Last Movie You Watched Part 1

Started by Ratchetcomand, Dec 08, 2007, 05:28:17 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched Part 1 (Read 1,091,155 times)

Eva

Eva

The Evil Dead 2 is essentially a remake of the first film, just better, more refined effects work, improved picture quality etc...  :)

Forgot to mention - re-watched the Hitchcock classic North By Northwest a couple of nights ago, because they showed it in HD. So crisp picture quality - much better than my old dvd. Outstanding film - the mother of all chase/man on the run movies. Filmmaking on a level so exquisite, is very rare today. - 9.5/10

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Eva on Sep 02, 2012, 01:48:20 PM
The Evil Dead 2 is essentially a remake of the first film, just better, more refined effects work, improved picture quality etc...  :)

Apart from the beginning, I never really saw it as a remake. It was rights issues that prevented them from using footage from the first one in the recap scene.

And, to be fair, all of them contradict the previous ones quite a bit :P

Vickers

Vickers

The Cabin in the Woods

I understood the film but at the same time I thought it was a mess.

Spoiler
I liked the idea of having them killed off indirectly by people in a control room but the mix of creatures inspired by other horror films and the whole Ancient Gods element was silly to me.  I realise that's what makes the film great for some people though.  I just would have preferred a more intimate plot.  I guess I was expecting something completely different.
[close]

5/10

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I loved Cabin in the Woods mostly because it was not what I was expecting. I mean, I knew it was supposed to be different than the average horror film, but I really had no clue to what extent it would be different until I actually sat there and watched it. When things took a turn to the ridiculous, I was just having so much fun with the film and loved it! :D Its definitely not for everyone, though, and I can certainly see why people would be turned off from it.

Vickers

Vickers

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 02, 2012, 04:46:18 PM
I loved Cabin in the Woods mostly because it was not what I was expecting. I mean, I knew it was supposed to be different than the average horror film, but I really had no clue to what extent it would be different until I actually sat there and watched it. When things took a turn to the ridiculous, I was just having so much fun with the film and loved it! :D Its definitely not for everyone, though, and I can certainly see why people would be turned off from it.

Look, I applaud it for being a refreshing film and not just another reboot of a classic horror film or yet another sequel to Saw.  I must give Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard credit for that.  That's why I won't rate it any lower than 5.  But it was just not for me.  Some interesting ideas with poor execution.  But I seem to be in the minority. :P

It's one of those films that I can't recommend to anyone or even tell anyone to avoid.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Jackie Brown (1997)

Tarantino's best film lacks the self-consciously cool macho posturing of both Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction--a fact that has not endeared it to many Tarantino fans, who go to his movies for their stylized dialogue, tough guy characters and frequent bloodletting. Instead, Jackie Brown focuses on a tone of painful desperation and melancholy brought about by real life struggles; this is a film about what lives of crime would really be like, as opposed to the hip prism they're filtered through in his earlier work. This is Tarantino's most effortlessly masterful work--it never feels like he's trying too hard, and the direction and narrative unfold with a grace that's so subtle you almost don't realize how ingeniously brilliant it is. The characters and dialogue are so sharply drawn, so wholly convincing and three dimensional that even at two and a half hours long the film feels like it could go on for two and a half more and remain completely enthralling. This is easily the dark horse of the director's filmography.

10/10

Vickers

Vickers

Dark Shadows

This wasn't nearly as terrible for me as some were making it out to be.  I had no problem with the mixed tone.  I didn't even have a problem with the performances or the look of the film.  My problem is that, after the film, I'm just left wanting more.  It feels unsatisfying knowing what great potential it had.

Strangely enough, I was more interested in Angelique and the secondary characters than I was in Barnabas.  Would it kill Burton to cast an actor who isn't Johnny Depp in one of his films?  It's not like Johnny Depp guarantees him any kind of success.  I don't even have a problem with their working relationship on most films but I can't help but feel curious to see how a different actor would have handled the character.

The film is strongest in its first half and is saved by a few great performances (more specifically those of Eva Green and Helena Bonham Carter) and its score.  Apart from an interesting premise and a promising first half, the film amounts to nothing more than standard entertainment with a shaky second half and little replay value.

6/10

Edvin

Edvin

Green Lantern.

Seriously, people think Batman forever is bad?
People think Super Babies 2 is bad?
People think Son of the mask is bad?
People think Birdemic is bad?

mudduhfuggin "people" havent seen Green Lantern. there is nothing good about this movie, absolutley nothing. this is the worst piece of piss i have ever sat through. 0/10
QuoteI award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul
-Happy Madison

I also saw Pitch Black, and it f***ing rocked! whooo! 8/10

Nope

Nope

Pirates of the Carribean Dead Mans Chest
Hoe man I love dese movies, only problem I had with the film was the whole Swan love triangle felt out of character and forced.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I love the second one. My favourite. Davy Jones and the Kraken. Oh yes.

I get what they wanted to do in the third one... but I still feel Davy was misused. And just killing the Kraken like that was... eh.

Nope

Nope

I never finished the third one but all 3 get so much air time on TV i'll prolly catch it pretty soon.
I think I like the first one a little more then Dead Mans Chest. Just abit.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954)

Typical 50s creature feature replete with all the tacky speechifying, Stepford sexism and modest thrills (plus a typically didactic score--"Bam bam BAAAAM!!!") the genre is known for, but the underwater photography is nice and the Gillman himself, despite the eye-rolling fishman-wants-a-white-wimminz thing, is a fantastic creature design, and the suitwork is amazing.

6/10

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Underwater swimming scene!!!!!!!!!!!

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I want the classic monsters blu-ray boxset so bad. Creature is actually my favourite of the bunch, cannot wait to see it again.

Vickers

Vickers

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 02, 2012, 11:02:03 PM
Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954)

Typical 50s creature feature replete with all the tacky speechifying, Stepford sexism and modest thrills (plus a typically didactic score--"Bam bam BAAAAM!!!") the genre is known for, but the underwater photography is nice and the Gillman himself, despite the eye-rolling fishman-wants-a-white-wimminz thing, is a fantastic creature design, and the suitwork is amazing.

6/10

If you gave that film 6/10, I feel like I should have rated Dark Shadows higher. :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed