Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,366,863 times)

Elliott

Elliott

Or the Red Queen theory, and Gambler's Ruin.  :P

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Galliruler on Dec 03, 2009, 10:15:41 PM
Quote from: War Wager on Dec 03, 2009, 10:09:26 PM
Wasn't Isla Nublar nuked in the first novel?
Yes. And Dr. Ian Malcolm died. But in the second novel, he returns...

No it wasn't nuked just destroyed and the animals killed. Malcolm was rumoured to be dead so much so that he was filed as deceased but actually survived the incident.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Whatever. The first movie stands on its own.

Elliott

Elliott

Quote from: Alien³ on Dec 03, 2009, 11:07:31 PM

No it wasn't nuked just destroyed and the animals killed. Malcolm was rumoured to be dead so much so that he was filed as deceased but actually survived the incident.
In the book it was nuked. The poor Hypsolophidons were nuked. :(

Puks

Puks

It's Hypsilophodon.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

No, it's Hapsakalakalakalakadon.

Skinner

Skinner

Why is the dilophosaurus so undersized in the first movie?

Hybrid PM

Hybrid PM

Because Speilberg didn't want the general audience to confuse Diphoposaurus with the Raptor. So he made it smaller and gave it a frill and the ability to spit venom. The raptors are actually Deinonychus. Velociraptors are smaller.  

Skinner

Skinner

Oh. They could of made it it's actual 8 foot tall size and the audience probably wouldn't have gotten confused with the velociraptors.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Hybrid PM on Dec 04, 2009, 12:44:00 AM
The raptors are actually Dinonicus.
Yet they're closer to Utahraptors in height ... although Utahraptors are thought to be even bigger still. Deinonychus only had a hip height of less than a meter.

Ultimately they're not really any kind of dromaeosauridae - Speilberg didn't like the real raptor's size and so jacked it up.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Galliruler on Dec 03, 2009, 11:59:57 PM
Quote from: Alien³ on Dec 03, 2009, 11:07:31 PM

In the book it was nuked. The poor Hypsolophidons were nuked. :(

It wasn't nuked. I don't think Costa Rica even has nukes. They firebombed the island, destroying the vast majority of the flora and fauna that inhabited it, as well as the InGen facilities. Believe me, I know. I've read that baby twice. Crichton's best work, in my opinion. I think it was better than the film, personally.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SiL on Dec 04, 2009, 01:09:42 AM
Quote from: Hybrid PM on Dec 04, 2009, 12:44:00 AM
The raptors are actually Dinonicus.
Yet they're closer to Utahraptors in height ... although Utahraptors are thought to be even bigger still. Deinonychus only had a hip height of less than a meter.

Ultimately they're not really any kind of dromaeosauridae - Speilberg didn't like the real raptor's size and so jacked it up.

Indeed. Not to mention, he used the name Velociraptor because it's more exotic than Deinonychus.

Velociraptor--> swift thief
Deinonychus--> terrible claw

Xhan

Xhan

umm Utah Raptors were 9-12 feet HIGH, not 9-12 long. If there was a Utah Raptor in the movie it would have eaten the T-Rex.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Utahraptor_size_estimate_chart.svg

Nychus is what the JP monsters were based on as opposed to turkey sized Velociraptors.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xhan on Dec 04, 2009, 03:02:53 AM
umm Utah Raptors were 9-12 feet HIGH, not 9-12 long. If there was a Utah Raptor in the movie it would have eaten the T-Rex.
"Even bigger still" kind of covered that.

QuoteNychus is what the JP monsters were based on as opossed ot  turkey sized velociraptors.
Yes. But they're still too big for Deinonychus.

Hence my last sentence - They're not any member of dromaeosauridae.

Xhan

Xhan

Kind of like a Great White is kind of larger than a minnow?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed