10 (5.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 155,761 times)

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

City Hunter IS a dumb brute, he is extremely reckless and makes many mistakes through the movie and could have easily survived the events of P2 if he wasn't so cocky or careless.
Feral's weapons are all close ranged and that's how he hunts, and he does stalk too, at least before deciding to jump into battle after facing the Comanche party.
 Also, the only time Feral "didn't know how his gear worked" was when he was firing darts in a panic after being hit in the back by his own weapon, and it's worth noting that EVERY time he fired it at Tabee, Tabee had to dodge the arrow because it was still going straight for him, he wasn't missing simply due to being "dumb", he was missing because he wasn't used to it and his target was dodging while moving.

overthere

overthere

Quote from: GreybackElder on Aug 06, 2022, 12:39:50 AMI totally understand that criticism. The hunting aspects of this movie was very different than the other films.

In my opinion the first half of the film with Feral hunting the wildlife and stalking the Comanches was great. When feral started to attack the French trappers he felt more akin to Jason or Michael Myers. An unstoppable killer dispatching a number of foes at once. But, how is that any different than City?

There really isn't a good explanation for it and I get why that could rub fans the wrong way. I mean you could always fansplain it away by chalking it up to individuality among predators or subspecies of predators. Or you could stick with the marketing and think it was that Predator's first Hunt on earth and this was more of a scout than anything regardless I for one liked is actions(for the most part minus some things in the end of course.)

I just want to point out something about your signature. Billy actually says "and it ain't no ma'am"

SiL

SiL

Quote from: GreybackElder on Aug 06, 2022, 12:39:50 AMI totally understand that criticism. The hunting aspects of this movie was very different than the other films.

In my opinion the first half of the film with Feral hunting the wildlife and stalking the Comanches was great. When feral started to attack the French trappers he felt more akin to Jason or Michael Myers. An unstoppable killer dispatching a number of foes at once. But, how is that any different than City?

There really isn't a good explanation for it and I get why that could rub fans the wrong way. I mean you could always fansplain it away by chalking it up to individuality among predators or subspecies of predators. Or you could stick with the marketing and think it was that Predator's first Hunt on earth and this was more of a scout than anything regardless I for one liked is actions(for the most part minus some things in the end of course.)

It's really part of a whole. On its own it wasn't so bad - there's precedent - but there were so many other little touches lacking that didn't tie it back.

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 06, 2022, 12:40:46 AMAlso, the only time Feral "didn't know how his gear worked" was when he was firing darts in a panic after being hit in the back by his own weapon, and it's worth noting that EVERY time he fired it at Tabee, Tabee had to dodge the arrow because it was still going straight for him, he wasn't missing simply due to being "dumb", he was missing because he wasn't used to it and his target was dodging while moving.
We can explain it as a panic the first time -- but then he does the same thing later. He doesn't learn and he doesn't seem to realise what happened. That paints him as ignorant of how his own technology functions.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

How would he know his helmet is mere meters away from him and not where he was hit or somewhere else? For all he knew he would have no idea they were aware of the targeting system

SiL

SiL

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 06, 2022, 12:52:58 AMHow would he know his helmet is mere meters away from him and not where he was hit or somewhere else? For all he knew he would have no idea they were aware of the targeting system
Why would we expect it to suddenly not need the targeting system? We're never shown it working otherwise.

We could've got the same ending with the same result without making the Predator look dumb with a bit more clever writing.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Again, it's not like the Predator knew the mask was right there pointing at him lol, he wasn't dumb, he was cocky, y'know, like every other Predator

SiL

SiL

The point is why would he even expect it to hit her if it's going to go find its target elsewhere. I'm not saying he's dumb for shooting himself -- you're right, he wouldn't know -- but he is dumb for trying it. If he hadn't, Naru would be dead -- and that's what I don't like. It only happens so he can kill himself and it just feels like a lazy out that's not necessary.

Naru uses a reflective surface to redirect the lasers -- boom, elegant solution, nobody looks like an idiot, same outcome. Would require a little setup, but that's hardly difficult.

EDIT

And just so we're all clear I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything or to change anyone's minds, I'm just saying how I feel and the reasons why. Your mileage may vary.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Aug 06, 2022, 12:58:09 AMNaru uses a reflective surface to redirect the lasers -- boom, elegant solution, nobody looks like an idiot, same outcome. Would require a little setup, but that's hardly difficult.

I'm now imagining some loony tunes shit with an Aliens' dome redirecting the laser.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 06, 2022, 01:19:26 AM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 06, 2022, 12:58:09 AMNaru uses a reflective surface to redirect the lasers -- boom, elegant solution, nobody looks like an idiot, same outcome. Would require a little setup, but that's hardly difficult.

I'm now imagining some loony tunes shit with an Aliens' dome redirecting the laser.
f**k BRB grabbing some screenshots to animate this.

Prez

Prez

I really love the different take to this Predator. Why do all Predators have to be the same? ... I mean look at us humans. We have so much diversity in all manner of our aspects in the way we look, interact and go about our business. And this doesn't feel like too much of a stretch to have me going `Oh they really messed with the Predator'. I like the fact Dan had something a little different but also familiar with this Predator.

I'll wait a while before watching it again - let it breathe a bit.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

He's cocky for sure. Mud in his eyes too. Incensed. Beaten up. Angery.  ;D

Also we can assume Feral can use his projectiles without guidance, raw dogging 😂. First time he's just hoping Naru's brother gets caught in the line of sight, second he only realises when he turns that's it aimed at him. He's pissed with mud in his eyes. ANGRY BOI 😂🥰🥰

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Prez on Aug 06, 2022, 01:24:59 AMI really love the different take to this Predator. Why do all Predators have to be the same? ... I mean look at us humans. We have so much diversity in all manner of our aspects in the way we look, interact and go about our business. And this doesn't feel like too much of a stretch to have me going `Oh they really messed with the Predator'. I like the fact Dan had something a little different but also familiar with this Predator.
For me it's not about being exactly the same, it's about change and continuity. Change some things but maintain others to tie it all together to express individuality- the same way the first two predators look and act different but are still clearly the same organism.

I personally think Feral dropped too many things at once and lost the glue that tied it back to the others.

But I'm also going to let it sit and come back to it later.

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

Overall, I enjoyed it. There's really not much to say about it since it's such a simple premise. I'm 50/50 on the new predator.

Spoiler
-on one hand: he is, without a doubt, the worst looking predator ever. I mean, Jesus Christ, :laugh: Those eyes: like a character out of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit."

He looks great with the Mask on, at least.

-The bear fight was awesome until he just punches the bear in the face: resulting in its death. What? Dutch got punched a dozen times and kept going, why would a bear just drop dead?

-I'm happy to see the original vision mode return.

-Feral was fun to watch. the new gadgets were great, I just wished he stalked from the trees at least once.

-I had no problem with the way Naru beat the predator. The only time I called "bullshit" was when she pulled him into the mud. Yeah no, he would have pulled that rope and sent her flying.

- Did anybody else catch the subtle after credits scene? Looks like a fleet of Predator ships descend on Naru and her tribe. To collect Feral's body? I guess this is the moment Greyback gets the flintlock pistol?
[close]

SiL

SiL

I liked the touch of the mask noting and tracking individual targets.

Highland

Highland

I get the criticism of the ending, but I think the fact that after half an hour you realise your actually watching a competent movie , it sort of over rules the iffy bits.

If anything I think the movie required an extra sequence or two. One after her brother dies and one for the set up , you could even blend those two in.

Feels like though Dan was given about 30 bucks to make this movie and he managed to squeeze every last cent out of it.  8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed