Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,532 times)

Remonster

Remonster

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 28, 2010, 06:15:01 PM
Unsettling? That's a strong word to use. I agree they were scary, but how were they unsettling?

In how they were portrayed as such smart, clever animals. Using teamwork and brains to flush out and kill their prey.

Keg

Keg

Well if theyve unsettled the viewer then they are unsettling. They may not be to everybody but i kinda agree. Thats why i though the new raptors in JP3 where rubbish. Yeah they where closer to reality and what we know about raptors but those big, bulky raptors with their piercing stare from the first movie are really creepy. Theyre unsettling because you get the sense that they are just as smart as you. In JP3 they just felt like animals, in JP they where presented as almost like a serial killers.

ShadowStalker

ShadowStalker

How about the Utahraptor...that was supposedly the biggest of the raptor species thats been found to date, or last time ive checked

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Keg on Mar 28, 2010, 08:06:32 PM
Well if theyve unsettled the viewer then they are unsettling. They may not be to everybody but i kinda agree. Thats why i though the new raptors in JP3 where rubbish. Yeah they where closer to reality and what we know about raptors but those big, bulky raptors with their piercing stare from the first movie are really creepy. Theyre unsettling because you get the sense that they are just as smart as you. In JP3 they just felt like animals, in JP they where presented as almost like a serial killers.

In JP3 they snapped a man's neck and glared at their prey. I'd say that's even scarier.

Keg

Keg

Holy moly just been doing a spot of research on Raptors and who ever mentioned Utahraptors as being the biggest heres a comparison. Holy hell. Theyre bloody huge.

Utahraptor

Velociraptor

Deinonychus

Looking at the size of a velociraptor the ones in JP3 are still massively innacurate so why they felt they needed to change them from their awesome original design is beyond me. The raptors in JP are even bigger than a Deinonychus. I say balls to what they are in reality. They established what they wanted in the first movie and they should of stuck with it.

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

theyve gotta use Utahraptor in future installments.  :D

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Wasn't it Utahraptor Ostrommaysi? ???
The JP raptors look just a bit smaller than the Utahraptor. But who says Deinonychus couldn't just grow larger? We've found few specimens.

Puks

Puks

The "Velociraptor" in JP was Deinonychus, just a little big bigger. Utahraptor hadn't even been discovered at the time.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I remember something from Bakker... Spielberg! I found your Raptor! ;D
I don't remember where I read it though..

SiL

SiL

I think they found Utahraptor during JP's development.

Keg

Keg

looking at the pictures of the deinonychus and utahraptor id say the Velociraptors in JP where pretty much bang inbetween the two. The deinonychus being 3m long and the utaraptor being 7m long (obviously the biggest ones discovered an like you said they aint found many deinonychus) then the raptors in the movie would probably have been 5m.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SiL on Mar 29, 2010, 08:24:20 AM

They did. It was discovered in 1991.

The animals you see in the film are moe like Deinonychus than anything else, but the reason they used the name Velociraptor as opposed to Deinonychus is, as I understood it, Velociraptor sounded much more exotic.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 29, 2010, 02:21:39 PM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 29, 2010, 08:24:20 AM

They did. It was discovered in 1991.

The animals you see in the film are moe like Deinonychus than anything else, but the reason they used the name Velociraptor as opposed to Deinonychus is, as I understood it, Velociraptor sounded much more exotic.
And terrifying.
And Commercial.

But if I'm not wrong at the times of the book, Deinonychus was considered just a larger specimen of Velociraptor.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Don't think so, pretty sure they've always been considered separate species.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Velociraptor (dubbed simply "raptor" in the film) also has a major role and is portrayed as the film's antagonist. The animal's depiction was not based on the actual dinosaur species in question (which itself was significantly smaller), rather the related (and larger) species Deinonychus, which was called Velociraptor antirrhopus by some scientists. Crichton's writing followed this, but by the time production of the film took place, the idea had been dropped by the scientific community.
Source

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed