Last Movie You Watched Part 1

Started by Ratchetcomand, Dec 08, 2007, 05:28:17 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched Part 1 (Read 1,090,738 times)

Vertigo

Vertigo

I thought The Other Guys was, sporadically, hilarious. Just lost me towards the end when it tried to be a proper action film and dropped the comedy.

First Blood

First Blood

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)

Leonardo, Michaelangelo, Donatello, Raphael, April O'Neil and Casey Jones all come together to go look for the Turtles missing master, Splinter. All the while battling the deadly Foot Clan led by The Shredder! And that's the plot in a nutshell. I haven't watched this movie in over ten years, so it was a thrill to experience it again. I think it holds up pretty well too. Some of the effects look a little dodgy today, but for the most part I think the rubber Turtle suits hold up. I much prefer them over the 'all CGI' approach that was taken with TMNT. It was also cool to see a very young Sam Rockwell as a Foot Clan thug.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Some classic sock puppet lip syncing on those Turtles.

First Blood

First Blood

Yeah, much to my surprise Corey Feldman does one of the voices. :D

Prime113

Prime113

Quote from: First Blood on Nov 21, 2012, 04:37:27 PM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)

Leonardo, Michaelangelo, Donatello, Raphael, April O'Neil and Casey Jones all come together to go look for the Turtles missing master, Splinter. All the while battling the deadly Foot Clan led by The Shredder! And that's the plot in a nutshell. I haven't watched this movie in over ten years, so it was a thrill to experience it again. I think it holds up pretty well too. Some of the effects look a little dodgy today, but for the most part I think the rubber Turtle suits hold up. I much prefer them over the 'all CGI' approach that was taken with TMNT. It was also cool to see a very young Sam Rockwell as a Foot Clan thug.

Yeeeaasss. Secret of the Ooze is one of my favorite childhood movies, and I actually watched it a few nights ago with my little brother.

First Blood

First Blood

I'll probably be watching that tonight, or a Dolph Lundgren flick. :laugh:

coolbreeze

coolbreeze

Quote from: First Blood on Nov 21, 2012, 08:23:58 PM
a Dolph Lundgren flick. :laugh:

Have you seen Dark Angel?

First Blood

First Blood

I have not. That and Silent Trigger are two of his films I really want to see. :)

But my friend lent me One in the Chamber. A DTV effort in which he faces off against Cuba Gooding Jr.

coolbreeze

coolbreeze

Quote from: First Blood on Nov 21, 2012, 08:49:48 PM
I have not. That and Silent Trigger are two of his films I really want to see. :)

But my friend lent me One in the Chamber. A DTV effort in which he faces off against Cuba Gooding Jr.

Both are good films.

One in the Chamber...It's ok. Actually one of the better DTV movies I've seen in awhile. Gooding Jr. is really good in it.

Prime113

Prime113

Quote from: First Blood on Nov 21, 2012, 08:23:58 PM
I'll probably be watching that tonight, or a Dolph Lundgren flick. :laugh:

Sweeeet. I'm actually kind've interested to hear your thoughts on it.  :D

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Iron Man 2

Thor

Captain America

Battleship

That was what we watched at my best friend's house.  8)

Charles Xavier

Charles Xavier

Quick run through of recent movies I've watched:

Paranorman: Spooky fun movie. (3.5/5).
Hotel Transylvania: Ditto, but much more cartoony. (3.5/5).
Paranormal Activity 4: Not that bad. I don't know what it is that people hate so much about this movie. (3.5/5).
Skyfall: Good (but not great), but probably one of the best Bond films we've had in a while. (4/5).
Moonrise Kingdom: Typically quirky (Wes Anderson style) but rather intriguing. (4/5).
The Royal Tenenbaums: Dark comedy about a dysfuntional family. Not bad. (3/5).
Fight Club: Gritty but not terribly appealing. (2.5/5).
Piranha 3DD: Boring with a few funny moments. (2/5).
Wreck-It Ralph: A must-see of this season. Great story, great idea, any video game lover will get a kick out of this. (4.5/5)
Argo: Intense yet not going overboard with the action. (4/5).
Lincoln: Very good for what it is (a political movie). (4.5/5).
Rise of the Guardians: Decent fantasy kids film. (3.5/5).

Now for the last movie I saw:

Ang Lee's latest thought-provoking film, based on the famous spiritual book of the same name, will leave you much to think about and perhaps discuss amongst your friends/family. Dazzling visuals and a unique story make this an enjoyable watch. Though I wish the ending wasn't so puzzling. I know the ending's meant to be ambiguous (and I do like ambiguity sometimes), but however way I look at it, it only leaves me with unanswered questions.

Spoiler
Eg If we're to assume that the story Pi told about the animals was true, just why did the tiger run away at the end so heartlessly and leave Pi on his own? Also, what really was the island Pi found with the meerkats and algae all about?
[close]

I haven't read the book by the way (gomen). So for anyone who has read the book and understands its themes better, please fill me in.

Rating: 4/5.

BTW: Gerard Depardieu's role was pretty much wasted.

Requiem28

Requiem28

Red Dawn (2012) - 8.5/10

Finally. After waiting 3 years, I got to see it.  It was surprisingly worth the wait.

The film actually has a heart and really knows how to deliver its action sequences (thanks to its director, professional stunt coordinator, Dan Bradley) There's a great sense of suspense and adrenalin in the invasion sequence and surprisingly good points of drama that helped the character development, especially between Jed and Matt (Hemsworth and Peck).  Speaking of Peck, aside from his annoying face, he's actually pretty bad ass and even funny at times in this.  Humor in the film, in general, was pretty modern and funny.  The North Koreans were pretty ass hole-ish and greatly deserved their deaths (at least a majority of them do)  The film did an alright job at portraying the North Koreans as humans too, but not as remorseful like the original was with the Cubans.  The music provided by Ramin Djawadi  definately helped amp up the payback energy that the film implied, but not as patriotic as Basil's score for the original.  There is some pretty unexpected plot twists (if you haven't seen the original, however, this is, once again, a new telling of the same story)  Also, Jed delivers the only F-bomb at the right time (Thank God!)

My only gripes about this film is that it suffers a bit from jumpy editing at points and leaves some demanding questions unanswered.

Other than that, I highly recommend this movie.  Just don't go in expecting a Chris Nolan/ Speilberg/ Tarintino/ whoever turns your gears in the right way kind of movie.  This is Dan Bradley's directoral debut, and I think he pulled it off well.  Ignore all the nostalgic reviews and check this shit out!

WOLVERINES!

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Red Dawn (2012)

I was pleasantly surprised by this. I've never seen the original, but I had fun with this one, and it had some really nice things going for it. It was fun and fast paced, but still retained a decent amount of emotional weight and managed to do a lot of things that should have been cheesy in a really cool way. That being said, it wasn't a perfect movie by any means. For a while I found it a bit hard to take Chris Hemsworth and Josh Peck seriously as brothers, although by the end I was able to buy into their relationship. There was also a bit too much shakey cam for my taste, and unfortunately some of the minor characters fell into the background a bit. The whole setup of the movie reminded me of Battle: Los Angeles but with North Koreans instead of aliens, although I will say that I found myself much more invested in the Wolverines of this film than the marines in B:LA (B:LA was a let down for me, after having such great trailers). The movie actually had quite a few decent one-liners as well.

The one part that really stands out to me was
Spoiler
Jed's (Chris Hemsworth) death scene. I had a strong feeling that he was going to die (it felt kind of integral to Matt's [Josh Peck] character's arc), but I was still surprised when it happened, and it worked really well in the film. At the end, when Josh recited his brothers' speech, it actually felt natural and quite inspiring, which is great because it could have been a really cheesy scene.
[close]

So yeah, while Red Dawn isn't a great movie or anything, I did have fun at the theater. Its not really a movie that's going to make you think, and it most definitely had problems, but I was entertained throughout.

And on a side note, I remember once after watching Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen I said that, if Isabel Lucas she played the robot chick) had more to do than look hot, she might have been decent in that movie. Flash forward to her in this and...nope. Still not that good an actress, unfortunately.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie (2004) - It was on TV and I had nothing else to watch. I still think it's a okay movie. I feel like that Spongebob should have ended after this movie. I remember try watching the newer episodes and they are terrible.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed