7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 162,777 times)

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 06, 2022, 11:53:54 AMI have a question:

Spoiler
Did Naru cut off that poor Frenchman's leg ?
[close]

Sure it isn't
Spoiler
Feral's work off-screen ?
[close]

Kradan

Kradan

IIRC he stumbles upon it later

Hive Tyrant

Hive Tyrant

Wow, this movie was tight. Didn't overstay its welcome, solid characters and performances, very interesting premise, great cinematography, BRUTAL kills, evocative creature aesthetic, fantastic sound design. My only complaint is that

Spoiler
the final confrontation is a bit short. Naru doesn't have to improvise, the Predator just walks right into her trap and her plan is executed perfectly. I like it when things don't go entirely according to plan and the hero has to wrestle victory from the jaws of defeat by the skin of their teeth. Naru's victory felt too easy, it cheapened the power of the Predator a little.
[close]

Either way, still a solid 7 out of 10. I had a good time and I'd very much enjoy it if they keep making Predator movies like this.

Kradan

Kradan

Really dissapointed there were no

Spoiler
sasquatches
[close]

in the movie

Dark Knight

Dark Knight

I couldnt make much of Feral face since we dont see too much but i did pause the first time he was unmasked so i could observe him for a good 5 minutes and...

...yeah... im getting use to his face i guess, im not too shocked, its more like a couldnt make much sense about his face during my first viewing.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The face is growing on me too.

It doesn't much gel with what we've seen before, but taken as it's own thing I find it pleasingly creepy.

Kailem

Kailem

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 06, 2022, 12:25:05 PMReally dissapointed there were no

Spoiler
sasquatches
[close]

in the movie

Did you not stay until after the credits? They showed....
Spoiler
....a tribe of Sasquatches spying on Naru's camp, with one of them saying "Now, dear friends, just when they think the danger has passed, we shall show them who the TRUE predators are!" via squatchtitles.
[close]

PsyKore

PsyKore

I need to let this settle, but after my first watch I liked it, but it was also a bit mediocre in some aspects.

Right from the moment the PNG image of the "PREY" title screen slides onto the screen (made me laugh a bit, honestly) I felt a bit uneasy about what was to come.

Fortunately, though, I was impressed with Naru. I thought she'd be generic, but I was totally on her side and thought her character was well done. Would've liked to have seen more between her and her brother, honestly. More emphasis could have improved a lot of key moments, I think.

Less impressive was the Predator himself. Sure, he's got some cool toys and is entertaining, but he feels like a big oaf. Also, missing from him is tension and more dramatic buildup to some of his kills. He tends to just loiter around a lot at the start and then just slasher kills his way through victims. Kinda boring. I do like this Predator, don't get me wrong, but I think he needed better direction/depiction. But that's just me.

The editing was a bit haphazard in this film too, but it's nothing dire.

For me this film is along side Predators, but saying that, I think Naru's character has a lot more potential and is the best thing to come out in a long time.

GreybackElder

GreybackElder

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 06, 2022, 06:59:38 AM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 06, 2022, 12:40:46 AMAlso, the only time Feral "didn't know how his gear worked" was when he was firing darts in a panic after being hit in the back by his own weapon, and it's worth noting that EVERY time he fired it at Tabee, Tabee had to dodge the arrow because it was still going straight for him, he wasn't missing simply due to being "dumb", he was missing because he wasn't used to it and his target was dodging while moving.

Yeah, I picked this up too on my second viewing. There is some forward trajectory to the arrows before they start to auto-target and follow the laser.

Yes! I watched again last night and I did notice that the arrows shot straight for a while before being controlled by the mask. Upon 2nd viewing I don't think he forgets how the speargun works. Perhaps Feral knows exactly how it works but he's overconfident and assumes he will hit taabe before the auto tracking kicks in. Feral realizes he can't and picks the biohelmet up for the auto track.

The ending I'm okay with. I mean he was shot in the head. I'd ask anyone to try and critical think with a bullet in their brain. I would have liked to see more of an impact on Feral's movements after the shot but I can live it.

Spoiler:

Spoiler
Is anyone else relieved that there was no Predator/Human team up? I'm over that. The alliances make the predator so much less mysterious.
[close]

Kailem

Kailem

The arrows are clearly shown to have a ton of forward momentum when they're fired, and only after they've already travelled a certain distance in a straight line do they start homing in on where the dots are pointed. If that wasn't the case, the arrows would fly towards the dots the second he fired them.

It's just like you said, the times he fires them without the tracking he's obviously expecting them to stop because they were lodged in his targets long before they get to the part where they start auto-tracking. Which was honestly one of my small gripes.....
Spoiler
....with the ending. I guess we're just meant to chalk it up to head trauma that he missed a stationary target from such close range? Naru didn't look like she made any attempt to dodge the bolt before it started homing back round.

It seems like Feral's just a crap shot in general without his mask on (see Sarii as well).
[close]

Rudiger

Rudiger

Quote from: D88M on Aug 06, 2022, 08:10:24 AM
Quote from: Rudiger on Aug 05, 2022, 05:16:08 PMAnd a lead performance so wooden it's no wonder the Predator couldn't spot her among all the trees.

I have seen the movie a few hours ago and i am just going through the pages to catch up before posting my opinion, i think the movie is fine and the usual opposite extremes "This movie is amazing/terrible the best/worst thing ever" are hyperbolic and as usual (and as i suspected right from the start) the truth lies more in the middle.

But i just had to stop and make this long meandering comment just to say that this quote, which i disagree with by the way, was very funny, it made me laugh.

Thanks buddy. I just couldn't help myself.

D/_\N

I enjoyed the movie a lot. I hope other directors take note and give us the fans what we need!

BIOROBOT

BIOROBOT

Kailem is exactly right. I dont know why it's so hard to understand how the bolt gun works when it's clearly shown in the movie.

Kurai

Kurai

I enjoyed it.
Visually it was pretty good, though some of the early Predator vs animal shots could have used a bit more work.

Spoiler
My only gripe is that the main character, Naru, was pretty much why everyone who mattered died.
Her running off without telling anyone is the only reason any of her tribe is killed. Up until then, the Predator is minding its' own business.
You can say that it may have come after them eventually, but we never get to see that.
Instead we see a narcissist get her brother, the most likeable character in the movie, and his group of stick in the butt hunters killed and she is heiled as a hero in the end for it.
Just doesn't sit right with me.
It was great as a movie, I loved the creativity. It was interesting seeing Naru use the Predator's own weapon against it in the end... Just the morality of everything is a bit orange for me.
[close]

If Naru's motivations were more fleshed out, if there were some repercussions for the damage she causes to her tribe, it would be a 9/10 for me. As it stands, I'd say 7/10.
Great, but just shy of perfection, and that's okay too.

Vrastal

Vrastal

i really liked it. cant wait to get a feral predator neca figure, and i hope they release this on bluray

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed