Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot!

Started by 85, Jun 24, 2014, 07:34:28 PM

Author
Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot! (Read 92,270 times)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 25, 2014, 12:23:49 AM
Ok. Where did I say that the new predator film should be anything like a marvel movie? Do you always put words in people's mouths? That's like you saying I said predator 2 has the format of elm street 5.

When you wrote this:

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 24, 2014, 09:29:20 PM
Honestly, y'all should be happy. The dude who directed a big, billion dollar grossing Marvel movie, is taking the reigns of the Predator franchise.

You were essentially saying that someone who's been heavily involved in a Marvel film is automatically a great choice for a 'Predator' film. I was pointing out that the Marvel experience is largely irrelevant, tone-wise.

You can find someone who's raised cattle all their life, but it doesn't mean they'll necessarily be great with a crocodile farm.

For all any of us know, there's an equal chance of it being good, bad or average. Hyping it as guaranteed success is just as bad as damning it as automatic failure.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 25, 2014, 03:59:31 PM
I don't think you comprehend quite how mind-bogglingly stupid the idea of carrying around and firing a minigun is. Next to that, having a few shooters in your trunk is pretty much common sense.

But the viewer tends to buy it. That's what matters. If we took out everything which, from a purely technical point of view, is at least highly unlikely, how many action films out there would survive the cull? We watch them for escapist entertainment value, not because we secretly want to sit through 'Mythbusters'.

The catch is whether the stunt/spectacle/event is conveyed effectively or not. Would Sandra Bullock have been able to leap between those space stations in real life? Hell, no. But you're not going to tell me that technical fact makes 'Gravity' any less compelling/powerful.

QuotePredator 2 is mad, sure. But it's by no means more mad than the first one.

It's infinitely more insane... Where's the equivalent of, say, the old lady who single-handedly manages to destroy the tense atmosphere of the Predator's medical recovery scene with a comical, "I don't think he gives a shit"?

Stuff like that was just plain cringe-worthy.

Magegg

Mmmmh, this thing they say that they want to turn Predator into a "rich mythology" makes me kind of uncomfortable.

I don't think the Predators need a "rich mythology", they have always been these phisically, tactically and technologically superior creatures whose, and that's the basic essence of these monsters. They don't need to turn this into Prometheus.

Unless they have a truly original idea, they're risking on turning the Predators into a generic alien civilization.

SM

QuoteIt's infinitely more insane... Where's the equivalent of, say, the old lady who single-handedly manages to destroy the tense atmosphere of the Predator's medical recovery scene with a comical, "I don't think he gives a shit"?

Every time Shane Black tries to act.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 26, 2014, 01:02:54 AM
Mmmmh, this thing they say that they want to turn Predator into a "rich mythology" makes me kind of uncomfortable.

I don't think the Predators need a "rich mythology", they have always been these phisically, tactically and technologically superior creatures whose, and that's the basic essence of these monsters. They don't need to turn this into Prometheus.

Unless they have a truly original idea, they're risking on turning the Predators into a generic alien civilization.

This, so much. We had a brief glimpse of a Predator homeworld in AvP:R and that was that. I don't want a detailed breakdown of Predator political life :P

KirklandSignature

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jun 26, 2014, 12:31:14 AM
Kinda relieved to hear it's a sequel and not a reboot.

Same here boyfriend.I hope this is a sequel of Predators or an earth based entry as a proper sequel-side quel to Predator.

Magegg

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 26, 2014, 01:25:51 AM

This, so much. We had a brief glimpse of a Predator homeworld in AvP:R and that was that. I don't want a detailed breakdown of Predator political life :P
Yeap. If they turn this into Starcraft, I will lose almost all my interest  -____-

RakaiThwei

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 26, 2014, 01:25:51 AM

I actually agree with this. I just feel that Predator culture has been explored enough as it is already. We already know that they are a clan based society, we know that each clan has different views on hunting and practices in the Hunt, and if you count the AvP films.. we know that they have a Predator-Prey relationship with the Xenomorphs. We've seen the Predator Homeworld (though for some fans, they claim it's colonized world) and we've seen a preserve planet and a sub-species of Predator.

What more could be explore or added onto without having influences of Alien or Prometheus in this?

What do we want to see in this movie? What don't we want to see?

Lemonade

Man you guys are boring. You want the same thing over and over again. I can't wait to see how he expands the universe. This is what I've always wanted.

Magegg

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 26, 2014, 01:55:12 AMWhat do we want to see in this movie? What don't we want to see?
That's exactly the question. In order to make a good sequel (or a new good Predator-featured story) they should have a really good idea, that takes advantage of the essence of the creature, without turning it into something different. Otherwise, it would be a cash-in and that's all.

It's not easy to tell new Predator stories. In Aliens there was a really important human element, in Predator, there isn't, there aren't many themes, simply survival. So you basically have to come with a different angle for the creature.

I think Predators was a good idea (famous human killers transported to another planet), but the movie wasn't great by any means. They have to come up with a really original idea in order to make something worthy of being considered a successor of the first movie.

ShadowPred

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 26, 2014, 01:55:12 AM
What do we want to see in this movie? What don't we want to see?

1. Predator being hunted by humans.

2. No Shokan Warriors.

Blacklabel

Quote from: ShadowPred on Jun 26, 2014, 02:46:38 AM
2. No Shokan Warriors.

....f**kkkkk youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

uuuuuu

uuuu
uu

uu

u.

:laugh: :laugh:

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 26, 2014, 02:44:33 AM
It's not easy to tell new Predator stories. In Aliens there was a really important human element, in Predator, there isn't, there aren't many themes, simply survival. So you basically have to come with a different angle for the creature.

I share this sentiment because of the fact that the first movie was a very simplistic one. It was a modern retelling of Beowulf with elements of The Most Dangerous Game. Predator 2 was a similar concept except that it had expanded more on the Predators by introducing the idea that they are a clan based society, and of course had a code of ethics. PREDATORS... I felt like PREDATORS took more away than gave to the mythology.. With the preserve planet idea, what's the point of going to different worlds and isolating yourself in an alien environment which the Hunter has little to no familiarity or advantage in? From what I understand about Predators, part of the Hunt is about a Hunter challenging themselves to make it sporting. And then there was the idea of the Super Predators which I felt really devalued the original creatures.. And it tried to be the first movie in a sense.

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 26, 2014, 02:44:33 AM
I think Predators was a good idea (famous human killers transported to another planet), but the movie wasn't great by any means. They have to come up with a really original idea in order to make something worthy of being considered a successor of the first movie.

I would have to disagree that PREDATORS was a good idea. There were other scripts out there which I thought were more suited for filming. There was a Predator 3 script where they had a Hunter go after Dutch in New York while in the middle of a blizzard. I would've preferred to have that than PREDATORS. But you are right, where this upcoming sequel will fit in and what it will do all depends on Shane Black and the ideas he has in mind. Hopefully, it's still focused on the Hunt.. and not expanding on Predator culture which is what every sequel has done with mixed reactions.

1. Predator being hunted by humans.

We sort of had that with Predator 2, and we've sort of had that with PREDATORS... However I wouldn't mind something of a Anti-Predator strike team being deployed with acquired information from the Los Angeles incident via a debrief report from Garber. Better prepared human soldiers ready to eliminate Predator threats in different terrains would be interesting.

2. No Shokan Warriors.

Or Super Predators, Predator Kings, Hounds, Falcons, Human-Predator Slave trade relations, Spanish Galleons.

But I trust Shane Black and Fred Dekker to not use any of those ideas.

Hubbs

I've said it twice now and I'll say it again...

Here's a thought, seeing as Arnie is still desperate to make everyone believe he is still young and badass why not offer him Predator 3. While we're at it lets get Glover back too, old man Dutch and old man Harrigan back to fight the Preds. Now wouldn't that be kickass eh, no need for a stupid reboot that will bomb, lets utilise Arnie while we still can and while he's up for it. Sounds like the perfect retro reboot sequel to me.

That's all you need for a solid sequel, bring back the old boys with a few newbies and have them battle it out in a futuristic city on Earth (continuing on from Pred 2) or another planet/colony somewhere (like Aliens).

Or how about they find a Predator colony/planet/moon/base and send the old boys with some newbies to find out what they can and then nuke the site from orbit resulting in a last man standing pitch battle.

RakaiThwei

Hubbs have you been reading the 1994 Rodriguez script?

Lemonade

Quote from: Hubbs on Jun 26, 2014, 03:04:05 AM
I've said it twice now and I'll say it again...

Here's a thought, seeing as Arnie is still desperate to make everyone believe he is still young and badass why not offer him Predator 3. While we're at it lets get Glover back too, old man Dutch and old man Harrigan back to fight the Preds. Now wouldn't that be kickass eh, no need for a stupid reboot that will bomb, lets utilise Arnie while we still can and while he's up for it. Sounds like the perfect retro reboot sequel to me.

That's all you need for a solid sequel, bring back the old boys with a few newbies and have them battle it out in a futuristic city on Earth (continuing on from Pred 2) or another planet/colony somewhere (like Aliens).

Or how about they find a Predator colony/planet/moon/base and send the old boys with some newbies to find out what they can and then nuke the site from orbit resulting in a last man standing pitch battle.

Arnold's not trying to convince anyone he's young and badass. In his recent action movies, he acknowledges the fact that he's old. Can't believe anyone would complain about more Arnold. What kinda movie fans are you?

This also, lol, is not a damn reboot. Hahahaha.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed