Hated it! (0/5)
7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 162,785 times)

Sol

Sol

Quote from: Kurai on Aug 07, 2022, 03:30:40 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 07, 2022, 03:26:43 PMHe didn't see the french guy, he only killed him when he revealed himself.

He literally did though... Even in the Pred-Vision scenes WE see him.
And again, NONE of that matters, because why would Naru have any reason to assume he only sees heat? From Naru's perspective, the Predator stops over a corpse and waits to see if it moves... Nothing else. She has no reason at all to assume he only sees heat.

You are missing the whole thing, here. The Pred sees body heat, which is an indication of LIFE. Pred isn't going around stabbing cold dead people, with cold being an indication of DEATH.

Naru knows her meds COOL the body. That's its literal purpose.

She saw the Pred, whom she witness kill scores of men, a bear, etc without hesitation, but didnt't attack the man laying there on the ground, who he was obviously tailed from that trap site to finish the job. It was clear to her, the meds that she JUST gave him, had something to do with it.

What are you not seeing here?

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

I feel like it could have been explored a bit more, but the movie does an okay job at the infrared reveal

BIOROBOT

BIOROBOT

How did Dutch deduce that the predator sees in heat vision. Being covered in mud doesn't automatically tell someone that whatever is hunting them only sees in an infrared spectrum. For all Dutch knew for whatever reason the mud made him less detectable to the predator. Same with Naru and her flower. All she knew is that for whatever reason when someone has eaten the cooling flower, a flower that she literally says "cools the blood" the predator has trouble detecting them. It's as much of a stretch as Dutch in the mud. It's a fictional device and nothing more.

Kurai

Kurai

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 07, 2022, 03:33:32 PMYeah they see the outline of Dutch when he's covered in mud too. The point is that he doesn't see the heat signature.

Feral steps over the body and looks around like there isn't anything to see, but when the man moves he gets killed.

I was fine with her seeing the connection between the two. Just feels like people are desperate to find a way to rip this film any way they can.

What? Why on Earth do you think I'm trying to rip the film apart? I never mentioned anything like that and have previously in this thread rated it 7/10.
I rewatched it and the part interested me because it was a leap that made no sense to me.
I understand if you're happy just assuming that she put two and two together to get 25, but I prefer it to add up to four.

My point is not that YOU know the Predator has heat vision. It isn't that I know the Predator has heat vision. It isn't that the Predator does indeed have heatvision.
It's that Naru has no reason to know it has heat vision.
Again, if you think it's telegraphed fine, great. It just isn't for me.

Sol

Sol

Quote from: Kurai on Aug 07, 2022, 03:41:06 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 07, 2022, 03:33:32 PMYeah they see the outline of Dutch when he's covered in mud too. The point is that he doesn't see the heat signature.

Feral steps over the body and looks around like there isn't anything to see, but when the man moves he gets killed.

I was fine with her seeing the connection between the two. Just feels like people are desperate to find a way to rip this film any way they can.

What? Why on Earth do you think I'm trying to rip the film apart? I never mentioned anything like that and have previously in this thread rated it 7/10.
I rewatched it and the part interested me because it was a leap that made no sense to me.
I understand if you're happy just assuming that she put two and two together to get 25, but I prefer it to add up to four.

My point is not that YOU know the Predator has heat vision. It isn't that I know the Predator has heat vision. It isn't that the Predator does indeed have heatvision.
It's that Naru has no reason to know it has heat vision.
Again, if you think it's telegraphed fine, great. It just isn't for me.

She didnt figure out Pred had heat vision. She found out Pred couldnt see him. That's it. Maybe that's why you are struggling here. You think she figured out something that she didnt. She solved the parts of the puzzle needed to fight against him. That's it.

This is real simple storytelling here.

BIOROBOT

BIOROBOT

That's a fine gripe to have and all but the equivalent logical leap was also made in Predator concerning the heat vision.

The only minor issue I have is I think they should have muddied up Ferals heat vision resolution a little bit more to make it seem older quality than say the resolution of the hear vision in Predator 87.

Kurai

Kurai

Quote from: BIOROBOT on Aug 07, 2022, 03:39:38 PMHow did Dutch deduce that the predator sees in heat vision. Being covered in mud doesn't automatically tell someone that whatever is hunting them only sees in an infrared spectrum. For all Dutch knew for whatever reason the mud made him less detectable to the predator. Same with Naru and her flower. All she knew is that for whatever reason when someone has eaten the cooling flower, a flower that she literally says "cools the blood" the predator has trouble detecting them. It's as much of a stretch as Dutch in the mud. It's a fictional device and nothing more.

Quote from: Sol on Aug 07, 2022, 03:43:20 PMShe didnt figure out Pred had heat vision. She found out Pred couldnt see him. That's it. Maybe that's why you are struggling here. You think she figured out something that she didnt. She solved the parts of the puzzle needed to fight against him. That's it.

Again, nothing telegraphed that the Predator couldn't see him.
From Naru's perspective, the Predator had stopped over the body of the Frenchman. Why would she assume that the flower caused the blood to cool and thus led to the Predator not being able to see him when what is telegraphed is the Predator being suspicious about the Frenchman and assumes he might be playing dead.

I understand the writing side of it, and how the writer's assume you should see it, but that isn't how it's portrayed.

With Arnold, the Predator walked right past him while he was covered in mud. He has every reason to assume the mud was why the Predator couldn't see him, even if he doesn't know why. It's clearly telegraphed and the moment of realization comes from direct experience. The Frenchman playing dead and the Predator standing over him curiously doesn't equal "invisible".

A simple fix would be to have the Frenchman NOT play dead.

Sol

Sol

Quote from: Kurai on Aug 07, 2022, 03:49:50 PM
Quote from: BIOROBOT on Aug 07, 2022, 03:39:38 PMHow did Dutch deduce that the predator sees in heat vision. Being covered in mud doesn't automatically tell someone that whatever is hunting them only sees in an infrared spectrum. For all Dutch knew for whatever reason the mud made him less detectable to the predator. Same with Naru and her flower. All she knew is that for whatever reason when someone has eaten the cooling flower, a flower that she literally says "cools the blood" the predator has trouble detecting them. It's as much of a stretch as Dutch in the mud. It's a fictional device and nothing more.

Quote from: Sol on Aug 07, 2022, 03:43:20 PMShe didnt figure out Pred had heat vision. She found out Pred couldnt see him. That's it. Maybe that's why you are struggling here. You think she figured out something that she didnt. She solved the parts of the puzzle needed to fight against him. That's it.

From Naru's perspective, the Predator had stopped over the body of the Frenchman. Why would she assume that the flower caused the blood to cool and thus led to the Predator not being able to see him when what is telegraphed is the Predator being suspicious about the Frenchman and assumes he might be playing dead.

I understand the writing side of it, and how the writer's assume you should see it, but that isn't how it's portrayed.

With Arnold, the Predator walked right past him while he was covered in mud. He has every reason to assume the mud was why the Predator couldn't see him, even if he doesn't know why. It's clearly telegraphed and the moment of realization comes from direct experience. The Frenchman playing dead and the Predator standing over him curiously doesn't equal "invisible".

A simple fix would be to have the Frenchman NOT play dead.

I keep telling you, that you are missing something here. Were you sleep in the film? They go out there way to establish the orange flower medicine cools the blood (to stop the injured person from bleeding out). She even yells at one of her people who was trying to counter act it when they were rescuing Pui(sp?).

When she gave the frenchman the meds, seconds after he started to get chills (just to remind the audience of what the flower does).

How are you missing this?

BIOROBOT

BIOROBOT

I sew your point but I think it's semantics when it comes down to it.

Kurai

Kurai

Quote from: Sol on Aug 07, 2022, 03:55:25 PMI keep telling you, that you are missing something here. Were you sleep in the film? They go out there way to establish the orange flower medicine cools the blood (to stop the injured person from bleeding out). She even yells at one of her people who was trying to counter act it when they were rescuing Pui(sp?).

When she gave the frenchman the meds, seconds after he started to get chills (just remind the audience of what the flower does).

I'm not missing that.

YOU know that it will affect the Predator's vision. "I" know that it will affect the Predator's vision.

Naru has no reason to know it will and nothing that happened with the Frenchman FROM NARU'S PERSPECTIVE indicates that the flower was the reason the Predator was standing over him and not killing him.

BIOROBOT

BIOROBOT

Also if the French man has not played dead his movement would have been detected, just like Dutch would have been defected if he had moved.

Sol

Sol

Quote from: Kurai on Aug 07, 2022, 03:58:12 PM
Quote from: Sol on Aug 07, 2022, 03:55:25 PMI keep telling you, that you are missing something here. Were you sleep in the film? They go out there way to establish the orange flower medicine cools the blood (to stop the injured person from bleeding out). She even yells at one of her people who was trying to counter act it when they were rescuing Pui(sp?).

When she gave the frenchman the meds, seconds after he started to get chills (just remind the audience of what the flower does).

I'm not missing that.

YOU know that it will affect the Predator's vision. "I" know that it will affect the Predator's vision.

Naru has no reason to know it will and nothing that happened with the Frenchman FROM NARU'S PERSPECTIVE indicates that the flower was the reason the Predator was standing over him and not killing him.

There must be a language barrier here. I'm not spelling it out again. It was plain as day what happened, and how she came to the conclusion she did.

Maybe you *do* have an axe to grind here.

Kailem

Kailem

Quote from: Kurai on Aug 07, 2022, 03:49:50 PM

We see from the Predator's own point of view that he looks exactly like a dead body. He scans over several dead bodies and none of them have heat signatures. He's only curious about that one because of the blood trail. But after a while he just starts looking around and not paying any attention to him until he's about to leave, only realising he is alive when he steps on his leg and the guy cries out. And Naru sees all of it.

Like Sol said, it doesn't make any difference whether she knows "he can see body heat", all that matters is she sees that taking that flower makes it so that he can't really see you.

Kurai

Kurai

Quote from: BIOROBOT on Aug 07, 2022, 03:58:51 PMAlso if the French man has not played dead his movement would have been detected, just like Dutch would have been defected if he had moved.

You misunderstand my point.

Let's take an alternative scene. The Predator lands in the camp, the Frenchman presses himself up against a tree, clearly visible for a human.
The Predator follows the blood trail and stands over him, in clear view of Naru. The Predator looks at the end of the blood trail, bends down to touch it, then looks left and right.
Naru gives a quizzical tilt of her head. What's going on?
The Predator stands up and begins to walk away... "He couldn't see me..." Barely a whisper, but the Predator hears, twists around and stabs him.
The Predator, unnerved begins walking around and stabbing the nearest corpses before letting out a roar and jumping away.
"He couldn't see him..." Naru looks at the pouch. "Was it because of this?" She takes some and dashes in pursuit, leading to a scene of her openly following the Predator in full view of him, though at a safe distance.

It doesn't take much to fix it so everything is clearly telegraphed.

BIOROBOT

BIOROBOT

I can see that but that wasn't the way the movie was written maybe that part could have been spoon fed to the audience a little more. Personally I just don't see it as any more of an egregious leap in logic than anything that happened in the first movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed