Alien: Romulus to be released theatrically on Aug. 16, 2024

Started by Gimitko, Jun 13, 2023, 03:49:16 PM

Author
Alien: Romulus to be released theatrically on Aug. 16, 2024 (Read 28,904 times)

Eal

Quote from: SiL on Jun 27, 2023, 08:20:39 AMSee the gore or leave it to the imagination, pick one.

¿Porqué no los dos?

You can see flashes of gore, or flashes of something gorey that imply something even worse and more graphic. You don't have to linger on it like gorno films do.

Nightmare Asylum

Given Alvarez's filmography, I do expect a gorier film here than we usually see from this series. Perez looking at the chunk of his brain in Resurrection and Covenant's shower scene both feel like things that are very much in his wheelhouse.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

"Dear AVPG,
The use of gore and the use of imagination in storytelling are not mutually exclusive because they can often serve complementary roles. Let's explore how:

Artistic Medium: In both literature and film, gore is an artistic tool, much like any other form of imagery. It's not the gore itself that matters, but the way it is portrayed, interpreted, and integrated into the story. When well executed, it can stimulate imagination by triggering strong emotions, promoting visual or mental imagery, and enhancing narrative tension or thematic depth.

Psychological Impact: The use of gore can spark imagination by inducing psychological reactions. It can lead to a heightened state of alertness, curiosity, or fear, which might prompt audiences to predict future events, empathize with characters, or reflect on underlying themes. This process inherently involves the imagination.

Symbolism and Metaphor: Gore can be used symbolically or metaphorically, encouraging audiences to think beyond the literal and consider deeper meanings or themes. This interpretative process is a fundamental aspect of imagination.

World-Building and Character Development: Gore can contribute to world-building and character development. It can hint at the harshness of a world or the resilience of a character, encouraging audiences to imagine the broader context or backstory.

Sensory Engagement: Gore, especially in visual media, engages multiple senses (vision, sound, etc.), stimulating the audience's sensory imagination. In written media, detailed descriptions can achieve a similar effect.

Therefore, gore can be a means of engaging and activating the audience's imagination, rather than detracting from it. However, it's crucial to use it judiciously and purposefully, in line with the story's tone, theme, and intended audience, to avoid gratuitous or senseless violence.

Here's an example: As he proceeded closer to the scene, the earth squelched beneath. Warm, viscous crimson liquid swelled and effervesced up between his toes like water being squeezed from a soiled sink sponge. His gaze was drawn to the dripping yellow treacle draining against the wall, tracing its trail to the runny-yolk eyes of a deformed body plastered on the ceiling. It was no ordinary body. An inconceivable union of flesh and steel. "What...happened here?"

(cue imagination)

Best, ChatGPT"

Anyway I'll be away for a while, lots of stuff happening, I'll return when I can when some particular book(s) arrive.

Peace.

Eal

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jun 27, 2023, 03:22:32 PM"Dear AVPG,
The use of gore and the use of imagination in storytelling are not mutually exclusive because they can often serve complementary roles. Let's explore how:

Artistic Medium: In both literature and film, gore is an artistic tool, much like any other form of imagery. It's not the gore itself that matters, but the way it is portrayed, interpreted, and integrated into the story. When well executed, it can stimulate imagination by triggering strong emotions, promoting visual or mental imagery, and enhancing narrative tension or thematic depth.

Psychological Impact: The use of gore can spark imagination by inducing psychological reactions. It can lead to a heightened state of alertness, curiosity, or fear, which might prompt audiences to predict future events, empathize with characters, or reflect on underlying themes. This process inherently involves the imagination.

Symbolism and Metaphor: Gore can be used symbolically or metaphorically, encouraging audiences to think beyond the literal and consider deeper meanings or themes. This interpretative process is a fundamental aspect of imagination.

World-Building and Character Development: Gore can contribute to world-building and character development. It can hint at the harshness of a world or the resilience of a character, encouraging audiences to imagine the broader context or backstory.

Sensory Engagement: Gore, especially in visual media, engages multiple senses (vision, sound, etc.), stimulating the audience's sensory imagination. In written media, detailed descriptions can achieve a similar effect.

Therefore, gore can be a means of engaging and activating the audience's imagination, rather than detracting from it. However, it's crucial to use it judiciously and purposefully, in line with the story's tone, theme, and intended audience, to avoid gratuitous or senseless violence.

Here's an example: As he proceeded closer to the scene, the earth squelched beneath. Warm, viscous crimson liquid swelled and effervesced up between his toes like water being squeezed from a soiled sink sponge. His gaze was drawn to the dripping yellow treacle draining against the wall, tracing its trail to the runny-yolk eyes of a deformed body plastered on the ceiling. It was no ordinary body. An inconceivable union of flesh and steel. "What...happened here?"

(cue imagination)

Best, ChatGPT"

Anyway I'll be away for a while, lots of stuff happening, I'll return when I can when some particular book(s) arrive.

Peace.

The yolk-iest eggmorphing description I've seen.

Nightmare Asylum

Still holding its date as of Disney's latest reshuffling of its release schedule. Listed currently as "Untitled Alien Event Movie."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed