Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot!

Started by 85, Jun 24, 2014, 07:34:28 PM

Author
Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot! (Read 93,369 times)

Xan21

Predators felt like some weird alternate universe version of the Original, using a lot of the same one liners and situations (Billy/Hanzo). I find it a pretty mediocre movie, but I did like the Predator designs (until Mr Black's reveal)

Hell-Scorpion

To quote Nathan Explosion, "NNNNNNOOOOOO!"

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Master on Jun 24, 2014, 10:05:34 PM
I just read about it and f**k YEAH I'M HAPPY! I wasn't aware something so good can happen to me this evening. I hope it stays in continuity, but want it to be standalone. Another film in my all time favorite franchise! Yeah! ;D

Honestly, it would be better if they had discarded the old continuity and went with a new one. I honestly think that is what we need. The first movie is regarded as something almost nigh unattainable, and every sequel has tried to match it and ultimately came up short. The thing is.. if this "reboot" is in continuity then it's not a reboot, it's a sequel.

This new film needs to establish it's own bar to set, not reach for one which is considered is almost impossible.

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jun 24, 2014, 10:20:45 PM
On a funny note, Chris Sebela, the guy writing the new AvP comic series, was pooh-poohing this on Twitter, wanting "original ideas." A fine criticism to be sure, but a tad silly given that he's writing the umpteenth entry in the same series.  :laugh:

Probably because it may end up shitting on the comics which he and the writing team are coming up with. Ha ha ha!

Bat Chain Puller

The Predator should just show up halfway through Expendables 3 and kill everyone. Perfect way to end that series.  :laugh:

Can't wait to see what Shame Black has in store for us.

OpenMaw

Almost certainly some witty and whimsical tales regarding female reproductive organs.

Nightmare Asylum

Almost certainly some witty and whimsical tales regarding female reproductive organs.

Xenomorphine

People, keep it civil, please. Be respectful to other forum members, as per the rules.

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 24, 2014, 09:29:20 PM
Lol you read comic books, and asked me if I counted the novelization as canon. Well I intern for an Oscar-winning producer, and get to do script coverage and accept/reject scripts. I think that's better than reading comic books.

Honestly, y'all should be happy. The dude who directed a big, billion dollar grossing Marvel movie, is taking the reigns of the Predator franchise. This isn't the Nightmare on Elm Street 5 dude. Or the Resident Evil dude. Or special fx guys.

This is SHANE BLACK. Get ready to get rocked.

If you truly do any of those things you claim, then what's with the unfounded hype? A Marvel movie is a compeltely different format to what a 'Predator' movie would need and you should realise that if you're actually sifting through scripts and chatting with Hollywood producers all day.

Stuff like 'The Long Kiss Goodnight' was excellent. On the other hand, 'Iron Man 3' has an extremely messy third act and suffers for it. If we get something like the former, then great. If it's more like the latter, all the flashy effects in the world won't detract from the undertone of disappointment it will generate in many people.

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jun 24, 2014, 09:21:26 PM
Predators was already a reboot since it ignores AVP. I think it will be stupid to start over again when Predators is still recent and fresh on most people's minds.

There was no realistic way for it to have referenced that film without seeming like pointless exposition. It never contradicted any of the events.

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 24, 2014, 09:58:38 PM
I think for this one they're finally saying "go big or go home". Enough of these moderately sized movies.

The first one is still easily the best and is pretty much a relatively small-scale film. That's a big part of why it always worked so well. Predators don't suit massive epics very well, because then it switches from playing to their strengths to a generic flashy war thing. They're the epitome of one-one-one, need-to-become-the-beast-to-defeat-the-beast. It's difficult to transfer that symbolism to something massive in scale.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 24, 2014, 11:56:16 PM

Why are yo- OH-HOHOHO... Clever girl.

If Billy were here, he'd laugh too.

Not to be ironic, but I must... Ahem, echo Xenomorphine's final sentiments once again. The sentiment of the original film is based around the idea that all the heavy firepower in the world isn't enough when you're facing something that can out class you in everyway, and the key to defeating the creature is to go as far back to basics as you possibly can. I can't say i've ever been interested in seeing anything more than fleeting glimpses of the larger "Predator" universe. The scene at the end of Predator 2 is about as far as I think you can push that, maybe a little farther, before it starts to seem incredibly disconnected from any kind of reality. I certainly don't want to see 50 predators fighting an all out war somewhere. That would be ridiculous and dumb, and not in a fun sort of b-movie kind of way.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 24, 2014, 11:42:28 PM
Honestly, it would be better if they had discarded the old continuity and went with a new one. I honestly think that is what we need. The first movie is regarded as something almost nigh unattainable, and every sequel has tried to match it and ultimately came up short. The thing is.. if this "reboot" is in continuity then it's not a reboot, it's a sequel.

This new film needs to establish it's own bar to set, not reach for one which is considered is almost impossible.

Probably because it may end up shitting on the comics which he and the writing team are coming up with. Ha ha ha!

Why would that be better? The first movie will always be considered by most to be the best, regardless if the franchise is rebooted or not. How many successful total reboots do you know about? It depends on how you define success. Sure the new Star Trek films are the most financially successful ones in the franchise, and mainstream audiences seem to like them, but many original fans felt they threw away the core elements of what made up Star Trek for a big dumb summer movie. If they want to do a new standalone story then fine, but you want them to completely discard the old continuity? How would they do that? Make the Predator look totally different? Make this out to be the first time the species is ever encountered? A reboot will only set its own bar for those who were never into that franchise before, it will always be compared to earlier films by fans. You laugh at the comic writers being nervous about this, but they put hard work into their art and stories. They have a right to be concerned just as many fans who are passionate about the franchise are. You're saying that because no Predator sequel can top the first (which by the way, is only a matter of opinion. Many Aliens fans say the sequel topped the first while others say it ruined the creature) they should just get rid of everything, all the weapons, characteristics, and history of the beloved character and have something completely different with "Predator" slapped on it? Well then it's not really a Predator film anymore now is it? Predators deserved a sequel. And if FOX f**ks this up for some big stupid PG-13 action fest, I'm gonna experience a new level of disappointment.

Spoonman101

@Nightmare Asylum and Openmaw

Genius....

MudButt

Well I'll be damned..

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 25, 2014, 12:10:00 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 24, 2014, 11:56:16 PM

Why are yo- OH-HOHOHO... Clever girl.

If Billy were here, he'd laugh too.

:D

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 25, 2014, 12:10:00 AM
Not to be ironic, but I must... Ahem, echo Xenomorphine's final sentiments once again. The sentiment of the original film is based around the idea that all the heavy firepower in the world isn't enough when you're facing something that can out class you in everyway, and the key to defeating the creature is to go as far back to basics as you possibly can. I can't say i've ever been interested in seeing anything more than fleeting glimpses of the larger "Predator" universe. The scene at the end of Predator 2 is about as far as I think you can push that, maybe a little farther, before it starts to seem incredibly disconnected from any kind of reality. I certainly don't want to see 50 predators fighting an all out war somewhere. That would be ridiculous and dumb, and not in a fun sort of b-movie kind of way.

Yup, agreed.

Predator 2's ending and, to some extent, Predators (I liked the ideas of the hounds and stickman, and the concept of the planet, even the 'super Predators'-- the execution was a pretty lacking on most counts, but the ideas were very interesting in concept) did a pretty good job expanding that world, but I can't really imagine how much more they can expand things before the become too silly. At this point I think dialing things back might be the best option. More focus on character, less spectacle. And then, if it works, maybe tease us with some new, interesting skull at the end. :P

Quote from: Spoonman101 on Jun 25, 2014, 12:17:28 AM
@Nightmare Asylum and Openmaw

Genius....

KiramidHead

With talent like this on board, consider me intrigued. Black hasn't really written or directed a bad movie yet, and Dekker has done some fine work as well.

Vrastal

As long as they dont try retelling predator 1,2 stories it would be interesting. but i have no idea how they could do a good one

Lemonade

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 24, 2014, 11:58:22 PM
People, keep it civil, please. Be respectful to other forum members, as per the rules.

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 24, 2014, 09:29:20 PM
Lol you read comic books, and asked me if I counted the novelization as canon. Well I intern for an Oscar-winning producer, and get to do script coverage and accept/reject scripts. I think that's better than reading comic books.

Honestly, y'all should be happy. The dude who directed a big, billion dollar grossing Marvel movie, is taking the reigns of the Predator franchise. This isn't the Nightmare on Elm Street 5 dude. Or the Resident Evil dude. Or special fx guys.

This is SHANE BLACK. Get ready to get rocked.

If you truly do any of those things you claim, then what's with the unfounded hype? A Marvel movie is a compeltely different format to what a 'Predator' movie would need and you should realise that if you're actually sifting through scripts and chatting with Hollywood producers all day.

Stuff like 'The Long Kiss Goodnight' was excellent. On the other hand, 'Iron Man 3' has an extremely messy third act and suffers for it. If we get something like the former, then great. If it's more like the latter, all the flashy effects in the world won't detract from the undertone of disappointment it will generate in many people.

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jun 24, 2014, 09:21:26 PM
Predators was already a reboot since it ignores AVP. I think it will be stupid to start over again when Predators is still recent and fresh on most people's minds.

There was no realistic way for it to have referenced that film without seeming like pointless exposition. It never contradicted any of the events.

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 24, 2014, 09:58:38 PM
I think for this one they're finally saying "go big or go home". Enough of these moderately sized movies.

The first one is still easily the best and is pretty much a relatively small-scale film. That's a big part of why it always worked so well. Predators don't suit massive epics very well, because then it switches from playing to their strengths to a generic flashy war thing. They're the epitome of one-one-one, need-to-become-the-beast-to-defeat-the-beast. It's difficult to transfer that symbolism to something massive in scale.

Ok. Where did I say that the new predator film should be anything like a marvel movie? Do you always put words in people's mouths? That's like you saying I said predator 2 has the format of elm street 5.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed