Alien 3's (Assembly Cut) Extremely Dark Atmosphere

Started by LastSurvivor92, Feb 25, 2014, 06:55:12 AM

Author
Alien 3's (Assembly Cut) Extremely Dark Atmosphere (Read 19,334 times)

LastSurvivor92

I believe the opening beach sequence really sets the tone for the film though. The old rustic cranes and mining machinery laid away against a beautiful yet desolate backdrop of the ocean and the dark weather surrounding the area sets the audience up for a dreary ride. Are we to just assume Golic died in the fire like the Theatrical Cut illustrates? No, the Assembly Cut gives the film an extra and interesting subplot involving Golic's sick obsession and twisted imagination of the Alien in the film. He thinks the Alien is giving him a chance or "treating him like its own" since it killed Boggs and Rains and never him. Than he witnessed the killing of Clemens yet it never bothered to kill him. So it was cool to finally see him face the Alien one on one and die. He was one of the prisoners. A character in the film. So it was important to the story. The Theatrical Cut was shorter and a MUCH choppier ride I felt. The ONLY thing about the Thetarical Cut that was better in my opinon was the dog sequence other than that prove to me otherwise why the Assembly Cut IS NOT a good film??

SM

QuoteAre we to just assume Golic died in the fire like the Theatrical Cut illustrates?

Yup.

QuoteNo, the Assembly Cut gives the film an extra and interesting subplot involving Golic's sick obsession and twisted imagination of the Alien in the film. He thinks the Alien is giving him a chance or "treating him like its own" since it killed Boggs and Rains and never him. Than he witnessed the killing of Clemens yet it never bothered to kill him. So it was cool to finally see him face the Alien one on one and die. He was one of the prisoners. A character in the film. So it was important to the story.

The fact it was cleanly edited out of the film and 99.9% of the audience didn't notice, amply shows it wasn't important.  If they left all Golic's earlier scenes intact, people would've noticed - but that's not how it panned out.

QuoteThe ONLY thing about the Thetarical Cut that was better in my opinon was the dog sequence other than that prove to me otherwise why the Assembly Cut IS NOT a good film??

Objectively - Alien3 fails in terms of the badly written setup, is populated almost entirely by people would wouldn't care for if we could tell them apart, the main protagonist is behind the audience for most of the first half, the visual effects are sub par.  This applies to both cuts.  The Assembly is just a slower and more redundant version of the Theatrical Cut.

Subjectively - I dig them in spite of the myriad flaws.

LastSurvivor92

I think everyone has some good points in this thread on both sides of the argument. I don't know as a fan man I just enjoy the longer cut of Alien 3, the Assembly Cut. It has more detail which I enjoy and find very interesting. Plus it uses Fincher's workprints which are the closest thing that we will ever get to as far as Fincher's vision goes.

SM

The Workprint excised the ox in favour of the dog.

The Assembly is interesting and does provide more detail - simply because there's more screen time.  But Assemblies by their very definition aren't for public consumption.  The only reason they did this one was because everyone knew there was more footage out there, they might as well exploit it, and fortunately we had Charles dL in charge wh did a cracking job.

However a film that's well paced, it is not.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: SM on Mar 11, 2014, 05:59:40 AM

However a film that's well paced, it is not.

How so?

SM

QuoteThe Assembly is just a slower and more redundant version of the Theatrical Cut.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: SM on Mar 11, 2014, 06:11:56 AM
QuoteThe Assembly is just a slower and more redundant version of the Theatrical Cut.

How though? How exactly is it slower and more redundant?

Alien³

Quote from: SM on Mar 11, 2014, 05:31:05 AM
The Assembly is just a slower and more redundant version of the Theatrical Cut.

It's like they're the same film? :o

We'll just have to a agree to disagree.

The Assembly is just refined and more coherent version of the Theatrical Cut.
Spoiler
It's better ;)
[close]

SM

Quote from: Flight Officer Lambert on Mar 11, 2014, 06:24:14 AM
Quote from: SM on Mar 11, 2014, 06:11:56 AM

How though? How exactly is it slower and more redundant?

Please refer to any of my previous posts.

SiL

Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 11, 2014, 10:32:05 AM
The Assembly is just refined and more coherent version of the Theatrical Cut.
Um, by definition it's the exact opposite of "refined". It's not even meant to be "refined", it is what it is: longer. That's all they were going for, and it showed.

A "refined" cut of A3 exists between the two existing versions.

SM

Even the Workprint needs more work - just not to the extent of the TC.

And yeah, the Assembly is simply an assemblage of everything they shot (well nearly).  It is completely lacking in refinement.  It's why Editors are a major part of a film crew.

SiL

[needless pedant]An assembly cut is the editor's first rough cut of the film before the director finishes production and joins the editing process directly, more or less[/needless pedant]

The only edit I ever wish I got to see in context was Ripley's ridiculously long pause before closing the door on Bishop. It's one thing I think would actually increase my enjoyment of the film by enhancing the emotion of the scene. I realise Ripley's a no-nonsense lady and answering quickly is entirely within her nature, but that one moment of humanity where she actually thinks about it is the kind of thing I'd like.

Alien³

Quote from: SiL on Mar 11, 2014, 10:55:30 AM
A "refined" cut of A3 exists between the two existing versions.

In your opinion of course.

SiL

Only the "between" part. The Assembly Cut isn't a refined version of the movie by any stretch.

Alien³

Quote from: SiL on Mar 11, 2014, 11:30:12 AM
The Assembly Cut isn't a refined version of the movie by any stretch.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed