Alien: Romulus to be released theatrically on Aug. 16, 2024

Started by Gimitko, Jun 13, 2023, 03:49:16 PM

Author
Alien: Romulus to be released theatrically on Aug. 16, 2024 (Read 32,215 times)

[cancerblack]

Personally I fell asleep during Don't Breath. Twice. But that may have been mostly the premise and characters.

Necronomicon II

nanison

Well I hope it doesn't have that much gore, it's a suspense action series not a gore fest. Besides gore stopped being fun about 25 years ago because it got too realistic compared with 80s gore which was just plain rubbery fun.

So as far as evil dead goes, the original is absolutely the movie to go too imo, this remake takes all the fun out of it.

Eal

I guess it depends on whether you come from the Jay Bauman or Mike Stoklassa school when it comes to realistic gore.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: nanison on Jun 26, 2023, 10:29:24 AMWell I hope it doesn't have that much gore, it's a suspense action series not a gore fest. Besides gore stopped being fun about 25 years ago because it got too realistic compared with 80s gore which was just plain rubbery fun.

So as far as evil dead goes, the original is absolutely the movie to go too imo, this remake takes all the fun out of it.

I think we need to delineate between gore as an aspect of body horror, and on-screen violence leading directly to gore. Seeing the result is different to seeing it happen, and there's a big difference between something like that taking inspiration from say, The Thing or a certain Swiss surrealist, and just having limbs chopped off all over the place.

SiL

Make chestbursting the centrepiece again.

The adult killing people is kind of dull and perfunctory after a while. Bursting's the real horror show.

Local Trouble

Yeah.  It was Ripley's worst fear throughout the original trilogy for good reason.

Kradan

Quote from: caffeine4671 on Jun 26, 2023, 05:27:43 PMI guess it depends on whether you come from the Jay Bauman or Mike Stoklassa school when it comes to realistic gore.

Could you elaborate on that ?

Local Trouble

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 26, 2023, 10:01:59 PM
Quote from: caffeine4671 on Jun 26, 2023, 05:27:43 PMI guess it depends on whether you come from the Jay Bauman or Mike Stoklassa school when it comes to realistic gore.

Don't ask questions!  Just consume product and get excited for next product! >:(

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Quote from: SiL on Jun 26, 2023, 09:07:16 PMMake chestbursting the centrepiece again.

The adult killing people is kind of dull and perfunctory after a while. Bursting's the real horror show.

Yep agreed, the original made me lose my appetite as a wee lad, and the cocooned woman burster in Aliens was genuinely horrifying. Horner's score really amps up the intensity there too.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 26, 2023, 11:50:16 PM

Don't ask questions!  Just consume product and get excited for next product! >:(

Elaborate on that.

David Lynch: No.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jun 26, 2023, 11:51:06 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jun 26, 2023, 09:07:16 PMMake chestbursting the centrepiece again.

Yep agreed, the original made me lose my appetite as a wee lad, and the cocooned woman burster in Aliens was genuinely horrifying. Horner's score really amps up the intensity there too.

For me, the most horrible part was what we didn't see: all the kids who got cocooned and suffered a horrible death by chestburster.  Bonus points if their parents had to watch.

Eal

Bauman, the shorter guy with the beard from RLM that always seems upbeat has a penchant for obscure indie movies and very depressing horror movies, including graphic ones. Mike Stoklassa, the taller guy from RLM who always sounds drunk likes Friday the 13th, but is more of an upbeat person, movie-taste-wise; he'd opt for more of a splatter comedy than something that Jay Bauman would pick, although they'd both probably enjoy it in the end.

Necronomicon II

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 27, 2023, 12:07:38 AM
Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jun 26, 2023, 11:51:06 PM

For me, the most horrible part was what we didn't see: all the kids who got cocooned and suffered a horrible death by chestburster.  Bonus points if their parents had to watch.

Yup truly f**ked up, that's the kind of messed up, sick "gore" I want to see; disgusting hive body horror leaving your imagination to go to dark places to infer what happened.

SiL

See the gore or leave it to the imagination, pick one.

Necronomicon II

It's not either/or; you can see a gory aftermath rife with twisted body horror that leaves questions as to what exactly happened, for example, leaving the viewer to make inferences and fill in blanks.   

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed