Last Movie You Watched Part 1

Started by Ratchetcomand, Dec 08, 2007, 05:28:17 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched Part 1 (Read 1,090,874 times)

Quote from: Dark Passenger on Mar 30, 2012, 01:54:27 PM
"Real Steel"- 5/5

I can see how people would be negative about it.
But I still loved it anyways.

i never head anything bad about it, i thought it was great too.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Fargo

A car salesman (William H. Macy) is trying to scam his father-in-law of some money, hiring two goons to stage a kidnapping of his wife. Needless to say, things go wrong and continues to do so throughout the movie.

What the hell did I just watch? I went into this having no idea what it was about (except that it was going to feature a wood chipper at the end) and I will say I ended up liking it. Maybe not as much as the Coen Brothers other work (True Grit and The Big Lebowski in particular), but still a solid piece. Just as with Reservoir Dogs, "Mr. Blonde" in this one was also a troubled and disturbing individual. Both Stormare and Buscemi delivered some memorable performances. As did William H. Macy, who did a good job of portraying a really patethic character. I almost felt sorry for him. Almost.

I really liked Frances McDormand's character though, Chief Gunderson. She had a very odd behaviour to her and kept an almost unnatural calm throughout the movie. A very nice shift in character from the annoying woman I remembered her as in Burn After Reading.

By the way, what was up with the accents in this? I first thought it was only Macy and his family that would talk like that, but the whole town (or even the state) seem to share it with them. Not that I mind, it just added some more character to these people.

To sum it up; a very dark comedy that got surprisingly violent. I liked it.

And based on this, you better watch yourself around me, First Blood.

7/10

Space Sweeper

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 30, 2012, 06:13:55 PM
And based on this, you better watch yourself around me, First Blood.

Imma' stay away from wood chippers for a while. >_>

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Mar 30, 2012, 06:21:01 PMhttp://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/002/830/sad_frog.jpg
It's not a bad rating, I did like the movie. It just never really blew me away. :)

Quote from: First Blood on Mar 30, 2012, 06:22:51 PMImma' stay away from wood chippers for a while. >_>
You do that. And don't you think of taking the car.

Next up on the movie schedule is Manhunter.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 30, 2012, 06:27:10 PM
Next up on the movie schedule is Manhunter.

First time, or giving it a rewatch?

Shasvre

Shasvre

It's my first time. I've seen Red Dragon though. Is it the same basic story?

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

...And take him to pancake's house.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 30, 2012, 06:30:52 PM

Yeah, same basic premise. Expect far less Lecter though. And, stay on the lookout for a very young and almost unrecognizable Stephen Lang.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 30, 2012, 06:30:52 PM

It's not as strict/loyal an adaption of the book as Red Dragon is - a couple of details have been changed or omitted altogether. I'll add that William Petersen is quite superb as the deeply haunted Graham, not to mention the rest of the cast. Tom Noonan delivers a chilling portrait of a very disturbed and socially reclusive induvidual. Manhunter has all the trademarks of a wellmade Michael Mann film, although it's also clearly a product of its time visually, soundtrackwise and stylistically.

Definately give it a chance if the opportunity offers itself. To me, Manhunter is vastly superior to Red Dragon, but that's me...  :)

First Blood

First Blood

Yeah, Noonan definitely gave me the creeps in that movie, more so than Ralph Fiennes' interpretation. That was some fine casting in Mann's film.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 30, 2012, 06:13:55 PM
Fargo

By the way, what was up with the accents in this? I first thought it was only Macy and his family that would talk like that, but the whole town (or even the state) seem to share it with them. Not that I mind, it just added some more character to these people.

I had the pleasure of visiting Minnesota a few years back on a business trip. THEY ALL ARE LIKE THAT. With the immigrated Somalian population excluded. They call it "Minnesota nice."

Tons of "ehs" and "You betcha's."

Cohen's have a love of geographical dialects and cultures. They nailed it with Fargo from what I saw.

Quote from: Eva on Mar 30, 2012, 06:51:27 PM
To me, Manhunter is vastly superior to Red Dragon, but that's me...  :)

I vastly share this opinion.

Hudson

Hudson

I'll back up the Minnesota accent thing. I'm from Illinois and I definitely see people from there and also Wisconsin with very distinct regional accents. Nothing really from Michigan though...friggin' scumbags...  :P

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 30, 2012, 07:18:33 PM
Nothing really from Michigan though...friggin' scumbags...  :P

Hey! Watch who your callin' a scumbag! My wife is a Kalamazoo girl!  :P

Hudson

Hudson

Michigan and Ohio...I pray for them everyday.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed