Alien: Romulus to be released theatrically on Aug. 16, 2024

Started by Gimitko, Jun 13, 2023, 03:49:16 PM

Author
Alien: Romulus to be released theatrically on Aug. 16, 2024 (Read 29,849 times)

xenalien

Do you know something ?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nukiemorph on Jun 13, 2023, 04:50:06 PMCovenant won't be the last Alien film we ever see in theaters!

https://media.tenor.com/Z2HxUamVZTMAAAAd/baby-cute.gif

David as Alien creator controversy aside, I still f**king love Covenant.

I think this is about on par with when I was expecting to see the film release. I just hope we actually get some noise and promotion for it. These quieter productions are much less exciting for us to track and cover.  :laugh: I miss all the on-set interviews and set reports.

Regardless, I'm still excited for this. Very glad it's actually coming to theatres!

Necronomicon II

Neila

On the one hand, this is good news.
Especially since we will also have the Alien series as streaming.
On the other hand, I have something to think about.
Prey was very successful as a streaming film.
But that probably wouldn't have been the case in the cinema.
I hope that Romulus goes down better with the people than Covenant (which I found pretty good despite all the whining.)
Maybe the sequel to Prey will be in the cinemas again.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Very relieved that this Alien movie is getting the theatrical treatment, hope it's holds up, by then Prometheus will be on its 12th anniversary and Alien Vs Predator movie will be at its 20th, it seems on coming Alien films will be loose with continuity rather than emphasis connecting to the wider lore.

Necronomicon II

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 14, 2023, 07:49:36 AM
Quote from: Nukiemorph on Jun 13, 2023, 04:50:06 PMCovenant won't be the last Alien film we ever see in theaters!

I think this is about on par with when I was expecting to see the film release. I just hope we actually get some noise and promotion for it. These quieter productions are much less exciting for us to track and cover.  :laugh: I miss all the on-set interviews and set reports.

Regardless, I'm still excited for this. Very glad it's actually coming to theatres!

Ay, I asked chatgpt about David and here's what it said —

"The events of the "Alien" franchise, particularly as depicted in "Prometheus" and "Alien: Covenant," suggest that the android David played a significant role in the creation of a version of the Xenomorph creature, but whether he is the original creator is a subject of debate.

David mistakenly attributes the poem "Ozymandias" to Lord Byron when it was written by Percy Bysshe Shelley. This error, coupled with his overall deceptive behavior, suggests that he might be an unreliable narrator. Therefore, it's reasonable to question his claim of being the creator of the Xenomorph species.

The theme of mistaken authorship certainly adds an interesting layer to this discussion. If David, a highly advanced artificial intelligence, can mistakenly attribute a famous poem to the wrong author, it's conceivable that he could also mistakenly believe he is the original creator of the Xenomorph, when he may be merely recreating or modifying something that existed previously.

As for whether an AI can authentically create, that's a complex philosophical question. From a practical perspective, we see throughout the "Alien" series that David can indeed manipulate biological materials and 'create' in the sense of producing new life forms. Whether this counts as 'authentic' creation may depend on how one defines creativity. If it involves bringing something wholly new into existence, then perhaps David falls short, given the pre-existing elements he works with. But if creativity includes making something new from pre-existing elements—which is, after all, what all artists and inventors do—then one could argue that David does indeed create.

Ultimately, the question of David's reliability as a narrator, and the philosophical implications of his 'creations', adds depth and complexity to his character and to the overarching narrative of the "Alien" franchise."

Not a bad answer. 😅

Nukiemorph

I love Covenant too. I was just bummed by the idea of never seeing an Alien film in theaters again.

xShadowFoxX

I think releasing it in theaters is fine. It'll be great to watch it on the big screen. It's just the question of whether or not that it'll be a success or whether it'll just be us fans watching the film.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 14, 2023, 07:49:36 AMI think this is about on par with when I was expecting to see the film release. I just hope we actually get some noise and promotion for it. These quieter productions are much less exciting for us to track and cover.  :laugh: I miss all the on-set interviews and set reports.

I feel like now we're actually going to get a proper marketing campaign for this, instead of just a trailer a month or so before release like we did with Prey. A couple trailers, actual press, a more publicized premiere, etc...

Between how well Prey went over with its audiences, and the recent success of Evil Dead Rise (which was also a franchise horror movie shot for streaming that got the bump to theatrical), this really does feel like the right fit for Romulus.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jun 14, 2023, 09:01:52 AMAy, I asked chatgpt about David and here's what it said —

I explored this myself last year. Was a fun piece to put together.

lv_226

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 14, 2023, 11:58:49 AM
Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jun 14, 2023, 09:01:52 AMAy, I asked chatgpt about David and here's what it said —

I explored this myself last year. Was a fun piece to put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YypOJvThyqk

This is a great piece. I find myself coming back to it often, especially when discussions about the origin of the Alien come up.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: kwisatz on Jun 14, 2023, 02:41:41 AMIt's all nothing if the writing suxx arse tho

Writing is what guaranteed this being released theatrically... the WGA Writer's Strike that is. Studios will need to rake in as many profits as they can because the strike will affect revenues approx a year-2 years after the end of the strikes. Investing in franchises which already have several unproduced scripts, and expanded media, which they can later mine for content, is an ace in the whole to combat the conditions. Better yet, they can just produce the written scripts as is, because they own them already. This makes writer's strikes good for franchises like Alien - at least for fans like us who love following the in's and outs of the development aspects, as they come up and then fizzle out.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we started hearing rumblings of movement around some of the recent Alien projects that didn't get made - again - if this rolls on much longer. The AVP animated series, Blomkamp's film, Ridley's 3rd prequel, maybe even that Brandywine script... if it's written and they already own it, there is a good chance they will start to reconsider it. Another possibility is that some of those ideas make their way into the second or third season of the Alien series, depending on how much is already written.
In 2007-2008, the writer's strike resulted in a boom of reality TV because the industry had to move forward with productions, and without writer's they start mining for content they already own, to bolster the box office. It is a much bigger issue for the industry than people realize.
A franchise like Alien is a beast on multiple fronts, so what once looked like a risk will suddenly appear like a much better investment.
Especially considering how much is currently in the works. It's a logical property to flesh out in the absence of months and months of new material in development.

Another way the writer's strike helps this project. They will want to invest, promote and merch more.

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jun 14, 2023, 09:01:52 AM

Ay, I asked chatgpt about David and here's what it said —

"The events of the "Alien" franchise, particularly as depicted in "Prometheus" and "Alien: Covenant," suggest that the android David played a significant role in the creation of a version of the Xenomorph creature, but whether he is the original creator is a subject of debate.

David mistakenly attributes the poem "Ozymandias" to Lord Byron when it was written by Percy Bysshe Shelley. This error, coupled with his overall deceptive behavior, suggests that he might be an unreliable narrator. Therefore, it's reasonable to question his claim of being the creator of the Xenomorph species.

The theme of mistaken authorship certainly adds an interesting layer to this discussion. If David, a highly advanced artificial intelligence, can mistakenly attribute a famous poem to the wrong author, it's conceivable that he could also mistakenly believe he is the original creator of the Xenomorph, when he may be merely recreating or modifying something that existed previously.

As for whether an AI can authentically create, that's a complex philosophical question. From a practical perspective, we see throughout the "Alien" series that David can indeed manipulate biological materials and 'create' in the sense of producing new life forms. Whether this counts as 'authentic' creation may depend on how one defines creativity. If it involves bringing something wholly new into existence, then perhaps David falls short, given the pre-existing elements he works with. But if creativity includes making something new from pre-existing elements—which is, after all, what all artists and inventors do—then one could argue that David does indeed create.

Ultimately, the question of David's reliability as a narrator, and the philosophical implications of his 'creations', adds depth and complexity to his character and to the overarching narrative of the "Alien" franchise."

Not a bad answer. 😅

During promotion, I remember somebody mentioning the old adage, "You can't create something that doesn't reference something you've seen before" and I think this applies to David's flaws explicitly. I would argue its implied - given the subtext that David cannot mate and procreate, and he is therefore like a sexually frustrated robot, angry that he cannot procreate, the one thing his human creators could do which made them superior - that David's work is doomed to merely recreate the alien and is therefore a failure to him.

While I'm extrapolating, I suspect this theme was to be explored in the sequel/s to Covenant. What a great twist on this, it would be for David to "find" the Derelict and realize it had already been done.

I also love Covenant and think it the 4th best in the series behind the trilogy.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Ja, alright. I was talking more about writing quality though. I'm not really convinced these two can write a decent Alien flick (or let's better say one I'll actually like/love).

That's why my level of anticipation is actually pretty low no matter how much Alvarez is gonna escalate on the horror aspect. Happy to be proven wrong here though, reallyreally.

Eal

I don't agree necessarily, but I see where you're coming from. Better to be disappointed early than when it's too late.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 14, 2023, 03:08:01 AMMy mind keeps going back to this quote from March 2022, when the movie was first announced:

QuoteAccording to sources, Álvarez is a rabid fan of the franchise and casually pitched a take to Scott many years ago. The idea remained implanted in Scott's brain until late last year, when he called Álvarez out of the blue and asked him if he was still up for it. Álvarez didn't have to be asked twice.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/alien-movie-fede-alvarez-20th-century-studios-1235037155/

It really is sounding like there could be a very real chance of making good on the promises of the potential of this pitch.

The words "rabid fan" always gives me pause. The Strause Brothers were "rabid fans", Paul WS Anderson was a "rabid fan", Randy Pitchford was a "rabid fan" and Neill Blomkamp was also a "rabid fan".

And Scott doesn't exactly have a perfect track record when it comes to choosing good scripts, much as I adore the old f*cker.

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jun 14, 2023, 09:01:52 AMAy, I asked chatgpt about David and here's what it said

Et tu, Necronomicon?  >:(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed