Last Movie You Watched Part 1

Started by Ratchetcomand, Dec 08, 2007, 05:28:17 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched Part 1 (Read 1,078,680 times)

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

No, no. I mean he remade the pit scene that was supposed to be in the 1933 one but it was cut and lost. You know, black and white, monster puppets. I'm having a hard time finding it.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Oh, misunderstood. No, haven't seen that one. Remember reading it was cut out because test audiences found it too horrifying. Really wanna see it.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

I first saw it in the special feautures of my DVD copy and I saw it on youtube some time ago, for some reason I can't find it again.

No luck, but it's pretty cool, it also shows why the crew didn't just walk off the log when Kong showed up.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Cabin in the Woods - 8.5/10

Cvalda

Cvalda

Young Adult

The combined forces of Charlize Theron and Patton Oswald manage to overcome the bland professionalism and broad strokes directing style of Jason Reitman, to create something surprisingly moving. I now forgive Diablo Cody for the atrocity that was Juno.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Apr 14, 2012, 07:04:59 PM
King Kong (1933)

After being shamed out of the 'Best Movie Decade' thread for not having seen this, I decided I should check it out. And boy, am I glad I did. As always with films this old, it took me a little while to get into the right mood for watching it (have to get used to the different acting styles, orchestration, cinematography, etc.), but once I did, it just took me along for the ride. I think most people are fairly familiar with the story, so I'll skip the summary.

The special effects in this were superb. Even now, the action sequences had me on the edge of my seat, heart pounding. They were simply fantastic. The standout for me was definitely the t-rex fight; so gorram badass, it was at least as good as the modern interpretation of that encounter.

One thing I didn't like was the lack of characterization for most of the cast. I just didn't get much of a feel for anybody in the movie, which is one thing Jackson's remake really did well. It would've made the already intense scenes even better, giving me an emotional involvement and attachment to the characters onscreen. The only thing better than a giant monster killing people is a giant monster killing people that I don't want to see die.

Overall, this definitely deserves its status as a classic of cinema. If you have yet to see it, I highly suggest that you do.

And now I wanna watch the remake again. Guess I'll clear four hours from my schedule...
Goooood!

Totally agree about the lack of characterization, that was always one of the factors that made me like Jackson's King Kong (both the movie and character) much more. I still cannot feel anything for 33's Kong... but 76's much less.  :laugh:

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Apr 14, 2012, 08:39:11 PM
Think I'm one of the few people who didn't find it overlong.
Thank god; it's epic length I also found to be entirely fitting. A story worth telling at such a length... and one of my favorite movies.

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 15, 2012, 05:57:56 AM
Young Adult

The combined forces of Charlize Theron and Patton Oswald manage to overcome the bland professionalism and broad strokes directing style of Jason Reitman, to create something surprisingly moving. I now forgive Diablo Cody for the atrocity that was Juno.
Was gonna see that in theaters, but never found the time- so thanks for the inadvertant heads up that it's available to rent now.  ;)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Apr 15, 2012, 07:11:06 AM
Thank god; it's epic length I also found to be entirely fitting. A story worth telling at such a length... and one of my favorite movies.
Mah eternal bro.

Ghostbusters
Bought it on Blu-Ray at last! YES! Love it all.
Note: as a kid the library ghost was definitely scarier -- in fact I remembered it quite different to what was actually onscreen.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Totally agree about the lack of characterization, that was always one of the factors that made me like Jackson's King Kong (both the movie and character) much more. I still cannot feel anything for 33's Kong... but 76's much less.  :laugh:

I felt something for him. Definitely not near the same extent as Jackson's, though.

The thing I felt was missing the most were characterizations of the crewmembers. The only one that really got any (other than Jack) was the Chinese cook, and all I found out about him was he was getting f**king tired of f**king potatoes.

Yeah. It's weird; I know it's one of the longest movies I've ever watched, but everytime I've seen it, it's never really felt long. The pacing was just so spot-on that everything flows beautifully from one sequence to another. New York to the boat, the boat to the island, the island back to New York. I found each segment equally interesting in its own unique way.

But the "Skull Island Dramatic Typing of DOOM!" was kinda stupid. :laugh:

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Apr 15, 2012, 08:59:58 AM
But the "Skull Island Dramatic Typing of DOOM!" was kinda stupid. :laugh:
Spoiler
ESS

KAY

YOU

ELL ELL

Spoiler
Island

[close]
[close]

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Night of the Living Dead
Dawn on the Dead
Tow of the three greatest zombie films ever made. Great atmosphere, great subtext and great characters make for memorable experiences in both cases.
Cine-Meter, 10/10
Mono-Meter, 10/10

Land of the Dead
Not that good follow up to Romero's original trilogy. This is hardly a terrible film however. Entertaining but average romp and probably the last watchable film Romero will be doing for a while. I have not seen Diary or Survival. By all accounts, they are pretty bad.
Cine-Meter, 6/10
Mono-Meter, 6.8/10

Plan on watching Day next weekend.

Titanic
I am one of the few people here to love this film. I got caught up in the hate for it for quite some time, but watching it again I realize just how good it really is. I went into this not knowing what to expect as it had been a number of years since I last saw it. A modest expert on the real life event, I cannot help but appreciate Cameron's attention to even the smallest details, though he does take a few liberties here and there, most notably in Murdoch's suicide. The acting is good and it becomes clear that Leo is going places. The music is good, the cinematography is exquisite, the editing is tight and effective. Stylistically, the film is perfect, or about as close to being perfect without actually being perfect as you can get. Maybe the romance is derivative, maybe it received too many Oscars, maybe the manias it started were irritating, but that is all over now. As a film, it works and then some.
Watched this at home and not in 3D.
Cine-Meter, 10/10
Mono-Meter, 10/10

Shasvre

Shasvre

I love Titanic as well. Will be seeing it on the big screen in just a few days. :)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: TheMonolith on Apr 15, 2012, 02:03:08 PM
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn on the Dead
Tow of the three greatest zombie films ever made. Great atmosphere, great subtext and great characters make for memorable experiences in both cases.
Cine-Meter, 10/10
Mono-Meter, 10/10

I still need to see Dawn. Saw Night not too long ago, and loved it!

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Quote from: Laufey on Apr 15, 2012, 02:05:31 PM
I love Titanic as well. Will be seeing it on the big screen in just a few days. :)
Titanic and The Poseidon Adventure are my two favorite disaster films.
Interestingly enough, both had similar problems during production. Both were projected to be mega bombs. Both films even ahd similar nicknames during production. Poseidon was called Irwin's Folly and Titanic was called Cameron's Folly. And both films turned out being awesome.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 15, 2012, 02:06:25 PM
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn on the Dead
Two of the three greatest zombie films ever made. Great atmosphere, great subtext and great characters make for memorable experiences in both cases.
Cine-Meter, 10/10
Mono-Meter, 10/10

I still need to see Dawn. Saw Night not too long ago, and loved it!
Night, Dawn and Day. All three are either pretty good or just plain awesome.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Titanic
I am one of the few people here to love this film. I got caught up in the hate for it for quite some time, but watching it again I realize just how good it really is. I went into this not knowing what to expect as it had been a number of years since I last saw it. A modest expert on the real life event, I cannot help but appreciate Cameron's attention to even the smallest details, though he does take a few liberties here and there, most notably in Murdoch's suicide. The acting is good and it becomes clear that Leo is going places. The music is good, the cinematography is exquisite, the editing is tight and effective. Stylistically, the film is perfect, or about as close to being perfect without actually being perfect as you can get. Maybe the romance is derivative, maybe it received too many Oscars, maybe the manias it started were irritating, but that is all over now. As a film, it works and then some.
Cine-Meter, 10/10
Mono-Meter, 10/10

Saw this in the cinema a few days ago (bizarre experience - 4pm on a Wednesday and I don't think there was a single empty seat in the theatre). It was like watching a whole other film to the small-screen iteration I'm familiar with - the cinema format forces you to ride the emotional journey of the film every single moment, and the 3D is incredibly immersive, it draws you right in. The result is an immeasurably more powerful, stunning and moving experience.
I'd never been entirely convinced by Titanic on the small screen, but the re-release has been one of the best cinemagoing experiences of my life. It's going right on my favourites list.

It was also the best implementation of 3D that I've seen (even including Avatar. Though, come to think of it, Titanic, Avatar and execrable Tron Legacy are my only exposure to the format to date). The 3D in the Prometheus trailer looked like it might be a strong contender for that crown though.

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Night of the Living Dead
Dawn on the Dead
Cine-Meter, 10/10
Mono-Meter, 10/10

Land of the Dead
Not that good follow up to Romero's original trilogy. This is hardly a terrible film however. Entertaining but average romp and probably the last watchable film Romero will be doing for a while. I have not seen Diary or Survival. By all accounts, they are pretty bad.
Cine-Meter, 6/10
Mono-Meter, 6.8/10

Plan on watching Day next weekend.

Titanic
Cine-Meter, 10/10
Mono-Meter, 10/10

Mah nigga. 8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed