Last Movie You Watched Part 1

Started by Ratchetcomand, Dec 08, 2007, 05:28:17 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched Part 1 (Read 1,091,236 times)

severen76

severen76

Quote from: AvatarIII on Mar 20, 2011, 12:27:53 PM
Whiteout 7/10

I remember seeing a trailer for that, and it made the film seem like a big budget creature feature. Disappointed when I found out it wasn't, but I'm still interested in seeing what it's like.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Monolith, you will be happy!

2001: A Space Odyssey

Before I say anything, I just want to mention that there are movies like, say, Skyline, that make me feel like an idiot while watching them, just because they are so stupid. Well, 2001 left me with that same feeling. But I'm not saying that 2001 was stupid, not by any means. 2001 was one of the, if not the most, smartest movies I have ever seen.

I also have to mention that i zoned out for maybe five minutes near the beginning, but it was a couple shots of ships flying, and I was still awake to comprehend what happened through the magic of rewind.

Anyways, I have to say that I absolutely loved the movie. It was breathtaking, in terms of both story and visuals. But, about that story, I still feel like a complete idiot. The last 20, maybe 30 minutes left me staring at the screen, wondering what was happening. Even after looking it up online, I am still confused. I am making sense of it now, but its hard to comprehend. And that's not a bad thing. Not at all. I love it, actually. I can't get it out of my mind. I am slowly figuring it out, but its going to take a little time, even with the internet.

The pacing was very slow, which I actually really liked. I like how the different stories kind of intertwined through The Monolith, even if it still doesn't make complete sense to me. I like that it challenges me and makes me think in ways I never would have. It confuses me, it amazes me, it makes me love it and hate it at the same time.

I am going to try to rewatch it either this week or next weekend, just to try to make more sense of it. It was a truly amazing movie, and I want to go deeper into it and find out more of what it means. I think I may want to read the book, too. But not until after I rewatch the movie at least once more.

This was a great piece of classic film, and I hate myself for delaying my viewing of it for so long. Now I can't wait to watch it again. I need to make sense of what I just saw. I need to stop my head from hurting...

At this time, I can not give it a numerical rating. Maybe after another viewing.

So there you go, Monolith, I watched it. Thank you for recommending it, and I will never be able to look at your avatar the same way again :P

Snowdog

Snowdog

Star Wars Episode 1

(Never saw star wars before so last week i began watching episode 4/5/6 and i liked them a lot)
Just finished watching episode 1. And i didn't like it at all. The kid couldn't act, Jar Jar is the most irritating sidekick ever. and i had the feeling a lot of forced comedy was forced down my throat. The only thing i loved about the movie was the final battle with Darth Maul (It was well filmed and the soundtrack was more then epic). Hope episode 2 and 3 are better. I will find out soon i guess :P But before i begin an war on the forum again xD i want to repeat that i liked the old movies a lot (episode 4/5/6/).

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Saw the final minutes of 500 days of Summer. I think I'll give this film a second go, the part where JGL is sitting next (near the end of the film) to Zooey is really sad, well at least I find it to be that way.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 20, 2011, 11:42:45 PM
Monolith, you will be happy!

2001: A Space Odyssey

Before I say anything, I just want to mention that there are movies like, say, Skyline, that make me feel like an idiot while watching them, just because they are so stupid. Well, 2001 left me with that same feeling. But I'm not saying that 2001 was stupid, not by any means. 2001 was one of the, if not the most, smartest movies I have ever seen.

I also have to mention that i zoned out for maybe five minutes near the beginning, but it was a couple shots of ships flying, and I was still awake to comprehend what happened through the magic of rewind.

Anyways, I have to say that I absolutely loved the movie. It was breathtaking, in terms of both story and visuals. But, about that story, I still feel like a complete idiot. The last 20, maybe 30 minutes left me staring at the screen, wondering what was happening. Even after looking it up online, I am still confused. I am making sense of it now, but its hard to comprehend. And that's not a bad thing. Not at all. I love it, actually. I can't get it out of my mind. I am slowly figuring it out, but its going to take a little time, even with the internet.

The pacing was very slow, which I actually really liked. I like how the different stories kind of intertwined through The Monolith, even if it still doesn't make complete sense to me. I like that it challenges me and makes me think in ways I never would have. It confuses me, it amazes me, it makes me love it and hate it at the same time.

I am going to try to rewatch it either this week or next weekend, just to try to make more sense of it. It was a truly amazing movie, and I want to go deeper into it and find out more of what it means. I think I may want to read the book, too. But not until after I rewatch the movie at least once more.

This was a great piece of classic film, and I hate myself for delaying my viewing of it for so long. Now I can't wait to watch it again. I need to make sense of what I just saw. I need to stop my head from hurting...

At this time, I can not give it a numerical rating. Maybe after another viewing.

So there you go, Monolith, I watched it. Thank you for recommending it, and I will never be able to look at your avatar the same way again :P
Well there it is. That is a thinker's movie. There are precious few of those.
How about that Star Gate?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

It was...beautiful...And oh so confusing. I can't wait to rewatch the movie, to make sense of what I just saw.

Do you think I should see the sequel?

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

I did.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

I love the final act of the film. So dazzling and dreamlike.

As for the sequel...
Stylistically it is very different, losing the classical soundtrack (with the exception of Thus Spoke Zarathustra) and the no sound in space idea. There is much more dialogue and more time is spent on Earth than in the first film. There are however great actors in it like Roy Scheider and John Lithgow. Kier Dullea and Douglas Rain also return as Dave and Hal and both do superb jobs. The story moves along nicely and it compliments the original well enough.
The plot is that the US and Russians team up and go back to Discovery to study the Monolith at Jupiter and solve the mystery of what happened to Bowman amidst political turmoil on Earth.
While 2001 is a perfect 10, 2010 comes in at a respectable 7.5. Not as good, but still great fun and it doesn't tarnish Kubrick's masterpiece.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I might check out 2010 eventually, but for now, I'll stick with 2001.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

I watched both of them on the same day, along with Blade Runner the final cut or whatever, and I don't know how I survived.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Maybe those seven stars helped you out.  ;)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Speaking of stars, am I missing something? I never heard a character say: "My God, its full of stars"

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: ShadowPred on Mar 21, 2011, 01:14:31 AM
I watched both of them on the same day, along with Blade Runner the final cut or whatever, and I don't know how I survived.

Damn, bro. That sounds intense. I would mixed things up with some Robocop 2, myself.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

This was long before I got those seven stars, this was around the time where I was still chasing the girl of my dreams and watching  these movies as I spoke to her about her prom date, lol.

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on Mar 21, 2011, 01:16:49 AM
Quote from: ShadowPred on Mar 21, 2011, 01:14:31 AM

Damn, bro. That sounds intense. I would mixed things up with some Robocop 2, myself.

One of these days I'm going to do a 24 hour Sci-Fi run, and record it.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 21, 2011, 01:16:42 AM
Speaking of stars, am I missing something? I never heard a character say: "My God, its full of stars"

Only in the book and the movie sequel do you see it happen.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

OK, thanks Shadow. I thought I was missing something.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed