Last Movie You Watched Part 1

Started by Ratchetcomand, Dec 08, 2007, 05:28:17 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched Part 1 (Read 1,090,517 times)

wolfboy22

Cal427eb

Aeus

Aeus

Predator.

You guys might have seen it.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

The Omen

Jesus. It's been a few years since I last saw the original film, but I'd forgotten just how unnerving it is. Maybe it was to do with my viewing conditions. Here I am - sitting up close to my laptop with my back to the door, and the lights are switched off. The sound was up too.

Now they say that that is the recommended way to watch a horror movie if you want it to truly succeed in scaring you. They were right; The Omen really got to me. It's all about atmosphere, with extreme closeups of peoples' eyes partially covered in shadow, steady shots complemented with superb lighting, and Gothic choir chanting. Of course, there are also long periods of time without any music whatsoever, but those moments are often even more suspenseful because of it! Everything comes together to create an air of pure dread.

And it works! This is from a completely different school of horror to, say, something like Halloween. Whereas that movie gradually (and excellently) built up tension before unleashing a BOO! scare, The Omen is comprised wholly of suspense. This doesn't try to make you jump; rather, it simply keeps you in a state of constant insecurity. But when the horror does indeed come, it leaves you with your eyes wide open in shock (instead of making you rocket up into the air by about five inches). After that, you're taken straight back to the movie's unrelenting grip of fear.

But at the end of it all, you'll still be asking yourself why Doctor Who didn't just take a step to the right!

*looks over shoulder*
5/5

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Over the Past Weekend...

Die Hard: 4 out of 4
The Fugitive: 4 out of 4
12 Monkeys: 3 out of 4 - had never seen it before. Was certainly interesting but i wasn't too blown away by anything. Maybe it looks too much like the mid-90's for me - lol

The Demon

The Demon

Halloween 20 Years Later

Great sequel. Not crazy about Michael's performance. It was too much of a mockery.  :-X But everything else was fine.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Damien: Omen II

Lance Henriksen is in it. That alone lands the film a mark. Other than that, however, this is a by-the-numbers sequel. That doesn't make it bad though, it's just a shame to see this movie fail to deliver the same sense of horror that its predecessor did.

The emphasis here is on the death scenes. Not only are there more of them, but they are also more spectacular. But while the gore-factor is ratcheted up a notch it's good to see that Damien: Omen II doesn't try to drown is in man-juice. Most of the kills are relatively blood-free, and this works to its advantage since the build up to these murders is expertly carried out, resulting in an intense sequence.

The performances are also strong (like in the original), and the actors manage to carry the story rather well. This is surprising, considering how the "story" only amounts to a sequence of deaths intended to keep our attention from wandering. It's not without its plot holes either (how did the daggers get back to Bugenhagen?); although that is only a minor complaint.

Lance!
3/5

SabreWolf

SabreWolf

Lord of War on Foxtel (cable in Aus)

Good entertainment for a thursday night

The Demon

The Demon

Dawn of the Dead (original)

Yes.. again.

EEV2650

EEV2650

Forest Gump

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Cal427eb on Oct 13, 2009, 12:38:57 AM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Oct 13, 2009, 12:35:29 AM
Quote from: Cal427eb on Oct 12, 2009, 08:45:13 PM
Peter Jackson's King Kong 7/10
The Pacifier 8/10
Uhhh.. what?
Peter Jackson's King Kong is the one directed by Peter Jackson.

And The Pacifier is a movie Vin Disiel is in.
I know that- it's the ratings that got me confused.

Lt. Mike Harrigan

Lt. Mike Harrigan

Vacancy - 7/10

Vulhala

Vulhala

Black Hawk Down 10/10

I honestly think it's the best war movie ever made.

EEV2650

EEV2650

I just got done watching 'We were soldiers'

Awesome movie. It's got a really good soundtrack as well which is what i have known it for for a long time.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Oct 16, 2009, 06:00:17 AM
Quote from: Cal427eb on Oct 13, 2009, 12:38:57 AM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Oct 13, 2009, 12:35:29 AM
Quote from: Cal427eb on Oct 12, 2009, 08:45:13 PM
Peter Jackson's King Kong 7/10
The Pacifier 8/10
Uhhh.. what?
Peter Jackson's King Kong is the one directed by Peter Jackson.

And The Pacifier is a movie Vin Disiel is in.
I know that- it's the ratings that got me confused.
For which movie?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed