Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,366,918 times)

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

The lack of T-Rex (I know he was in it, but it was such a pathetic cameo), and the new Velociraptor design made me very sadface. I was pretty dissapointing, with the one redeeming thing being the fantastic Spinosaurus design (I just wish he wasn't the main antagonist).

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Feb 04, 2010, 03:27:15 AM
Figured they overdid it on the second film which never needed all that San Diego garbage, so trimmed the third to make up for it.

I don't understand why that sequence is so disliked. I found it entertaining; nice little references to past movies too (T.Rex scratching his ear=Rex doing the same in 1933 Kong).

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

I never understood why The Lost World was so disliked. Seriously, I thought it was amazing (it might even be my favourite).

Even if somebody told me in the clearest detail, right to my face, I would still have a difficult time understanding what was so bad about it.

PS- It was also my favourite of the two novels.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: "The Space Sweeper" on Feb 04, 2010, 07:35:38 AM
I never understood why The Lost World was so disliked. Seriously, I thought it was amazing (it might even be my favourite).

Even if somebody told me in the clearest detail, right to my face, I would still have a difficult time understanding what was so bad about it.

I loved the Lost World, I really liked the whole INGEN storming the Island scene. Also Jeff Goldblum was the lead! Jeff is great!

My favorite scene in the movie is the long grass/raptor scene..."Don't go into the long grass!"

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Alienseseses on Feb 04, 2010, 01:37:24 AM
It didn't piss?

Pretty sure I read that somewhere, and if you think about it, it makes sense. Birds are probably closely related to therapods, and they don't urinate either.

I never understood the hate either. It used to be my favourite of the two (I've recently matured a little, which sent Jurassic Park back to #1). It was entertaining, and still had iconic scenes with good acting and CGI. However, the book was my least favourite of Crichton's work, with the exception of State of Fear.

SM

SM

Lost World starts with a great premise (in spite of the "Oh!  Another island with dinosaurs!  How convenient!" thing), and cracks along really well until the van falls off the cliff.  That sequence is never topped for the rest of the film.

After that things get a bit silly.  And I'm not even talking about Malcolm's daughter doing the gymnastics thing.  More like Roland telling the InGen guy not to set up on a game trail - then tells everyone to sleep in a creek bed - because of course dinosaurs don't need to drink.  And Peter Stormare wandering off was dopey too.  The long grass scene was decent, but once the Venture got to San Diego and Spielberg got to do his King Kong homage - it was just self indulgent and went into the realms of fantasy.  Plus you lost two of the best characters in Vince Vaughn and Pete Postlethwaite.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Feb 05, 2010, 01:06:25 AMMore like Roland telling the InGen guy not to set up on a game trail - then tells everyone to sleep in a creek bed - because of course dinosaurs don't need to drink.

Point taken, but considering they'd been hiking all day long, I doubt the potential implications of where they were sleeping even crossed their minds since they were so tired.

Quote from: SM on Feb 05, 2010, 01:06:25 AMAnd Peter Stormare wandering off was dopey too.

Why? Anyone could have gotten lost.

Quote from: SM on Feb 05, 2010, 01:06:25 AMThe long grass scene was decent, but once the Venture got to San Diego and Spielberg got to do his King Kong homage - it was just self indulgent and went into the realms of fantasy

Not entirely, because I think that unless someone had seen King Kong and really known about those little references, you wouldn't notice them. I love the original KK and even I didn't realize what they were until I read about them.

Shasvre

Shasvre

While I loved the movie I still think the book was much better. It's been years since I read it though, so I should probably pick it up again to refresh my memory. :)

BTW, did the T-Rex make it to San Diego in the book? Because that was one part I never really liked about the movie. :-\

Skinner

Skinner

T-Rex was never in San Diego in the book.

SM

SM

QuotePoint taken, but considering they'd been hiking all day long, I doubt the potential implications of where they were sleeping even crossed their minds since they were so tired.

Weak.  Roland was in charge and went to great lengths earlier about game trails.  It made him look dumb.

QuoteWhy? Anyone could have gotten lost.

It was just - I dunno... dopey.  For a start you have a drunken thug - why?  Why does Roland even want him there?  Then you have Carter (I think?) who's just listening to his walkman.  Despite the poetic justice involved it was overall a dumb sequence.

QuoteNot entirely, because I think that unless someone had seen King Kong and really known about those little references, you wouldn't notice them.

King Kong was and is an enormously popular movie.  I'm sure a lot of people would've picked up on the references.  And that's not even really a problem as such.  The whole thing about the Rex being locked up but everyone on the ship dead, really, really pushed credibility - and then it got worse with the Rex stomping around the city.

I've always though the film should've ended on a cliffhanger when Malcolm et al depart and see the Rex captured.  That way Roland and Vince Vaughn could've been brought back for the third flick.  The final act of JP2 looked and felt like an entirely different film anyway.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I didn't dislike JP2, but the Lost World novel was way better and I wished it would have been more like it.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Feb 05, 2010, 01:51:38 AM
It was just - I dunno... dopey.  For a start you have a drunken thug - why?  Why does Roland even want him there?  Then you have Carter (I think?) who's just listening to his walkman.  Despite the poetic justice involved it was overall a dumb sequence.

Was he drunk? I don't recall seeing him drink. And yes, his sidekick's name was Carter.

QuoteNot entirely, because I think that unless someone had seen King Kong and really known about those little references, you wouldn't notice them.

Quote from: SM on Feb 05, 2010, 01:51:38 AMThe whole thing about the Rex being locked up but everyone on the ship dead, really, really pushed credibility - and then it got worse with the Rex stomping around the city.

Have to agree there. I cannot understand how the hell it even happened. How the f**k does a dinosaur in a cargo hold eat the crew on the bridge?

Quote from: SM on Feb 05, 2010, 01:51:38 AMI've always though the film should've ended on a cliffhanger when Malcolm et al depart and see the Rex captured.  That way Roland and Vince Vaughn could've been brought back for the third flick.  The final act of JP2 looked and felt like an entirely different film anyway.

What sort of cliffhanger? Malcolm and Harding saw the Rex leave.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 05, 2010, 04:35:34 AMHave to agree there. I cannot understand how the hell it even happened. How the f**k does a dinosaur in a cargo hold eat the crew on the bridge?

If I remember correctly they intended to film a scene where a pack of Velociraptors snuck onboard and killed the crew.

First Blood

First Blood

Yep, Shasvre is correct.

Originally, Spielberg wanted Raptors on the boat, hence the severed arm on wheel, and the other bodies. But they changed it at the last second.

Hybrid PM

Hybrid PM

I beleive the original ending of The Lost World as it was written in the screenplay was more reminiscent the ending of the first movie.

It was supposed to be Ian, Sarah and the girl trapped by the raptors outside the shed. The raptors are about to pounce on them like the end of the first movie until a group of Pteronadons swoop in and save the day. A ratpor/Pteronadon fight ensues allowing the group to escape.... END MOVIE.  But Spielberg's ego got in the way.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed