Film Reviews - AvPGalaxy's Own Critics!

Started by Secret Hero, Mar 07, 2008, 07:25:42 PM

Author
Film Reviews - AvPGalaxy's Own Critics! (Read 275,830 times)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Dogma Review

Plot: 85%

The movie is about a girl named Bethany Sloane who is abortion clinic worker with a special heritage is called upon by God and got a message from Metatron to go to New Jersey to save the universe from two Angels that are trying go to back to Heaven but if they do that then it will prove God wrong and everything will fall apart. She is plan to go New Jersey as she will made two prophets name Jay and Silent Bob that will help her on her quest as she will meet Rufus who is the thirteenth apostle that will also help her to the save the universe from evil. I really enjoy the story a lot since it was funny, dark and original at the same time. Kevin Smith does it again with his screenplay writing since he is know for his other movies like Mall Rats and Clerks which came out couple of years before Dogma was release in 1999. The dark humor is the best part of the movie since it full of extremely foul-mouthed, and hilarious obscene phrases. The satire of the movie is religion it self and the movie has a anti religion and anti Catholicism message. Since it a movie it not mean to be serious and most people will take it too personal if they watch it, but I would say that this movie is the Doctor Stangelove of Religion since Doctor Stangelove had a anti nuclear message behind it and it made fun of it just like Dogma would do with Catholicism. The Characters them self are well done and they may not be the best characters that Kevin Smith made but their very likeable, and most of them are funny too like Rufus played Chirs Rock, and you have Jay and Silent Bob that appear in Kevin Smith other movies like Clerks, Mallrats and Chasing Amy. They also had their own movie in 2001 also called "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back".  If you seen them in Kevin Smith other movies then you would know that their drug dealers, mainly marijuana, who spend most of their time standing in front of stores selling their product which makes them funny.

VFX: 70%

The visual effects are nice and not too bad for a 90's movie since the movie is almost 10 years old, some of the visual effects still look decent. The CGI that they used for the wings on Metatron, Bartleby and Loki look ok but nothing state of the art or anything since the movie had a $10,000,000 budget which is a lot lower then most movies that cameout that the time of the release like End of Days and The World is Not Enough. Dogma is not of those movies that is based on visual effects but more on the story, if you want to see Terminator 2 or Matrix visual effects then you are watching the wrong movie. Their is a scene where the Hockey kids can rip a hole in time & space which looks awful since you can tell it done on a bad green screen. The Camera work is nice and their no flaw with that also. The visual effects are not great but not a direct to TV visuals neither.

SFX: 77%

The sound effects are nice and nothing to say about them really since the sound audio sounds no different from any other movie. The gun fire is loud and realistic, the music score done by Howard Shore (The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring ) is good too, and I did like the ending music theme which I think he did a good job at. I never really care for the film scores in movies unless it loud and playing at it point where it can be stuck in your head for good like the theme for Jaws. The music score is average and nothing to say about it other then it good and download it if you enjoy it.

Acting: 76%

The acting is very good and the actors lines in the movie where well written too. Ben Affleck (Daredevil, Good Will Hunting) and Matt Damon (The Departed, Saving Private Ryan) where great as the lead villains in the movie and had some funny moments too. They pull it off well enough as two fallen angels and the movie also has Chris Rock (Lethal Weapon 4, Bad Company), Linda Fiorentino (Men in Black, Jade), and Alan Rickman (Play as Professor Severus Snape in the Harry Potter series) as the main roles in the story which they all did a great job in the movie. Linda Fiorentino was a bit wooden at some points in the movie but every one where able to pull a great funny roles in the movie, and Chris Rock might have been the funniest person in the movie without a doubt. Jason Lee () also play as Satan and he was pretty good at the role too. He should have been a bit more evil though, but the overall cast and acting is solid.

Violence: 32%

The movie is not too violent and does have some blood moments where people get shot for no reason at all and their a scene where Bartleby snaps a person neck in half, and a person falls out of the sky then gets smash into the ground. The movie is Rated R due to the humor and sex-related dialogue. I would not let kids watch this movie though.

Overall: 84%

Overall Dogma is a kick ass movie and I enjoy the hell of it many times. I seen it before on TV like a few years ago and did not like it since I did not understand it but seeing it now makes each viewing better. The acting is good, the humor is great, the dark setting works great with the movie as well. The movie is one hell of a ride and thoughtful viewing experience that both old and new fans  of Kevin Smith will enjoy. If you like Kevin Smiths other movies or want to see a new comedy then check this movie out. The movie is worth your money and time, this is the best Kevin Smith movie since Clerks in my opinion.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Someone do a review of Faust: Love of the Damned. It's based on a comic book created by David Quinn and Tim Vigil. It was directed by Brain Yuzna.

I didn't care for it to much but I would like to see someone else take a crack at it.

Nachtfalke

Nachtfalke

'EVIL DEAD'

Certainly one of the most unique and plainly gorey films made, EVIL DEAD takes the undead/zombie angle in a different direction.
The acting may not be award winning by any stretch, but the content, style and scares are the real strong points here.
So, let's examine what makes ED so appealing to not just horror buffs, but teenage couples of all generations when they look for a good fright flick on a Saturday night.

The most striking element is the film's style. Sam Raimi has an original style that is perfected in his very next film, not surprisingly the sequel, Evil Dead 2.
The style is not your normal meat and potatoes direction - quirky angles, strange noises, extreme close-ups and off kilter shots really help un-nerve and discomfort the audience.
This helps make the scares and gore more terrifying and horrific.

The story seems to start fairly formulaic as a group of friends look to stay at a deserted cabin, but soon becomes less contemporary as the Demons rise to posess the living (later known colectively as Deadites). It seems to be familiar territory, but somehow it still seems remarkably fresh and brash. The 'tree rape' for example still evokes a nervous terror filled giggle from audiences.
The end is one of the classic cliffhangers of horror cinema and whilst used at the start of ED2, it is almost glossed over as ED2 swiftly and simply retells the opeing of the first film - munis the large cast in favour of one girl and Ash, the hero of film one. It goes without saying that this caused some confusion upon release of ED2.

The title in its unedited form is 'Evil Dead: The Ultimate Experience In Gruelling Terror' and in that it doesn't flounder, the gore effects still hold up well today, even the stop motion scene of melting Deadites still grosses people out today, as does the infamous stabbing of a character's ankle with a pencil - arguably one horror's most iconic scenes.

In conclusion, overall, and from my point of view as someone who isn't really a horror buff, its quite entertaining and of course still chills. Along with Hellraiser its one of the few Horrors in my collection that did indeed grab me for its style and originality. As a fun and scary genre film it garners a 7.2/10, or 72% if you will, despite the quite hideous acting from over 50% of the cast, which inturn shows how important the style and direction is in making it a classic.

Secret Hero

Thank you so much for the review, Nachtfalke.

It gives the hype of renting this film.

----------------------------------

Watching movies is totally fun, especially a movie with a mixed genre which make it unique. I'm not really a fan of the films of Walt Becker, but his film "Wild Hogs" just made my day worth the living. I mean, a film consist good soundtracks, casts, and bikes, not just bikes but big bikes like the "Harley".

The Movie

WILD HOGS tells a story of four suburban people deciding to rev up their routine suburban lives with a freewheeling road trip. Doug, Bobby, Dudley, and Woody, these four "Wild Hogs" crossed paths with the fearless and infamous group of bikers, Del Fuegos, which made Madrid to be the ring of these two group of bikers.

The life of the four Wild Hog is the center of them all. Doug (Tim Allen), a dentist that has problem of his LDL, Bobby (Martin Lawrence), a wild hog who is afraid of his wife and got a horrible job at the Firm, Dudley (William Macey), a geek or let's put it simply: a Computer Programmer, that had issues on talking or having a conversation with a woman, Woody, the worst of them all who got divorced from his successful swimsuit model wife and got broke. Woody is John Travolta, and the head of the Del Fuegos which makes their trip to be interesting is Jack, role of Ray Liotta.

The acting is good, plain good. The cast did a nice job of showing their assigned character to life. There is a little problem of William Macey's role though, if you observe "Dudley" closely, you may notice that he is just a plain geek with no other act. Just plain stupid, that's all. The screenplay is terrific, nothing is better than that right? The film is kind of shallow but nice though for a 2007 film.

WILD HOGS is one of the exciting movies of 2007 by Walt Becker. Honestly, this is the first film of Walt Becker that I have ever seen. But hey, I liked it and I'm sure that you will too.

5 out of 10.

War Wager

War Wager

I want to see that so bad ^

Plot: 7/10

A prequel to the first movie, the story follows Lucian and his place in the vampire coven which is lead Viktor. Born differently than other Lycans, he can change back and forth between Werewolf and Human whenever he wishes and poses strength and agility never seen before. Enslaved and working as a blacksmith in the vampire fortress, he starts a relationship with Viktors beautiful daughter Sonja. His love for her knows no bounds and she feels the same. After making a daring escape in which he leads a few his fellow enslaved Lycans out of the castle, he summons the help of pure Lycans (werewolves that can't change back into humans) living outside the walls to help in a huge assault in the hope of over throwing the vampires forever.

The only downside to the story is that if you have seen U1 and U2, you basically know how it ends.

Spoiler
Sonja is killed by sunlight, and Viktor doesn't really die
[close]

VFX: 8/10

In keeping with the previous Underworlds, ROTL has the same visual styles and look. Very limited colours, with deep blues, blacks and greys making the majority of the scenes. Looks great though, really works well with the whole medieval setting and dark tone. The CG in the first and second flicks was average/good at best, but they've really upped their game with this one. With a bigger budget, they've produced some excellent effects, particularly the Lycans. Seeing them flip effortlessly between trees and racing full pelt across open fields in their hundreds is great.

SFX: 8/10

Really great audio and soundtrack, not much else to say.

Acting: 7/10

The acting has always been a strong point in these movies and this continues here. Rhona Mitra (Doomsday) puts in a good performance as Sonja and Bill Nighy (Shaun of the Dead) clearly enjoys himself as her crazed father Viktor. By far the strongest performance is from Micheal Sheen who plays Lucian, he really makes you feel for his character and his sympathise with his motives.

Sex: 5/10

Theres a brief sex scene between Lucian and Sonja, but it's basically slow flashes that don't reveal and 'bits'. Still, it's a sex scene.

Violence: 8/10

By far the most brutal of the movies, gorehounds will be happy with all the decapitations, impaling and generally bloody mayhem. The sight left after Lucian receives a back lashing with a bladed whip is pretty nasty.

Overall: 8/10

By far my favourite of the three. I never really expected much of this because the first two weren't really that good anyway, but I was pretty impressed with this. I liked how it was more from the Lycans point of view this time around and makes you realise that you've basically been following the real villians in U1 and 2. Just as talky' as the others, but moves along at a nice pace that I was never bored. The end battle is pretty smart, with the Lycans finally getting some violent payback after (or in this case, before) their pwnage in the other two movies. I'd absolutely recommend checking this out, even if you didn't think much of the first two because it's very different. My favourite movie of 2009 thus far. 

TJ Doc

Star Trek
I would like to stress that when I walked into Star Trek I had very little knowledge of its past. Of course, I knew that there was a 60s show with William ('The Shat') Shatner playing Captain Kirk; and Leonard Nimoy wearing pointy ears as this guy called Spock who did this thing with his fingers that looked like this: \\//. I had also seen two of the previous films in the theatrical series, namely Star Trek: Insurrection, and Star Trek: Nemesis. Ask any serious 'Trekkie' and they'll tell you that those aforementioned instalments were, in a phrase, bantha poodoo. You see, I had always fallen into the 'Star Wars' camp, believing George Lucas's vision of a Sci-Fi fantasy galaxy to be the definitive vision of the future (well, past in his case). But I was determined to view this latest entry, this 'reboot' of the franchise. Why? Well, did you read any of the reviews? Simply put, it's been the most critically praised film since The Dark Knight. Anyway, I had high hopes for something that I knew next to nothing about, and yet for some reason was feeling rather excited about.

My newness to Star Trek was horrifyingly made clear when the person I was sitting next to let out an excited "Ooooh!" when a notably audible BLEEP sound was emitted from the hull of a looming starship right at the start of the pre-title sequence. However, all my fears left me as the film kicked off with one of the most aggressive space battles I had seen in a film for quite some time. As if all the death and destruction wasn't enough (an electrical storm, super rockets, and people being sucked out into the vacuum of space!), they even threw a birth into the mix. That 'birth' was of a certain baby Kirk, and believe me when I say that by the time the end credits roll, he will have had one hell of a ride... and so will we.

Acting as a prequel/reboot (and, in some ways, a sequel) to the past films and television series, we are naturally taken through the early stages of Kirk's life (including a relatively pointless bit of 'vintage' vehicular destruction) as well as Spock's. If there's one thing that you'll learn from this film, it's that you don't fu#k with young Spock! At this point you may be thinking that this could be a painfully slow-moving film with a ton of build-up to its more spectacular sequences. But that's the beauty of Star Trek. The pace never lets up. There is never a dull moment. It is constantly, always, continuously engaging. This isn't just because of a string of awesome action scenes (though there are plenty, with a brawl on top of a drilling platform thousands of feet high in the air about half way through the picture being a definite highlight), though. Indeed, much of the fun that this film exerts comes from watching the two leads: Chris Pine and Zachary (OMG SYLAR!) Quinto as Kirk and Spock respectively. Something just seems to... click when they're on screen, be they together or apart, and present themselves as exceptional co-stars. But while Pine comes across as the roughish love child of Han Solo and Luke Skywalker, Quinto excels as the half human, half Vulcan (pointy ears, raised eyebrows, bowl haircut) struggling to come to terms with his mixed origins. Even the supporting cast manage to turn heads, with Simon Pegg managing to inject some much-needed comic relief at certain points as Scotty.

But there must be something wrong with it, right? Unfortunately yes. Fortunately though, it's a very minor niggle. The problem lies with the villain, Nero, played by Eric Bana. He's a Romulan (greeny-yellow skin, also has pointy ears, Darth Maul facial tattoos) who's travelled through time with the intention of exacting revenge on poor Spock. I will not reveal why for fear of spoilers, but it all makes for an interesting storyline. Now, Bana is a fine actor and he carries out the emotionally distressed Nero very well... when he's actually on screen. As much as I liked watching the crew of the Enterprise banter away, I kept on thinking: Where's Nero? Is Nero going to appear soon? NERO PLEASE! A great Sci-Fi film needs a great villain (cough Vader cough), and while I liked what Bana did with the part, I just wanted more. But like I said, that's a very minor niggle.

To sum up, Star Trek is an all round fantastic Sci-Fi movie that has been built from the ground-up to cater for all tastes, whether you be a hardcore Trek enthusiast or not. Go see it for yourself and experience the remarkable sense of enjoyment and likability that it emits. As for the director, a certain J.J. Abrams, may he live long and prosper.

4.5/5

TJ Doc

I apologise for not keeping to the traditional percentage system, but I believe that by presenting the Star Trek review in that fashion, I can give a more meaningful account of the film.

Vulhala

Nice review mate!  :)

TJ Doc

Quote from: Vulhala on May 29, 2009, 04:06:17 PM
Nice review mate!  :)

:o Thanks very much!

I'll attempt to put up some more at later dates. It'll probably be a mix of new(ish) cinema releases and DVD favourites.

XenoVC

Quote from: War Wager on May 19, 2009, 06:56:22 PM
I want to see that so bad ^

http://www.shockya.com/news/wp-content/uploads/underworld_rise_of_the_lycans_movie_poster2.jpg

Plot: 7/10

A prequel to the first movie, the story follows Lucian and his place in the vampire coven which is lead Viktor. Born differently than other Lycans, he can change back and forth between Werewolf and Human whenever he wishes and poses strength and agility never seen before. Enslaved and working as a blacksmith in the vampire fortress, he starts a relationship with Viktors beautiful daughter Sonja. His love for her knows no bounds and she feels the same. After making a daring escape in which he leads a few his fellow enslaved Lycans out of the castle, he summons the help of pure Lycans (werewolves that can't change back into humans) living outside the walls to help in a huge assault in the hope of over throwing the vampires forever.

The only downside to the story is that if you have seen U1 and U2, you basically know how it ends.

Spoiler
Sonja is killed by sunlight, and Viktor doesn't really die
[close]

VFX: 8/10

In keeping with the previous Underworlds, ROTL has the same visual styles and look. Very limited colours, with deep blues, blacks and greys making the majority of the scenes. Looks great though, really works well with the whole medieval setting and dark tone. The CG in the first and second flicks was average/good at best, but they've really upped their game with this one. With a bigger budget, they've produced some excellent effects, particularly the Lycans. Seeing them flip effortlessly between trees and racing full pelt across open fields in their hundreds is great.

SFX: 8/10

Really great audio and soundtrack, not much else to say.

Acting: 7/10

The acting has always been a strong point in these movies and this continues here. Rhona Mitra (Doomsday) puts in a good performance as Sonja and Bill Nighy (Shaun of the Dead) clearly enjoys himself as her crazed father Viktor. By far the strongest performance is from Micheal Sheen who plays Lucian, he really makes you feel for his character and his sympathise with his motives.

Sex: 5/10

Theres a brief sex scene between Lucian and Sonja, but it's basically slow flashes that don't reveal and 'bits'. Still, it's a sex scene.

Violence: 8/10

By far the most brutal of the movies, gorehounds will be happy with all the decapitations, impaling and generally bloody mayhem. The sight left after Lucian receives a back lashing with a bladed whip is pretty nasty.

Overall: 8/10

By far my favourite of the three. I never really expected much of this because the first two weren't really that good anyway, but I was pretty impressed with this. I liked how it was more from the Lycans point of view this time around and makes you realise that you've basically been following the real villians in U1 and 2. Just as talky' as the others, but moves along at a nice pace that I was never bored. The end battle is pretty smart, with the Lycans finally getting some violent payback after (or in this case, before) their pwnage in the other two movies. I'd absolutely recommend checking this out, even if you didn't think much of the first two because it's very different. My favourite movie of 2009 thus far. 

I love the 3 Underworld films,they are just....enjoyable.

War Wager

The first two bored me a fair bit.

Übermensch

Quote from: War Wager on May 30, 2009, 12:25:13 PM
The first two bored me a fair bit.

My opinion:

1 was boring, 2 was fun, haven't seen the 3rd one.

Technocide

I saw this movie a while ago and thought it was alright, haven't read any of the comics though.

Storyline - In a post apocalyptic future Earth, most of the remaining population live in overcrowded 'Mega-cities' ruled by a fascist police state known as the Judge system. Enforcing this system are 'judges' filling position as judge, jury and executioner.  Judge Joseph Dredd, the titular and main character, is framed by Judge Rico who is plotting to take-over Megacity One.

Theres quite a few characters I haven't mentioned and I could go on with the plot summarisation but i'll just skip to my opinions on this.  From what I know about the comics, this is a pretty typical Judge Dredd adventure so they couldn't have done this much better. 80%

VisualFX - The Visuals and CGI are pretty damn good, Megacity one is rendered in its massive, futuristic glory with tall, crowding buildings. Hammerstein (from some other 2000AD series) makes an appearance and he looks paticularly good here with his rusty brown plating and black, visible wires, you can really tell its him. Considering it was released in '95 it still looks pretty decent today. 90%

SoundFX - Sound in this movie is as good as it could've been with the just-right whizzing of speedy futuristic vehicles and the sizzling, sparky sound of breaking electronics. 80%

Violence - It isn't that violent, there are a fair number of explosions and maybe the odd bloodspot, the fights and shootouts are fairly brutal though. 30%

Acting - Stallone as Dredd was a poor choice, even if he was popular at the time, he just sounds stupid shouting the famous "I AM THE LAW!!!111!!" quote and was generally hard to take seriously.  Everybody else isn't bad, Rob Schneider is okay as that hacker kid and his jumpy, cowardly personality. 65%

Overall - Its quite an entertaining movie and not a bad attempt at bringing Dredd to the big screen, give it a watch if you've got the time. 75%

Übermensch

^Thanks for reviewing that, the movie is underrated and almost forgotten, but it was a decent flick.

Vanski

I think too Judge Dredd is an underrated movie. It had good comicbook feel and great music by Alan Silvestri.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed