itself, given that she's unnecessarily speaking out loud to herself, mere feet from the predator) but he doesn't provide an in-universe explanation for why Naru reaches such a conclusion above the infinitely more obvious answer of "Raphael is playing dead".  All that the director had to do was drop the whole playing possum aspect and have Naru witness the predator not reacting to Raphael stood on the spot, frozen in terror.  That would have made sense, but the way that it's portrayed in the movie doesn't make sense at any level.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

I pretty much agree with you, I just don't find it particularly egregious or that it ruins the movie for me or anything tbh.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Aug 23, 2022, 12:03:32 AMI pretty much agree with you, I just don't find it particularly egregious or that it ruins the movie for me or anything tbh.

That's fair enough.  I don't think that it ruins the movie either.  I just think that it's an indefensibly illogical scene.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: SiL on Aug 22, 2022, 08:26:50 PM
Quote from: oduodu on Aug 22, 2022, 08:17:51 PM

ok....
What?

I honestly can't follow what you're trying to say. Maybe wait until you've seen the film before trying to discuss it with people, because the conclusions you're jumping to are very bizarre and have nothing to do with the actual movie.

He doesn't "honour" her, he thinks she's not worth killing because every time he encounters her she's tied up and he  doesn't see her demonstrate she's a threat (The audience does, he doesn't).

Its weird. He goes on these rants about "Prey" without actually having seen it. Having already decided whether a film is good or bad without watching it is a BIG red flag fo me. Clearly he has no interest in judging the movie honestly on its merits (or lack thereof). I think we should stop wasting time responding to his posts.

Quote from: St_Eddie on Aug 23, 2022, 12:27:28 AM
Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Aug 23, 2022, 12:03:32 AMI pretty much agree with you, I just don't find it particularly egregious or that it ruins the movie for me or anything tbh.

That's fair enough.  I don't think that it ruins the movie either.  I just think that it's an indefensibly illogical scene.

There are plenty of illogical scenes and leaps of logic in the entire Predator franchise. "Prey" isn't actually the worst in this regard, in my humble opinion.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed