10 (5.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 162,676 times)

BIOROBOT

BIOROBOT

If every single Predator looked, acted, and operated the same way we would just have repeat after repeat of the first movie. That may work for purists but for the other 95 percent of viewers it would get stale real fast. Different Predators keeps things interesting. I didn't see anything wrong with Feral. 

GreybackElder

GreybackElder

I totally get why people have an issue with Feral overall. Besides some stalking of wildlife in the first 3rd of the film it didn't act like the predators we are familiar with. It didn't stalk its victims one by one at all; but rather attack it's prey in groups. Feral is much more of a brawler than a cold calculated killer like Jungle or City. While that difference may put some viewers off I actually think it made this predator unique.

Something I wish he had gotten more of in Prey is the mind games predators play on its victims. The voice mimicry we got in P1 and P2 would have been sooo cool here. If
We had a scene of the predator mimicking Taabe or even Naru's Mother that would have been very chilling.

To echo what some people have mentioned, I wish the movie would have dived into how the Comanche tribe would have viewed the predator. Naru mentioned a monster from a child story, I would have loved to seen that expanded upon. Seeing the tribe view the predator as a supernatural being would have been awesome,

Rudiger

Rudiger

The Comanche would not have been unable to comprehend the Predator and its technology, let alone figure out how to use its laser guided targeting system to defeat one. There is an incredible book written by a man held captive by a Comanche tribe, who survived for three years by using his pocket watch to dazzle and entertain his captors. Everyone else captured was killed / tortured to death, but as he was traded from one group to the next, he used the watch to convince them that it was possessed by a spirit being. He purchased the watch a day before setting out on his journey across the plains. One very fortuitous purchase!

BIOROBOT

BIOROBOT

I kind of disagree that City Hunter was calculating. A lot of what he did was walk into rooms and kill everyone inside and the subway scene was full tilt slasher behavior. I never had a problem with it though because City Hunter is a different Pred than Jungle Hunter and it wouldn't make sense if they all robotically mimicked one another. What makes Predator so cool to me is like us each one is in individual.

Also I'd like to point out that this Predator truly was looking for the most challenging adversary instead of hiding in the trees and killing everyone with the knowledge that no one could possibly see him. If you really look at it Jungle Hunter opererated in a way where no one other than Arnold really had any chance of putting up a fight against it and the only reason Arnold was able to is because he figured out how to become the hunter.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Antoher minor gripe I have is that Feral's weaponry felt at times more advanced than what we have seen in the future.

Spoiler
Homing darts are very advanced IMO, and the little explosive flyng reddish bomb things too.
[close]

Jacku

Jacku

Quote from: GreybackElder on Aug 07, 2022, 02:30:05 PMSomething I wish he had gotten more of in Prey is the mind games predators play on its victims. The voice mimicry we got in P1 and P2 would have been sooo cool here. If
We had a scene of the predator mimicking Taabe or even Naru's Mother that would have been very chilling.

I was expecting Feral to mimic wolves/bears to trick people.

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 07, 2022, 03:15:05 PMAntoher minor gripe I have is that Feral's weaponry felt at times more advanced than what we have seen in the future.

Spoiler
Homing darts are very advanced IMO, and the little explosive flyng reddish bomb things too.
[close]

Spoiler
That's how I felt with the net weapon. Did it like completely destroy that one guy?
[close]

Kurai

Kurai

Another point that's sticking out to me on rewatches...

Why did Naru assume that Feral couldn't see the Frenchman she had given the orange flower? Is there a cut scene where she learns about the Predator's ability to only see heat?

She has neither the technological background nor the handson knowledge to assume that, especially considering the Predator literally stops over the Frenchman for a period of time, clearly "seeing" him.

The natural response would be to wonder whether the Predator wasn't sure if the Frenchman was dead.
I feel it's an example of the scriptwriter's knowledge seeping into the character's minds.

Sol

Sol

Quote from: Kurai on Aug 07, 2022, 03:18:10 PMAnother point that's sticking out to me on rewatches...

Why did Naru assume that Feral couldn't see the Frenchman she had given the orange flower? Is there a cut scene where she learns about the Predator's ability to only see heat?

She has neither the technological background nor the handson knowledge to assume that, especially considering the Predator literally stops over the Frenchman for a period of time, clearly "seeing" him.

The natural response would be to wonder whether the Predator wasn't sure if the Frenchman was dead.
I feel it's an example of the scriptwriter's knowledge seeping into the character's minds.

She had knowledge that her medicine from the orange petal flower cooled the bled to prevent bloodloss. She then gave that same medicine containing it to the wounded French guy, who then the Pred couldn't see. She's not dumb, and she put 2 and 2 together.

Kurai

Kurai

Bu
Quote from: Sol on Aug 07, 2022, 03:21:06 PM
Quote from: Kurai on Aug 07, 2022, 03:18:10 PMAnother point that's sticking out to me on rewatches...

She had knowledge that her medicine from the orange petal flower cooled the bled to prevent bloodloss. She then gave that same medicine containing it to the wounded French guy, who then the Pred couldn't see. She's not dumb, and she put 2 and 2 together.

But that's not what happened.
1. The Predator DID see him.
2. Connecting those two dots, assuming the creature sees things differently, is a MASSIVE leap.

No person without prior knowledge of the Predator would put 2 and 2 together that way.

426Buddy

426Buddy

He didn't see the french guy, he only killed him when he revealed himself.

skhellter

skhellter

https://twitter.com/NickPitarra/status/1178003141767438336

good to keep in mind while dealing with the more delusional "opinions" in the fanbase.

Sol

Sol

Quote from: Kurai on Aug 07, 2022, 03:23:41 PMBu
Quote from: Sol on Aug 07, 2022, 03:21:06 PM

But that's not what happened.
1. The Predator DID see him.
2. Connecting those two dots, assuming the creature sees things differently, is a MASSIVE leap.

No person without prior knowledge of the Predator would put 2 and 2 together that way.
Yea, you must have missed something. Good thing you can pull it up on Hulu right now and watch it again.

His body was cold, and when he scanned the camp, he had a cold heat signature. Once he stepped on him, and he screamed, was when he impaled him. It's right there in black and white.

Kurai

Kurai

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 07, 2022, 03:26:43 PMHe didn't see the french guy, he only killed him when he revealed himself.

He literally did though... Even in the Pred-Vision scenes WE see him.
And again, NONE of that matters, because why would Naru have any reason to assume he only sees heat? From Naru's perspective, the Predator stops over a corpse and waits to see if it moves... Nothing else. She has no reason at all to assume he only sees heat.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Yeah they see the outline of Dutch when he's covered in mud too. The point is that he doesn't see the heat signature.

Feral steps over the body and looks around like there isn't anything to see, but when the man moves and makes noise he gets killed.

I was fine with her seeing the connection. Just feels like people are desperate to find a way to rip this film any way they can.

Enjoy

Enjoy

The Frenchman's blood trail was still warm while his body was cold except a small bit of his throat . Pred knew he was alive the whole time I think. My main take away is predator movies just got better with room to grow. Not perfect but good and getting better.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed